Newbie question, please be patient ;(

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thevanyel
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Newbie question, please be patient ;( Reply with quote

Hello all, I apologize in advance for this demeaning (to me) post, but I need some help and/or advice.
Recently my home was burglarized and my entire LAN was stolen; I was left with absolutely NO electronics at all.
A friend set up and configured my Abyss server for me prior to this and now that I have another system I'm doing it myself; so far, so good....
My question is that I have looked over this entire "CGI Issues" forum and am unclear as to if having a cgi-bin is necessary or not (I guess that would depend upon what one wishes to perform on their site). IF cgi IS necessary, could I get by with just creating the virtual path in the console and dealing with cgi scripts later on if I choose to?
Thanking you all in advance for patience and understanding,
~Van
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
aprelium-beta
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie question, please be patient ;( Reply with quote

thevanyel,

A cgi-bin folder is not required in Abyss. It is a kind of a convention to put your CGI scripts there but there is no real need for that on Abyss.
If you still wish to create one, either create a subdirectory called cgi-bin in htdocs/ or create an alias mapping /cgi-bin to a directory on your hard-drive.

Last edited by aprelium-beta on Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
thevanyel
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie question, please be patient ;( Reply with quote

aprelium-beta wrote:
thevanyel,

A cgi-bin folder is not required in Abyss. It is a kind of a convention to put your CGI scripts there but there is no real need for that on Abyss.
If you still which to create one, either create a subdirectory called cgi-bin in htdocs/ or create an alias mapping /cgi-bin to a directory on your hard-drive.

Beta,
Thank you very much. I had assumed as much, but we all know what happens when one "assumes" lol.... Server is working fine, I have reviewed the documentation as well as each post here, and thank you for making clear a muddled situation.
Regards,
Van
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> FastCGI/CGI All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: