How do you get an exe to run on a web site?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: How do you get an exe to run on a web site? Reply with quote

I know i am stupid, but how do you get an exe to run on a web site?

I know it has to do with cgi, and i think it can be done, but how can I get users to click a link and run an exe without that anoying download dialog box that pops up.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: How do you get an exe to run on a web site? Reply with quote

louis,

We don't understand exactly what you mean.

Do you have a CGI executable and want to run it on the server computer to generate dynamic pages?

Or

do you want to have the browser automatically execute on the client computer the downloaded executables without displaying the dialog?
louis
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: How do you get an exe to run on a web site? Reply with quote

The second one you said. I want to have it execute the program on the clients machine.

Thank you for your time.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: How do you get an exe to run on a web site? Reply with quote

louis,

As far as we know, there is no simple way to avoid this dialog since it is client dependant. All depends on the client browser settings and there is no way to change this remotely from the server (because this can be a major security risk, imagine that you can go to a page that refers to an executable, the browser downloads it silently and executes it without asking... this could be fine but imagine if the .exe contains a virus or simply erases your files!!!)
louis
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: re: running an exe Reply with quote

Well, you say there is no simple way to do it, but is there an advanced way to do it?
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: re: running an exe Reply with quote

louis wrote:
Well, you say there is no simple way to do it, but is there an advanced way to do it?

Well, you must seek for more information on hacking sites to know how to circumvent IE protections and how to use flaws in some of its versions to do what you want :D
But this will only work with IE and with not other browsers.
sduv30
-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject: they might not have understood you Reply with quote

there might be a question to what your wanting to do that was not asked, are you triing to get a person who views your site to be able to start a program by clicking a link on your site, and if so you can right scripts for this, also if you do this if you use microsoft word for your html editor you can set objects in your html page to bind to preset scripts, I would recommend checking out some html forums!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> FastCGI/CGI All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: