System upgrade brings PHP (7.x --> 8.1.2) problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beerslayer
-

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 6:04 pm    Post subject: System upgrade brings PHP (7.x --> 8.1.2) problem Reply with quote

Hi, all -

I have a laptop running Linux Mint 21.3. I have just upgraded it from Mint 20.3. This system upgrade seems to have had ramifications for Abyss, which was also running on this system.

First of all, the upgrade installed Apache2 without asking, which immediately took over as the primary web server. I was able to uninstall it with no problem, but now Abyss isn't starting with the computer. But this isn't the real issue. I can start it manually, and can probably figure this out without help.

The real problem is that the system upgrade also appears to have upgraded PHP. I do not recall exactly which version I had before, but I'm pretty sure it was 7.x. All of my PHP scripts were working just fine under Abyss prior to the upgrade. Now, following the upgrade, PHP has been upgraded to 8.1.2, and PHP scripts are all failing with 500 errors. Plain HTML, Perl, and Python scripts still work fine. It appears to be only PHP that is affected.

Is there a likely, simple, stupid fix to get my PHP scripts working again under 8.1.2? A parameter change somewhere, perhaps? Or is this problem likely to be more pervasive?
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: System upgrade brings PHP (7.x --> 8.1.2) problem Reply with quote

beerslayer,

The first issue with automatic startup should be resolved by running the
Code:
autostart-setup
script (located in the directory where Abyss Web Server
Code:
abyssws
launcher is.)

The second question is not related to Abyss Web Server. It is more about the compatibility of your scripts with PHP 8. Nobody can know without checking each of these scripts and asking their authors.

Usually, the best way is to test them. If there are issues, they'll be reported by visible errors or warnings.
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
beerslayer
-

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: System upgrade brings PHP (7.x --> 8.1.2) probl [Solv Reply with quote

admin wrote:
The first issue with automatic startup should be resolved by running the
Code:
autostart-setup
script (located in the directory where Abyss Web Server launcher is.)
This worked great. Thanks!
admin wrote:
[The second question] is more about the compatibility of your scripts with PHP 8. Nobody can know without checking each of these scripts and asking their authors.
This did not turn out to be the case. See below.
admin wrote:
Usually, the best way is to test them. If there are issues, they'll be reported by visible errors or warnings.
I tried this. The scripts all worked perfectly from the command line. So I dug a little deeper.
It turns out that when Mint 21.3 updated PHP on my system, it failed to install the executable "php-cgi". As soon as I installed "php-cgi" manually, scripts started working perfectly again.
I'm left wondering why the hell "php-cgi" wasn't installed by the upgrader, since obviously it was there before and the new version is compatible with the new OS. But none of this has anything to do with Abyss. Still, maybe it helps somebody...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> PHP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: