Web works within LAN but can't see the web from outside ip

View previous topic :: View next topic  
superadward
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Web works within LAN but can't see the web from outside ip Reply with quote

Dear all

It works just as simple as it says on the webpage after I installed the Abyss Web Server. Keyed in ip, port, and etc and wow-la it works. but...story goes on...... I can access my personal website inside my LAN with no problem but no success when I access it from outside my LAN

Story background:
1. Running USROBOTICS router (ADSL Modem -> USR router -> Switch ->LAN) Port 80 is redirected to 192.168.123.100
1.1 Router Admin is at 192.168.123.254
2. Abyss Web Server installed on WinXP SP2 (LAN IP 192.168.123.100)
2.1 I can access to consol by 127.0.0.1:9999
3. All computers on LAN can see the index.html of my webpage by typing 192.168.123.100
4. Server Machine NIC advanced property (the firewall setting comes with WinXP SP2)in WinXP SP2 is now set to allow "HTTP Server" to work
5. I use dynup.net for my personal website and have updated the WAN IP to dynup.net -> I pinged superadward.dynup.net and it redirects to my WAN IP address correctly.
5. My ISP assigns me a dynamic IP but it never changes unless I reboot my router.
6. No idea if my ISP has disabled port 80, if so, what can I do?

So, what is going on with my setting? I have no problem testing what-so-ever functions on my Abyss Web Server but I can not access my website from outside of my LAN (or in this case, outside of my usrobotics router)

Please help... I tried nearly everything. I clean re-installed retail version of WinXP Pro SP2 CD onto my 2 years old IBM P-series Server (It came with Win2K Server Edition and IBM insists they have nothing to do with my problem). I updated everything from Windows Update Center. The only program running on it is Abyss Web Server. God,....what else can I do to help this wonderful webserver to work?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Bob Norris
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5597
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your ISP most likely blocks port 80. Change the Abyss port to something other than 80, and use yourip:port to access your website.

PS: superadward, I received your message, but I don't visit the Aprelium forums much anymore, so I probably won't be following up with you on this. Keep in mind that hundreds of people have had the same exact problems as you, so use the Search function, and you'll find what you're looking for.
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: how to change from port 80 to .......? Reply with quote

Dear Sir Upstairs

Thanks for your responses, I believe my ISP possibly blocks port 80. I will try to look into the consol and change port 80 to something else. Oh... how could one determine if his or her ISP blocks port 80? Also, do I need to do something with my Router to relect the changes I made to the Abyss Web Server?

Also, does anyone who use dynup.net and know a good utility program for Windows OS that will update my WAN IP to dynup.net server automatically?

Thanks for help and really I appreciate your responses to my questions

Adward puzzling in the house.......
superadward
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: my abyss still now working and worse now......... Reply with quote

Dear all,

This is what I have done and what I have found.

I changed my http server port to 2020 and change my router setting to point http requests to port 2020. (my server LAN still remains the same, I updated "superadward.dynup.net" again to make sure they have the same WAN IP address that I have seen from my router.)

I put "http://superadward.dynup.net:2020" into browser address line in another LAN computer and it is not working (no page shown at all) and worst of all, it is now not even working from inside of my LAN; not to mention I still can not access to my http server from outside of my LAN. God..... I am scratching my head and making my hair lousy now.....

I read through some forum articles and do some check all over again according to some useful suggestions from the post. I checked my WAN IP address and I found my WAN IP shown from my router is different from the IP checking page shown from Aprelium. God..... my eyes are wide open now and I am getting older than normally people are... yes, you can see I am getting older sooner than average people.....

Is there some trick to change your port from 80 to some other prot that I am now aware of and forgot to do? Holy my cow in the garden..... I am ready to ki*k my own a*s now,..... >_<"

Please someone out there help me....

ping me, hack me, tracert me, whatever, as long as you tell me how I can set this server up and running. Note: my server is at http://superadward.dynup.net
Router WAN IP is 10.20.2.158 , I forward both port 80 and port 2020 to my HTTP server at LAN IP 192.168.1.100 , my Abyss HTTP server port is set at 80 now.
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: my abyss still now working and worse now......... Reply with quote

superadward wrote:

ping me, hack me, tracert me, whatever, as long as you tell me how I can set this server up and running. Note: my server is at http://superadward.dynup.net
Router WAN IP is 10.20.2.158 , I forward both port 80 and port 2020 to my HTTP server at LAN IP 192.168.1.100 , my Abyss HTTP server port is set at 80 now.

If that is your genuine router WAN IP, you are in trouble.

10.x.x.x is also a private LAN IP address and is not routable on the public internet - there is no way with a 10.20.2.158 anyone outside your network (or possibly on the same subnet with the same ISP) is going to be able to access your site. Double check that is definitely your WAN IP. If it is, you're never going to get it working without contacting your ISP to find out what is going on. It appears they're using some kind of private network behind their own proxies/routers to either protect customers from the outside world or protect the outside world from their customers.

Out of interest, who is your ISP?
superadward
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: my abyss is not working and it is my fault.... Reply with quote

Dear upstair

My ISP is Shanghai Telecom in China. I check again from my router admin page and I am very sure 10.20.*.* is my WAN IP shown from my router admin page.

No wonder Aprelium IP checking page is telling me that my ip might not be mine cause I might behind a proxy server....

Well, if that is the case, what can I do?
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of advice I can offer other than to speak to your ISP, or read through any documents available on their website. If they don't support users running their own servers, you will have to either consider changing ISP, using some free webspace provider, or paying for webhosting elsewhere.
giandre
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same router usrobotics, are you sure the server is setup correctly? i had to change my port to 8000 becuase it didn't work on 80 I don't know why but now is working, check the settings on the router again, could be something really small..
olly86
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the US Robotics routers need their firmware updating before they work properly (ie: fixes Virtual Server)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: