cgi timeout

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Norris
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: cgi timeout Reply with quote

Hi,

How canI set this time out to either be off or to be longer then 9999 ? I need it to run forever or at least 24 hours.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Axis
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob--

My understanding is that cgi timeout relates only to a request to run a cgi script and not whether or not your server will be on 24/7. In other words, if you (or someone else) requests a perl (or other) cgi script to process, the cgi timeout is how long the server will process the request before timing out. On some scripts, which take a long time to process, you might need to increase your cgi timeout for the process to complete (I am thinking of AWSTATS on some machines).

Most scripts will process within the defaults set in the Aprelium package.

You do not need to increase this unless you are having troubles getting a cgi script to process. This has nothing to do with having your server running, or having cgi scripts able to process on your webserver, 24/7.

Regards,
Axis
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Bob Norris
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

What I have been doing with another server software was running this script from my browser http://www.norriscomputer.com/botstart/Sam/room_support_2004-09-23.php
It launches a chat bot to my chat server. On the old server this script would run for 24 hours before timing out. I have written a program to restart it (Them there are 15) every 24 hours. With Abyss,, I can only get it to run for 30 seconds,, Any Ideas??
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: cgi timeout Reply with quote

Bob Norris wrote:
Hi,

How canI set this time out to either be off or to be longer then 9999 ? I need it to run forever or at least 24 hours.

Set it to a value bigger than 9999. For example, 31536000 sets the timeout to 1 year (60*60*24*365). You can even enter bigger values.
Bob Norris
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see now,, the box only shows 4 numbers but the rest are hidden. Unfortunately my script still times out after 30 seconds, but only on abyss server. Two others I have tried allow the script to run indefinitely.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Norris wrote:
I see now,, the box only shows 4 numbers but the rest are hidden. Unfortunately my script still times out after 30 seconds, but only on abyss server. Two others I have tried allow the script to run indefinitely.

What is your script? In what language it is written?
romrom
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem here with PHP 5 and a script which can take time...

I've set up the CGI Timeout in the server to 900s.

I can see in my result page that the script has been stopped after 30s : fatal error.....

Well, I've added set_time_limit(900) to the script and it's working....
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romrom,

Setting max_execution_time in php.ini to 900 should also solve the problem for all the scripts.
romrom
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sur ;)

Thanks for the pointer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> FastCGI/CGI All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: