Home Network Trouble

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxxBasher
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Home Network Trouble Reply with quote

Earlier this year I bought a netgear DG834G wireless modem router along with a netgear WG121 wireless adapter for my second computer.

I got the router working and connected to the internet ok and my wireless computer could acsess the internet perfectly. My first computer is plugged into a port on the back of the router.

I set both computers up using the windows xp home and office network connection wizard using the "my computer connects through another computer or residential gateway" option on both computers.

The problem is that I can not share my files and a printer with my second computer on the wireless. I have tried changing computer names, work groups and everyhting else that the wizard configures but I still cant share files and printer with these two computers.

Any help would be great as I am new to wireless and wondered if am using the correct settings.

Thanks,
Dan
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
MaxxBasher
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made a little bit of progress now and when I go to "view workgroup computers" I can see both computer names.

It turned out that it was a firewall on my main computer was blocking network traffic and I now have disabled it all together.

From my main computer I can double click on the other computer name and see all of the resourses and shared folders available, which is what I wanted to do in the first place.

However when I go to my second computer and when I try to double click on the computer name I get an error message which says "\\computername is not acsessible. You might not have permission to use this network resourse. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have acsess permission."

On my main computer I have been through all of the locla security policy and I can not find anything relvant to workgroup networking only through a domain.

If anyone can think of anything that can help me share these folders and printers please post here or E-Mail me at dangunn1@hotmail.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Beamin1
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you need to set some shares on your main PC. in network neighborhood, if you try to access a dorectory thats not shared thats the error that you get......would be able to help you more if I knew what OS's you were running .....Beamin1
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
MaxxBasher
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both computers are running XP Pro and I have made sure that I set the folders sharing properties.
Beamin1
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are both the pc's networked onto the same workgroup?

I run 4 XP pro machines here and they are all on the same workgroup, to access files(that arent in mapped drives) use windows explorer>my networkplaces>entire network>microsoft windows network>workgroupname>computername

and see if you still get the same error....

Also you can try mapping the drive you want to access by rightclicking on my computer and selecting map network drive, then add the network path and see if it will allow you to do that.... if it wont then you need to re run windows networking wizard on the PC you cant access and make sure you join the workgfroup and allow users to access your files.....
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
WolfRamiO
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got same problem here!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MaxxBasher
-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made sure that both computers are on the same workgroup and I have done as you have said by going into windows explorer>my networkplaces>entire network>microsoft windows network>workgroupname>computername and I click on the computer name and it just does the same thing.

I am going to try mapping the drive as you have said and I will see if it works.

Thanks very much for your replys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: