Abyss Upgrade Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimi_l
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Abyss Upgrade Help Reply with quote

Hi All,

Let me say first that I DID indeed search for any info about this and found every tutorial under the sun...except for this topic. Perhaps it's a "non starter" so it's never been covered but I wanted to be sure.

I have Abyss v2.0.6 running just fine for a long time now. I was thinking about upgrading when I saw the new release but I am hesitant. I have SO many things running that depend on the current config that if an upgrade hosed me somehow (like killing PHP or PERL or CGI or MySql or whatever) I would really be the Mayor of Screwed City. I set this all up so long ago that I do not even remember how I got lucky enough to get everything to work.

So the question is posed, is the upgrade worth it or am I really probably OK as I am seeing how everything works and all?

Thanks,

Jim
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be fine how you are, but you can upgrade to get bug fixes and new features (i forget what they are).

To be sure before you upgrade, backup your abyss folder so you have a backup of your conf file. Then upgrade. If it doesnt work you can simply write the backup back and continue as normal.
Jimi_l
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to the upgrade itself. Is the correct procedure to simply download and install? Will the installer recognize my existing install and perform the upgrade on it's own?

Thanks,

Jim
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimi_l wrote:
As to the upgrade itself. Is the correct procedure to simply download and install? Will the installer recognize my existing install and perform the upgrade on it's own?

Thanks,

Jim

Yes it will recognise it. But remember to back up the folder first incase it accidently wipes the conf file during the upgrade. It shouldnt, but it has been known to on very rare occasions.
Jimi_l
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool,

Thanks for the help.

Jim
ccs
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I dropped back to the previous release (don't remember what the exact version# is at the moment). I had to do this because the conf file keept getting clobbered on me.

I haven't seen anyone else complain about this, so its very likely that it is unique to my server, but I haven't had a single problem since I dropped back so I'm staying here for now. Upon the next release, I can assure you it will not go on to a production server for several months. Like you, I can't afford issues with my web server.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: