Specifying character encoding for validation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackofnotrades
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Specifying character encoding for validation Reply with quote

Is it possible in the current stable build of X1 to specify character encoding? I'm trying to create valid xhtml content (as verified by the W3C), and I'm getting a warning that no character encoding has been specified. My understanding is that this is usually set within the server, though it can be specified within the document itself.

I couldn't locate a setting for it, and therefore assume it isn't possible yet. Given some other features that are being implimented in beta versions, it seems likely to me that this may also be in beta. Anyone know?

I can always specify the encoding in the document itself, but apparently this is not the preferred method.
#8^)>
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the new beta can support UTF-8 , you need to upgrade to the beta 2 in
order to use this , trust me , I use the betas and their pretty stable , even
though Aprelium says that its not ready for production use , its very stable.
jackofnotrades
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the beta 2 support any other character encodings (i.e. UTF-16, ISO-8859-1)? For validation, I usually need to set it to ISO-8859-1.
#8^)>
aprelium-beta
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Specifying character encoding for validation Reply with quote

jackofnotrades wrote:
Is it possible in the current stable build of X1 to specify character encoding? I'm trying to create valid xhtml content (as verified by the W3C), and I'm getting a warning that no character encoding has been specified. My understanding is that this is usually set within the server, though it can be specified within the document itself.

I couldn't locate a setting for it, and therefore assume it isn't possible yet. Given some other features that are being implimented in beta versions, it seems likely to me that this may also be in beta. Anyone know?

I can always specify the encoding in the document itself, but apparently this is not the preferred method.

If all your HTML files use the same encoding, then change the MIME type (in the MIME Types table) from text/html to text/html; charset=UTF-16 for example.

This can be done on any version of Abyss Web Sever.

The new version 2 support Unicode internally (and on the files it generates such as the listings and the console), but doesn't enforce any encoding on the files you host (so you'll have to alter the MIME types in all the cases.)
jackofnotrades
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I wondered if I could specify something in the MIME type tables.

I'll work with it a bit and decide which I prefer (for now). I'm experimenting with scripts and languages at the moment, so to simplify things I may just keep it in a <meta> tag until I settle on an overall design.

Thank you for the help.
#8^)>
techman21
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will any future versions of aprelium have separate setting for this rather than specifing it within the mime type settings. Like some sort of drop down list that you can choose from?

I found the answer to fixing the problem at W3C, but found the answer to whether or not we could change it within Abyss.

Now I'm wondering whether or not using the meta tag will become deprecated, as the W3C site says " A less preferred method of setting the character encoding is by using the following tag in the HEAD of an HTML document"

I posted her because I thought this pertained directly what was on the this particular thread, but maybe there is a better section?

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: