Can download some files, but not others?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cerq
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Can download some files, but not others? Reply with quote

For some reason my users can download most files from my server, but not others within the same directory. I've cleaned up the hard drives by running perfect disk (very good program). I can see, upload, download, and install the programs from my server over my inhouse netrwork. As I support over 35 techs in the field , this has become a very big problem.
I need help on this.
Thanks for all the help in the past. Tony C.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you be a bit more descriptive? As tech support, you should know how important it is to include as much detail as possible ;)

Is there anything to distinguish the files your users can and can't download from each other? e.g large files don't work / small files do, or wierd characters in file names etc

What error does the user receive in the browser when trying to download? If they don't receive an error, what are the symptoms? File never downloads/starts to download then fails etc...

Do any errors show up in the access log when a users download fails?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Can download some files, but not others? Reply with quote

cerq,

Are the files that fail to download listed in access.log file. What is the error code that they have in common (404 or another?)
cerq
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Can not download files Reply with quote

Item #1
This is just an sample of a directory.
The txt files will show on the web when you click to display.
However the exe file will not , see item #2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Item #1
../ -- 21/08/2004 15:20:24 Directory
cubis code.txt 46 b 02/02/2003 03:20:40 text/plain
cubisdeluxe (1).exe 2762 K 12/01/2003 16:28:36 application/octet-stream
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Item #2
The page cannot be displayed
There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.

Please try the following:

Open the 66.27.141.69:8050 home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Click Search to look for information on the Internet.
You can also see a list of related sites.

HTTP 500 - Internal server error
Internet Explorer
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Can not download files Reply with quote

cerq,

It is probably because your have configured Abyss to consider all .exe files as CGI applications. So Abyss is trying to execute .exe on the server instead of sending it as a file.

How have you configured your "Script Paths" table?
cerq
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Can not download files Reply with quote

aprelium wrote:
cerq,

It is probably because your have configured Abyss to consider all .exe files as CGI applications. So Abyss is trying to execute .exe on the server instead of sending it as a file.

How have you configured your "Script Paths" table?

I am running X1 on a win2000 server. As far as I can see I have nothing different from my workstation's copy of abyss than my server's copy as far as the config file is. Them seen to be line by line the same until you get to the alias, then they are different of coruse. My workstation right now is running thr brunt of my downloads until I can get this problem fixed.

I've also looked at my router setting and all seems correct.

What more info would you like me to send?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Can not download files Reply with quote

cerq,

Sending us your abyss.conf file and a compressed copy of your access.log file can help locate the issue.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
cerq
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Can not download files Reply with quote

admin wrote:
cerq,

Sending us your abyss.conf file and a compressed copy of your access.log file can help locate the issue.

You won't belive this but I fixed it.

I was looking at a old printout of the config file. After printing out the current one, I saw a "/" in the cgi script. After removeing it, all is good now. Sorry to put you thuroght all of this. I will be haveing a talk with the other site manager about making changes to the settings.

Once again I can not asy enought about the outstanding help that is given out here. Hats off to all who run this site.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Can not download files Reply with quote

cerq wrote:

You won't belive this but I fixed it.

I was looking at a old printout of the config file. After printing out the current one, I saw a "/" in the cgi script. After removeing it, all is good now. Sorry to put you thuroght all of this. I will be haveing a talk with the other site manager about making changes to the settings.

Once again I can not asy enought about the outstanding help that is given out here. Hats off to all who run this site.

/ in CGI/Script Paths makes every files a possible candidate for CGI execution and especially .exe files, hence the error.

Many thanks for your comment about our support (although it appears that we still have not replied to a request you've sent by email on June 10).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: