web server CGI settings not working

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryan1810
-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: web server CGI settings not working Reply with quote

Hi

I'm having difficulty getting the Abyss web server X1 to recognize my Perl interpreter (or see my cgi-bin directory or similar problem). I used to use Xitami web server but had caching problems so I moved to Abyss, and also because Abyss get good reviews at www.download.com. The admin interface is VERY user-friendly but I cannot get any of my CGI Perl scripts to run. They are ignored. They are however recognized by my Xitami web server so I'm sure I'm just missing a setting in the Abyss installation. What am I missing though? :o)

I have the following settings:
Server Configuration:
Documents path: C:\wine2u\
Server Configuration > Advanced > CGI parameters:
CGI processing enabled: yes
Resolve interpreter using script's #! line
CGI interpreter: c:/perl/bin/perl.exe (or c:\perl\bin\perl.exe - not sure if it makes a difference)
Associated extensions: pl cgi
CGI Paths:
/cgi-bin/ (my actual cgi-bin is in c:\wine2u\cgi-bin\ so this /cgi-bin/ should pick that up... but doesn't..?)
/ (I did the CGI paths according to the Abyss documentation - not sure why a separate "/" must be entered, I thought /cgi-bin/ would be enough)

I also added index.pl at Server Configuration > Advanced > Server Paramaters, as instructed by your documentation but I'm not sure why index.pl is necessary since I don't use such a filename anywhere.

[I use Windows98 with IE6 and access my site through the localhost/127.0.01 that then loads c:\wine2u\]

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards
Bryan
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
gompie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you get a good answer, cause I'm having exactly the same problem !!
gompie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found it

:D
In the Aliases you have to set the "Real Path" to "c:/wine2u/cgi-bin" and then it should work. If you leave the alias to standard setting then your cgi-bin is in C:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server\cgi-bin (or wherever you installed the program).

Seems this is not in the docs.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gompie wrote:
Just found it

:D
In the Aliases you have to set the "Real Path" to "c:/wine2u/cgi-bin" and then it should work. If you leave the alias to standard setting then your cgi-bin is in C:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server\cgi-bin (or wherever you installed the program).

Seems this is not in the docs.

The docs explain the difference between absolute and relative paths. A relative path is converted to an absolute one using that rule:
Absolute path=Server Root+Relative path

So when you use the /cgi-bin is aliased to cgi-bin and if your Server Root is "c:\program files\abyss web server", the cgi-bin path corresponds to "c:\program files\abyss web server\cgi-bin".
That's why changing the aliases using an absolute path is a solution. You could also change the Server root.
(And this is in the documentation, the differenc ebetween absolute and relative paths is described there.)
By the way, / and \ make no difference in file names.
Bryan1810
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gompie/Aprelium
I added the cgi-bin real path to the alias and now it works.

Bryan
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> FastCGI/CGI All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: