Error 500 error

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurzo
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Error 500 error Reply with quote

I am trying to get a .cgi file to run.

I bought search engine software (Zoom) that compiles everything into a .cgi file.

The search.cgi file that is generated by Zoom is a binary, compiled executable. This means the server needs to be configured to run a CGI executable.

I have followed the install instructions to get perl and cgi working, but this .cgi file generates the above server error.

What do I need to check to make sure I have the correct settings?

the advanced error log produced this:
127.0.0.1 - - [30/Oct/2005:21:55:00 -0600] "GET /search.cgi HTTP/1.1" 500 246 "" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"

The scripting error log produced this:
Unrecognized character \x90 at search.cgi line 1.
CGI: [C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe search.cgi ] URI: /search/search.cgi Broken pipe

thanks

Last edited by kurzo on Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
MonkeyNation
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not played with CGIs all that much, but from what I know, a 500, with no reason is showing something wrong with the cgi.
It may be a configuration issue, but to check it actually does work, you could try running it from the command line to see if it outputs anything. (It'll be errors if anything, but just to see if it works.)

I'm sure there are people here who could better assist you, I'd await their responces.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - how do i run it from the command line? I'd like to give that a try ...
MonkeyNation
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurzo wrote:
Thanks - how do i run it from the command line? I'd like to give that a try ...

Well, because of the nature of what you're doing, it won't work properly at all cause the location to search in probably won't get passed over, etc.
Under windows run start -> cmd -> "C:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server\CGIs\mycgi.exe" (With ""s, and change the path, obviously.), I would assume. As I say, I've never really used CGIs apart from perl and php.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Error 500 error Reply with quote

kurzo wrote:
The search.cgi file that is generated by Zoom is a binary, compiled executable. This means the server needs to be configured to run a CGI executable.

The CGI file produced is an executable file and not a Perl file. So you associating .cgi with Perl is source of the problem here.
All you have to do is to remove Perl declaration from Abyss Web Server (or at least remove .cgi as an associated extension with Perl). Next, press Add... in Script Paths table (in Console > Hosts > Configure > Scripting Paramaters).
Press Browse in the displayed dialog and locate Win32_search.cgi (or whatever name you've given to your CGI search executable). Seclect it, and press OK twice and press Restart.
The operation done above simply "informs" Abyss Web Server that Win32_search.cgi is an executable, so the server will execute it as a CGI application instead of offering it for download as a normal file.
kurzo
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS!

I figured it was something with associating the perl.exe to it.

Adding it in the scripting parameters did the trick!

Abyss is the only web server I use for testing - it is such an awesome piece of software :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> FastCGI/CGI All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: