Trying to use I.E. as the browser for accessing 127.0.0.1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfdutcher
-

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Trying to use I.E. as the browser for accessing 127.0.0.1 Reply with quote

I am trying to develope at work where I cannot connect to a phone for dial-up which is my usual mode of operation. If I let my usual connection object
display on starting I.E. it actually goes into an error loop if I click connect and no modem and line are available. I changed my default URL to 127.0.0.1
and this stopped the looping....but it will not 'connect' to the running Abyss server either. It pulls a page from history. I think I understand that I.E. wants a connection via dial-up before it will even attempt a Abyss...and hence won't let me 'get into' the server.

Yet I know I have used various personal webservers when I had no dial-up
line available before via I.E. Does anyone know what I need to do to let I.E. get to Abyss with no phone line available ?
-

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to use I.E. as the browser for accessing 127.0.0 Reply with quote

jfdutcher,

If IE asks for a dial-up connection when you browse http://127.0.0.1 then you should update its configuration. This is an IE problem and is not related to Abyss Web Server. If you use FireFox or Opera you won't have that behavior.

Open an IE window, select Tools > Internet Options... . In the displayed dialog, select Connections tab. You should find "Always Dial my default connection" selected. All you have to do now is to select "Dial whenever a network connection is not present" instead. Press OK and enjoy.
jfdutcher
-

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: I.E. Localhost Reply with quote

Unfortunately nothing different happens.
I agree that I.E. is a poor product to use when simply wanting to access localhost and that it is not an Abyss issue.
I seem to have success if 'connected' to the internet via modem
but have tried all three settings to no avail: 1) Always dial, 2) Never dial,
and 3) Dial when a network connection etc.

Some 'googling' there is some way of adding a dialup adapter as a way to
permit TCP/IP connections to localhost in modemless and NIC less machines, but my Win 200 Pro Control Panel doesn't seem to have the oft referred to 'Network' icon to be used as the starting point.

I'll try and get Mozilla perhaps...I think free Opera still has annoying advertisements. Thanks much, JOhn D.
-

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to previous post on the issue....I'm working guess how Reply with quote

I changed my browse address from 127.0.0.1 to localhost and the pages
started being retrieved from AByss.

I have seen this issue before....why the two URLs aren't interchangeable
I don't know. My 'hosts' file has the usual single entry in it for the
relationship: 127.0.0.1 localhost .

Just wanted to point this out .... and acknowledge the validity of your answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> FastCGI/CGI All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: