Network setup. please help!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djx
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Network setup. please help!! Reply with quote

Hey!

I ahve 3 comps next to each otha and i need to network them with wired adn have at least 1 spare ethernet port for my accew point (wireless) for my lappy

Theyall need to be on the ent and connect vier ehternet.

I basically need the absulute cheapist solution possible incluidng a modem for my wannadoo adsl line to get all these comps on a netwrk with the net
Please help lol

DArren
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I could make out of your English, it sounds like you have 1 free port on your router, and 3 computers that need to be networked. You can buy 2 more ethernet cards ($5 each), and daisy-chain your network down. However, if a computer is connecting to another computer in that situation, the master computer must be on.

The other solution is, you can just buy a 3-port hub, and plug it into the remaining port on your router.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: no Reply with quote

Hehe soz bout my awfull language i was in a rush

I havent got any of the hardware not even a router!

Thats what i need to get i think.

Ill explain again.

I have 3 computers which need to be networked so i can acces the internet on all of them at the same time and file sharing.

Each computer has an ethernet card and thats all the hardware i have except my freeserve usb modem wich im sure will be no good.

I need to get the absulute cheapest solution possible to do this with wires.
I dont mind if the modem and router are seperate or 1 unit which evers cheapest.

I use ebuyer alot and if there the cheapest i would like to get it from there

Hope this helps

Darren
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I understand that a lot better.

You can get a network switch for just $15 here that will most likely solve your problem (although I don't know about file sharing). This is probably the cheapest solution, however I don't know if it is the best (a router would be a better solution, but a little more expensive).

Then again, there is this $20 recertified router that would most likely be a better buy if you are willing to pay $5 extra.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: ADSL! Reply with quote

IM on ADSL not dsl!

I need to have the adsl line into the router so i can have it on any computer at any time!

Darren
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ADSL! Reply with quote

djx wrote:
IM on ADSL not dsl!

ADSL is DSL. It is a certain type, although I have no idea what this has to do with anything.

The DSL line is currently going into your modem. Instead of plugging your modem into your computer, you will plug your modem into your router, which will then go into your computer.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: aahh lol Reply with quote

My curernt modem is usb!

so no routers wil take it which is y i posted here to try and get the cheapest solution for all the hardware

Darren
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a router called the Speedstream 5830 that you can get (both a modem and a router), but I think you would be better off getting an ethernet modem from your ISP (or buying one) and buying a router.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=dsl+modem&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=ff

Last edited by iNaNimAtE on Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
djx
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: price?? Reply with quote

How much would a modem and router cost if i got the cheapest ones avalible??

Darren
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one for $16:
http://shop.vendio.com/gibou/item/682357460/index.html?s=1087898821
And the router was $20, so $36 (without tax and shipping).
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you mention Freeserve I get the impression you are in the UK. If so, this is an absolute steal :

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=627009249&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48449

"Ebuyer 4 Port ADSL Modem Router"

It's a combo modem and router, meaning you can stick your USB modem in a cupboard and ignore it, this has the 3 ethernet points you need for the machines + 1 spare for the access point. It also has 1 USB connector should you want to use another laptop/machine at the same time as the 4 ethernet ports. Nice simple web interface, easy to setup in minutes - can't recommend it enough. Picked mine up last summer and haven't had a single problem with it, using it on a normal ADSL connection in the UK.

It's well over half the price of some alternatives which provide exactly the same features :D
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
djx
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks mate ill go ahead and buy that and yeah im in teh uk and i use ebuyer alot.

Darren
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: ?? Reply with quote

OH and can i just confirm that this router has a standdard phone connector on the internet connection so i cna just plug it stright into my ADSL splliter without the need for an extra modem?

Darren
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly does - as I said before, it's a combination modem and router - it'll dial and handle the firewalling, sharing etc. Good choice ;)
djx
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

DOes it have all the port fording as well cos i run abyess web server adn like aother servres on differnets ports on one of my computers

Darren
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Works perfectly. It's actually an Origo 8400 - you can read the manual here :

http://www.wellgroups.com/wellftp/manual/asr-8000.pdf
djx
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

KL thanks

Although now ive found one on ebay wich s very cheap at the min ill see wat it goes up 2 but if it ges up 2 much ill get the one on ebuyer for definiate

lol

Thanks Again

Darren
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: