This has been asked a million times.......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mommasboy
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: This has been asked a million times....... Reply with quote

I've been playing with this thing for....2 weeks or so, and for the life of me still cannot get an outside computer to connect. I've read and read these forums and read the FAQ till im out of solutions. I have however managed to answer everthing i needed off the forums up to this point.
Instead of me asking the same old tired questions ill start by telling you what i have done and maybe you can see somthing iv'e missed, or even may have messed up.

1) I port forwarded my router using port 600, pointing it to my internal address. "i currantly only have one computer connected to cut confusion".

2) I went into the console under server configuration and set port to 600.

3) I completly disabled my mcafee firewall, turned off.

4) windows firewall is turned off.

5) I went to afraid and made myself a name but that made no difference either way.

6) I know what address w/ port to access the server http://127.0.0.1:600/ .

i dont think im forgetting anything, all of this i learned to do here via forums, im really new to this. I've looked and i dont see anything else that i can do to resolve this. i can access the server myself and other computers on the network, but nothing outside the network can access it. what else can be blocking me? windows xp home SP2 full patches.

Thanks for your time and patience, i'd really like to do this but it's begginning to look grim.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
olly86
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: This has been asked a million times....... Reply with quote

mommasboy wrote:
6) I know what address w/ port to access the server http://127.0.0.1:600/

this is where you've made the mistake. the ip address 127.0.0.1 is a loopback address and will connect to the computer it has been entered in to.

to find out your proper ip address goto http://ipchicken.com or http://www.aprelium.com/ip
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to www.snapfiles.com and look for in the last couple of days in the freeware section as there is a program in there that will give you your true ip address

mawuahahaha :)
mommasboy
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: not sure? Reply with quote

Ok using that address i cant even access the sever via my own address bar. is there somthing i need to add to the address such as port 600 or 9999? can u give me an example of an address in proper form?
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://yourrealip:600

If it still doesn't work, your router doesn't support loopback.
mommasboy
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok my router does not seem to support loopback. that should not make a difference when somone outside the network tries to reach the server correct? Also i went to afraid man game my ip a name. however the ip was just the ip not the :600 do i need to point afraid to the port? not just the ip?
redlion
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mommasboy wrote:
Ok my router does not seem to support loopback. that should not make a difference when somone outside the network tries to reach the server correct? Also i went to afraid man game my ip a name. however the ip was just the ip not the :600 do i need to point afraid to the port? not just the ip?

Yes, the default http port is 80, if you're using anything else you need to point to it e.g. xxx.xxx.xx.xxx:600 .
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Intense
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mommasboy wrote:

All websites use port 80... why use anything else?
wspollack
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: A couple of possibilities: Reply with quote

Some ISPs block port 80 (because they don't want you hosting a site). Another reason is that you might want to use or experiment with two web servers (and so need a port for each). I imagine there are other reasons, and I am not an expert in this area, but those two possibilities come to mind.

Regards,

Bill
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: