How to install Abyss, mysql, and php on mandrake 9.1 ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmstacey2000
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: How to install Abyss, mysql, and php on mandrake 9.1 ? Reply with quote

I gave Mandrake 9.1 a try and really like it because it doesn't crash on my 133mhz 34megs of ram computer set up as my server :oops:
But anyway I need help installing the Abyss web server, mysql, and php.

I got got Abyss installed and running so my only problem with it is how do I get it to start automatically if I ever do have to restart the computer?

I got mysql working partially, but it was all messed up so I deleted it and want to try it again, the right way (I downloaded the rpm from their website)

Php is another story, I uncompressed it, but theres not php.exe like in the windows installation so..
Thanks for the help :D
-Jon-
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install Abyss, mysql, and php on mandrake 9.1 ? Reply with quote

PHP for Linux is distributed as source code. So you must compile it and install it. Usually, there is a README file or an INSTALL file that tells what to do.
For the full steps about how to autosart Abyss under Linux, please contact us by email (support@aprelium.com)
Gatewayy
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I have been wondering how the heck you do that. :)

My Abyss site!

http://crashhappy.gatewayy.net
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jmstacey2000
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't really help. I know about the readme files and Install files that have instructions, but its all about how to installe with apache2 or zeus. How do I do it for Abyss?
For abyss you have to have it installed on for the user that will be logged in, do I do the same for php and mysql or do I install them in root?

And I haven't really gotten this thing. When I download a tar.gz file and uncompress it whatever through the console, is that basically installing it, then I just need to go in and configure it properly?

-Jon-
Gatewayy
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually you do
tar xzf <filename>
cd <directory where you installed it>
./configure
make
make install

its usually all in the instructions, once you have php and mysql running you can use any of the guides on this forum. just change things from c:/abyss to say /home/your_user_name/abyss or whatever your dealing with. i have php, perl, mysql, awstats, etc all running happily with abyss. i just used the tutorials and instructions on this website :) if you do have any problems this board and the support staff can probably help you out :)

My Abyss site!

jmstacey2000
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a piece of cake on windows.. Of course this is only the 3rd day I've ever used any distro of linux.... :lol:

-Jon-
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmstacey2000 wrote:
It was a piece of cake on windows.. Of course this is only the 3rd day I've ever used any distro of linux.... :lol:

-Jon-

Please post your progress. Someone may have the same problem as yours. I want to know myself too.
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. I've just been a little busy lately.

-Jon-
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmstacey2000 wrote:
Will do. I've just been a little busy lately.

-Jon-

Busy, no problem. ThankInAdvance.
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Heres what I've got on installing mysql on Mandrake 9.1
You login as root and use these commands:

urpmi mysql
/etc/rc.d/init/d/mysql restart
mysqladmin -u root password 'whatever'

First line installs the server (you'll need cd 1 and 2)
Secon, starts the service
The third line sets the admin password for database as whatever.

So it installed sucesfully and I can restart it but thats it. It won't let me login or anything. Its like the commands changed for linux from windows (but they haven't) :?

More later...

-Jon-

Last edited by jmstacey2000 on Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
goose
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be nice if linux had a simple automatic install like windows.

things would be much simpler ...and everyone would jump to linux.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
jmstacey2000
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. And it had the hardware and software support windows has too.... But this my be possible with windows moving to that db stuff or whatever :evil:

-Jon-
jmstacey2000
-

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yipee!! I got mysql working properly. Just do what I said in the 3rd post up :D
That'll teach me never to work on these kind of things at 5 in the moring without having slept. I did everything right except set the root password correctly, I copied it from the website wrong (I fixed it in my post to)

Once you've got it installed and you set the root password you can login to root with this

mysql -u root -pwhatever
(or change that whatever to the password you chose :wink: )

So now its just php.....

-Jon-
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmstacey2000 wrote:
Yipee!! I got mysql working properly. Just do what I said in the 3rd post up :D
That'll teach me never to work on these kind of things at 5 in the moring without having slept. I did everything right except set the root password correctly, I copied it from the website wrong (I fixed it in my post to)

Once you've got it installed and you set the root password you can login to root with this

mysql -u root -pwhatever
(or change that whatever to the password you chose :wink: )

So now its just php.....

-Jon-

Thank for that info... Keep up the good work.
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Everything comes to a halt again. But fist
Please be advised Aprelium that in your instructions you say to do a 'which php' command to tell you where php is like mysql, and if it doesn't find one you need to download it and install it. php.net does not have Linux/Unix distributions anymore (it says on that download page) they say because mose distros' of linux already have it.

No, since mandrake 9.1 supposedly has it I went to install packages and looked for php, no php packages, so I look manually and there is a php-cgi package (a standalone) so I installed that since thats the closest to what I need, but haven't been able to test it because of apache getting in the way and it automatcially set its self up :evil:
All this is on my home computer to (no internet) so I went and tried it on the computer I'm going to use as my server but I can login as root!! When I logout instead of bringing me to a login prompt it get stuck in the continuous never ending loop :evil: And I've done 10 installs on it with different configurations no luck. So I'm trying now to not have XFree start on bootup (how do you start it from the command line :oops: ?) In Red Hat 8.0 its just startx is it the same in Mandrake I can't find anyplace where it says (I could be going blind though)

More tommorow (if theres any progress...)

-Jon-
CapFusion
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Please be advised Aprelium that in your instructions you say to do a 'which php' command to tell you where php is like mysql, and if it doesn't find one you need to download it and install it. php.net does not have Linux/Unix distributions anymore (it says on that download page) they say because mose distros' of linux already have it.

No, since mandrake 9.1 supposedly has it I went to install packages and looked for php, no php packages, so I look manually and there is a php-cgi package (a standalone) so I installed that since thats the closest to what I need, but haven't been able to test it because of apache getting in the way and it automatcially set its self up
All this is on my home computer to (no internet) so I went and tried it on the computer I'm going to use as my server but I can login as root!! When I logout instead of bringing me to a login prompt it get stuck in the continuous never ending loop And I've done 10 installs on it with different configurations no luck. So I'm trying now to not have XFree start on bootup (how do you start it from the command line ?) In Red Hat 8.0 its just startx is it the same in Mandrake I can't find anyplace where it says (I could be going blind though)

More tommorow (if theres any progress...)

Man, that really suck, BIG :evil:
-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmstacey2000 wrote:
Thanks.
. php.net does not have Linux/Unix distributions anymore (it says on that download page) they say because mose distros' of linux already have it.

-Jon-

what is this then? :P

http://us4.php.net/get/php-4.3.2.tar.gz/from/a/mirror

My Abyss site!

jmstacey2000
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
True, but they're only the sources, and I don't really want to compile it myself 8O (without instructions every half step of the way...)

-Jon-
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmstacey2000 wrote:
:lol:
True, but they're only the sources, and I don't really want to compile it myself 8O (without instructions every half step of the way...)

-Jon-

The instructions are in the README file. To summarize, login as root then execute the following commands (one by one):

Code:

tar xvfz php-4.3.2.tar.gz
cd php-4.3.2
./configure
make
make install

We assume that you have php-4.3.2.tar.gz in your current directory when you do this.
Gatewayy
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

compiling your own source is alsways the best way to do anything in linux! :P

My Abyss site!

jmstacey2000
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know, I have two computers, my home computer 2.8ghz p4..(basically top of the line (built it myself)) and the computer I'm trying to set up a server with 133mhz 34megs of ram and case from the dark ages (now called "the other one" :P

Everything works fine on my computer except the make and make install
when I type make it gives a error and in the instructions for setting it up with apache you need stuff like --with-apche or something to that extent.

The problem with the other computer is a matter unto itself, when I restart it gets stuck in this continual loop and only way to get out is the power button. and it doesn't install all the stuff like my computer, I can choose the exact same things doing them along side and the other computer will be missing lots of things and won't let me install them (it just won't do it)
and I've reinstalled almost 3 dozen times so far on the other computer, I'm out of ideas as to what the problem is (other than the hardware...)
So I'm installing win98 on it for now to see if I can get that working, and then when I finish downloading debian I'll give that a go maybe (people say its lighter on the system than mandrake is so maybe that will help...)

-Jon-
Gatewayy
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it is your computer that is not working correctly not Abyss.

My Abyss site!

jmstacey2000
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, abyss is not the problem, basically I can't even get to a place where it can become a problem :roll:
I don't know why this thing won't work :? but does on mine so... debian (the last glimmer of light...)

-Jon-
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok im going to get to the very bottom of this , why do most people choose linux over windows when dealing with web servers , don't you think learning linux is a little advanced and don't you think that just setting up a regular windows computer with Abyss Web Server is alot easier than executing a bunch of commands , heck , all you need for windows is a click of a mouse to install this web server but for linux thats another story

SO WHY DO PEOPLE TURN TO LINUX WHEN IT COMES TO WEB SERVERS

IS IT A SECURITY ISSUE OR WHAT ! :?:
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stability. Linix and unix are much, much more stable than windows.
A lot of the problems can be solved with a computer that works, because I can get everything working on my home computer in less than 45 minutes (from clean install to setting up a server with mysql and php...) this other thing that I'm trying to get well.... I'm hopint that win98 won't make it crash :roll:

-Jon-
os17fan
-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Windows XP is much more stable than any other windows PC's so I don't think that's the case but you are right on one thing , MSN and all those huge sites are probably using linux for their web sites and that is a good program but what im trying to say is , Windows never crashed my server once although I think I did here something that linux doesn't take much system resources so thats a good thing , other than that they are both perfect operating system's for the Abyss Web Server 8)
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, nice break I took 8O
got my hands on a 333mhz computer with 4x the ram, so I'm going to give it a try on that, but I went back to my computer so I could write everything that I had to do down so minimum down time for the server. But now port 80 is always being used! (mandrake 9.1) I didn't install apache so how can I figure out what it is so I can use it with abyss?

Any anyone know a good ftp program and a mail program that will just rely messages from my forums for Mandrake?

-Jon-
goose
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are heaps just search for them :)

or use what mandrake has as its packages.

mawuahahaha :)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmstacey2000 wrote:
Ok, nice break I took 8O
got my hands on a 333mhz computer with 4x the ram, so I'm going to give it a try on that, but I went back to my computer so I could write everything that I had to do down so minimum down time for the server. But now port 80 is always being used! (mandrake 9.1) I didn't install apache so how can I figure out what it is so I can use it with abyss?

Any anyone know a good ftp program and a mail program that will just rely messages from my forums for Mandrake?

-Jon-

Port 80 is said to be used or unavailable if you are logged as a regular user (not root). Only root can use ports < 1024.
jmstacey2000
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Port 80 is said to be used or unavailable if you are logged as a regular user (not root). Only root can use ports < 1024.

Yep, found that out earlier searching the forums but forgot to mention it. So I solved that problem installing it as root and then having it switch to the user that will automatically login in the Server paramaters page.
At least I think it will work, I haven't actually tried it yet
I'm out hunting for a simple ftp program for linux. So far I've found extremely complicated ones that you have to configure with command line for everything :?

-Jon-
jmstacey2000
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yep, found that out earlier searching the forums but forgot to mention it. So I solved that problem installing it as root and then having it switch to the user that will automatically login in the Server paramaters page.
At least I think it will work, I haven't actually tried it yet
I'm out hunting for a simple ftp program for linux. So far I've found extremely complicated ones that you have to configure with command line for everything :?
And I can't seem to get the included ftp server installed that came with the mandrake packages without installing apache, which I don't want to do...
So I'm still out looking for a graphical interface so I don't have to do aything with command lines or chroot

-Jon-
jmstacey2000
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, aside from the ftp. Please don't make me use apache for this! I'm begging you!

Ok, so I got my root user and my "active" user (thats the username ;-) )
So I log into 'active' and install Abyss. I then login as root and set it up to autostart, and then restart the computer. And it automatically logs is as 'active' so I open mozilla and go to the abyss console, setting username and password. Then change port from 8000 to 80 and then user setting in paramaters to 'active' and restart. But I can't access it! says 500 internal server error, if I change the user back to default 'nobody' then it gives me a 403 error
So what do I do here?

Thanks, and please don't make me use apache

-Jon-
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmstacey2000,

Your problem is with file permissions. Files on UNIX have flags to tell the system what operations are allowed to be done with them (read/write/execute) and by whom.
So you got error 500 because your files have the executable flag set. To remove it, use the command:

Code:
chmod -x file

The error 403 occurs because the user running Abyss Web Server hasn't the right to access a given file. Typically, this happens when you try to access a file that is owned by another user. In your case, you should open the console, go to Server Configuration > Advanced > Server Parameters and set the System user to 'active' (your Linux login). In fact, for security reasons, Abyss Web Server perform some initialization under the root privileges and switches to a less privileged user (the one which name is in System User). By default system user is nobody and nobody has no right to access other users files.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: