Hacked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blast1102
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Hacked Reply with quote

I have a PC running Norton and Zone alarm, its behind a Linksys firewall and I think its still compromised.

It is mass mailing but not from my address book like a virus, but on a grand scale, going thru all possible combinations using letters numbers and characters.

It only shows up when it sends to non existent email addresses.

I think that it has been hacked and is being used for mass mailing and not that it has a virus.

Anyone have any ideas on how to stop it.

I have run anti virus software and anti ad ware software, nothing. The only thing I can do at the moment is shut down the pop3 server, but then I can not tell if it is still happening.
-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations, you've succeeded in setting up a spam really :D

if your smtp server is accessible from the internet without password protection, anyone can connect, and send emails through your server. to prevent this you must either set it to only accept connections from "localhost", OR password protect your smtp server.

many ISP's will disconnect you, if they detect this type of activity.
-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SMPT server is open to the internet, but is password protected. I can not say how good the passwords are as its not my setup!

For now its unpluged.

Thankyou for your comment's.

Tom
-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hacked Reply with quote

blast1102 wrote:
I have a PC running Norton and Zone alarm, its behind a Linksys firewall and I think its still compromised.

It is mass mailing but not from my address book like a virus, but on a grand scale, going thru all possible combinations using letters numbers and characters.

It only shows up when it sends to non existent email addresses.

I think that it has been hacked and is being used for mass mailing and not that it has a virus.

Anyone have any ideas on how to stop it.

I have run anti virus software and anti ad ware software, nothing. The only thing I can do at the moment is shut down the pop3 server, but then I can not tell if it is still happening.

DOUBLE 1st of all, congrats on being stoopid enough to run 2 software firewalls on the same machine and using Norton. Kill norton, it will do you no favours. Zonealarm, +++. I am an EX-hacked NORTON user myself, I was only hacked because of that piece of sh1t program. But anyway...

Is your operating system Win9x, 2k, XP ??? and what is your disk formatted to??? FAT or NTFS?

If your drive is FAT, you can boot up to DOS and run AVG6.0 (Anti-virus software from www.grisoft.com) this is before the Operating system boots up, as long as system restore is turned off, your AVG will clear the problem and it wont be restored as soon as you boot again.

If your drive is NTFS, you will have to run you machine in safe mode, and run AVG from the safe mode window.

Grab some other tools like SpywareBlaster, ADaware which may help you.

your OK using Zonealarm + Router but your not OK running Norton + Zonalarm, so DONT DOUBLE FIREWALL. Conturary to popular belief that it makes your machine more hack proof, your actually giving them a hand...
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: