Windows remote access?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Windows remote access? Reply with quote

My parents are constently breaking the upstairs PC (by constently i mena 2-3 times an hour, stupid things but they always call ME when there is a small error -.-) Iv heard of using Windows XP Remote Desktop to control PC's on your LAN but i can seem to get it working :/ (iv never used it so i dont know how to set it up) So i was wondering if anyone here knows how i can configure and setup this function.

Both PC's are running Windows XP SP2 with ALL latest updates
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all you need to find out what port the windows rdc protocol uses. I have no idea since I forward all ports and have no firewall. Once you know, allow it in the firewall on the PC's.

Now go to the RDC program and type in either the computer name eg, "Parents PC" or the IP eg, "192.168.1.105" and then hit connect. You can then sign in on the login screen with any passworded account. Administrator account is also available to use too.

Failing that, VNC will work too but the windows rdc is probably all you need.
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks ill find what port its on and get back to you

EDIT:
"To enable your computer to accept remote connections, check Help for your operating platform." Ok so this means refer to the manual?

EDIT: OK i opened the REGEDIT system and found the port to be 3389, ill set the firewall to allow local connections so only people on the LAN can work it :D

Last edited by hc2995 on Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hc2995 wrote:

EDIT:
"To enable your computer to accept remote connections, check Help for your operating platform." Ok so this means refer to the manual?

Im guessing so.
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbyssUnderground wrote:
hc2995 wrote:

EDIT:

Im guessing so.

thanks andy :D
-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Remote Desktop connection software installed and it works awesome. i do not use the one built in on windows. The Software i use is UltraVNC. you can check it out at http://www.uvnc.com/. it has the download file and the installation guide files to help you out. i would not suggest the http client .... it doesn't load the screen as fast. anyways good luck
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: