become an isp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjs1950
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: become an isp Reply with quote

what are the advantages/disadvantages of picking a package through a company to become your own ISP vs. leasing a server or colocating when you want to host websites
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, ISP? ISP and hosting are two different things. Do you mean the advantages/disadvantages of hosting through a company versus hosting yourself?

If you do, this has been discussed before. Just search.
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what??????????? wtf are you talking about you can't be a ISP theres no way to be an ISP but maybe you can work in a ISP like comcast if they accept people
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masa, anyone can be an ISP if they have the time and money to invest.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
nitestalker49
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set it up on my win98se one time where my family could dial into my dailup modem and access my cable internet thru my pc.....

it worked.... guess you could of called me a ISP hehehehehe

http://home.woh.rr.com/nitestalker/
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is a program called CCProxy that allows you to host dial-up accounts through your LAN connection. No one would ever know the difference...
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: yea Reply with quote

yea masa, any 1 could become an ISP. You just need the software, and teh right hardware.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey nitestalker49, I notice you're online. What program did you use to allow people to dial-up through your modem?
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but, it would have to be very private, unless you have a very big network and connection, lets take a look

You will be sharing a IP (unless you purchase more ip's... or if they come free. Depending)

and, 33.6 k is average connection you want people on dialup to gain, so, a Modem, lets say, very good upstream, 1mb will have approx around 15-19 connections at one time .. unless you have like 100mbs , or 10mbs t2. t3, or OC-3, OC-29, and so on.

and security will bring you a problems...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, this is just so I can get internet when I'm away from home without dealing with some ad-laden free ISP.
-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to tell the truth i dont remember all the steps............ i did a search on google and found a tutorial how to do it............ i did it all on win98se as well..... it was a few years ago when i did it.......... i do remember that it was all win98se software though.........no other software was needed.........

http://home.woh.rr.com/nitestalker/
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bro_co03
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a site I found through Google. I took a look at and and I think it's pretty good.

http://www.alliancedatacom.com/isp/index.asp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masa wrote:
what??????????? wtf are you talking about you can't be a ISP theres no way to be an ISP but maybe you can work in a ISP like comcast if they accept people

I have all the services and functionality of an ISP. What I dont have is bandwidth.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: