cannot load mysql extension

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caduceus
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: cannot load mysql extension Reply with quote

The subject is the error msg I receive when trying to access phpadmin through my browser.

I'm running a PII 400MHz Win98 w/256Mb RAM. Abyss is up and running wonderfully and I even have a green light in MySQL (YEEE HAAA!!!!!). I installed phpMyAdmin following the tutorials, and....the dreaded error message...cannot load mysql extension, please check PHP Configuration.

Well, there's a documentation link with that message and it says:

[1.20] I receive the error "cannot load MySQL extension, please check PHP Configuration". To connect to a MySQL server, PHP needs a set of MySQL functions called "MySQL extension". This extension may be part of the PHP distribution (compiled-in), otherwise it needs to be loaded dynamically. Its name is probably mysql.so or php_mysql.dll. phpMyAdmin tried to load the extension but failed.

Usually, the problem is solved by installing a software package called "PHP-MySQL" or something similar.

No only can I NOT find either of the two referenced files, I can't find any references to a software "package" called "PHP-MySQL" or anything "similar".

Any suggestions???
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: cannot load mysql extension Reply with quote

Caduceus,

If you are using PHP 5, you should manually activate the MySQL support. Please read the following pages for more information:

http://uk.php.net/manual/en/faq.migration5.php#faq.migration5.mysql
http://uk.php.net/manual/en/faq.databases.php#faq.databases.mysql.php5
http://www.notestips.com/80256B3A007F2692/1/TAIO-64MEGD
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Caduceus
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: MySQL 5 Extensions Reply with quote

Thank you for the links. However, there appears to be a bit of a problem.

Either the links are providing some really weird info or my autoexec.bat file is truly screwed. There is no path with the word "windows" in it. The following is the only path I can see:

SET PATH=D:\Perl\bin\;%PATH%

And I'm not using Perl.

So what should I do now? reinstall windows?

Thanks again
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: MySQL 5 Extensions Reply with quote

Caduceus wrote:
Thank you for the links. However, there appears to be a bit of a problem.

Either the links are providing some really weird info or my autoexec.bat file is truly screwed. There is no path with the word "windows" in it. The following is the only path I can see:

And I'm not using Perl.

So what should I do now? reinstall windows?

Thanks again

What is your Windows version? Usually when you're inside Windows, it adds its standard paths C:\WINDOWS and C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND to the PATH variable. So you do not need to explicitly add them.
Caduceus
-

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running a PII 400MHz 256Mb RAM w/WIN98 (definately NOT SE).

C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\BOOTUP.EXE
LH C:\WINDOWS\AU30DOS.COM
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D3 T4

Set tvdumpflags=10
Set tvdumpflags=10
del c:\windows\cookies\index.dat
Set tvdumpflags=10

That's my whole autoexec.bat file.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caduceus,

You may find the instructions in http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/php-isapi.html useful. Although they explain how to set up the ISAPI version of PHP, the first part is about configuring PATH .
Caduceus
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: I am NOT lost...I'm just a tad bit confused Reply with quote

or so I keep saying to myself.

Ok. I don't understand this. I downloaded, unzipped and installed PHP5 to my dedicated drive. It's there. I can see the directory. But I can tell you what isn't there...either of the 2 dll's referenced in the tutorial you referred me to.

So, now I have a win9x program that doesn't write out it's paths...AND...
a PHP program that doesn't show it's dll's.

And YET,

Not only does my Abyss work so very well, I have a chat room and a forum running on my site (neither of which require MySQL). Preferrably, I'd like to run phpbb2, but how in the world can anyone do that when the files appear to be lost???

Lost 1
olly86
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please read: http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6244&highlight=mysql+extension
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: MySQL Greenlight...phpmyadmin...nada Reply with quote

I followed the recommended steps in the topic you referenced. I downloaded and installed the binaries, then the pecl extensions (where I found all of the referenced dll's), copied those into the ext folder of php, modified the php.ini file, and.....VOILA!!!!

nuttin

I do have mysql running green...which is really cool just to see that darned light. But when I type http://localhost/phpadmin I get a 500 internal server
error.

Any suggestions?
olly86
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post your PHP config settings as shown in Abyss' console?
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: php config Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for or not...if not, let me know

interpreters: D:\Php\php-cgi.exe
script paths: /*.php
custom environment: REDIRECT_STATUS 200

I hope this is what you're looking for.

I just (literally) changed the interpreter from D:\Php\php.exe to the one that's shown above. Just decided to give it a try since php.exe didn't seem to work.
[/img]
Caduceus
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Back to Square 1 Reply with quote

After having gone through all of the tutorials and having some assistance from another on here, I've now gone backwards.

I installed the pecl extensions as called for in the tutorials/directions, etc.

I've installed the binary of PHP5.

I've configured PHP to the recommended settings and the php.ini file has been modified.

NOW, neither my chat nor forum work both of which worked yesterday.

Not working = I get nothing. No pages, no error msgs....nada.

I've tried to remember what I changed and work backward, but all that's doing is making matters worse.

What now???? Another reinstall?
Caduceus
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: The Nuclear Option Reply with quote

I've decided to obliterate the entire install and start from scratch.

Thanks anyway.
Caduceus
-

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: OK - The hair is gone and the eyebrows are next! Reply with quote

Alrighty then

Well, let's see....I formatted the "D" drive.

Reinstalled Abyss
Reinstalled PHP5
Reinstalled the pecl extensions
Reinstalled MySQL
Reinstalled phpMyAdmin
Reinstalled BlabLite 2.2
Reinstalled eForum 2.2

All in that order

Results:

1. Abyss, as usual, works wonderfully...fast, efficient, small footprint
2. PHP5 is obviously working and no big deal about the install...followed TRUSTpunk's tutorial...worked great
3. MySQL was straightforward...didn't do any configuring though...TRUSTpunk's tutorial said we'd get to it in phpMyAdmin...only can't get that far since I get this message

cannot load mysql extension,
please check PHP Configuration

4. Blab works great (doesn't rely on MySQL)
5. eForum works just as well (also, doesn't rely on MySQL)

Problem is - I need MySQL in order to switch to phpbb2 as well as to run some other programs so my site will do what I need it to do.

Have I stumped anyone yet???? lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> PHP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: