SSI not executing a CGI script

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeWest
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: SSI not executing a CGI script Reply with quote

Hi, I create CGI Scripts as borland C++ console applications and have no problem executing them as cgi scripts. I created a script counter.exe and wanted to call it from an SSI.

If I use:

<!-- #include virtual="/cgi_bin/counter.exe" --> I get a binary dump of the file inserted in the shtm page.

If I use:
<!-- #exec cmd="/cgi_bin/counter.exe" --> the scrip is not executed, but the comment is removed from the source!

Why does the script not execute? I can run it locally or as a normal script, but not as a SSI. I put a beep in the script so I know it has been executed.

What do I need to return from the script to use it in an SSI I currently return "<p>You are visitor number X</p>" (not the quotes). Is this correct?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
JoeWest
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional:

Abyss web server opens a DOS console on the server (it does not do this for any other script) and closes it again without executing the application/script.
JoeWest
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional Additional!

Forget the #exec cmd problem above this was a read herring I should RTFM.

However I can only embed the file not execute it.

I have added EXE as a CGI file type although I use the windows registry setting to do this normally for CGI scripts!

Any help?

Regards
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try browsing http://127.0.0.1/cgi_bin/counter.exe . What do you get?
If you get error 500, the counter is breaking the CGI spec and you should fix your code. Generally, to make a program conform to CGI add some headers in the beginning. The bare minimum is:
Code:

printf("Content-type: text/html\n\n");

If the counter isn't executed (you get a download screen, or some code dump) this means that the virtual path /cgi_bin/ wasn't declared as a CGI Path. Go to the CGI Parameters and and add /cgi_bin/ as a CGI Path.
.exe files are executed as CGI if in one of the CGI Paths. No other setting is required (no registry, nothing) to make them work.
If your http://127.0.0.1/cgi_bin/counter.exe runs correctly, then
Code:
<!-- #include virtual="/cgi_bin/counter.exe" -->

should work fine.[/code]
JoeWest
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and a great program. I too publish free software into the public domain for use in creating DVD subtitles.

The problem was that I was not including /cgi_bin/ as a CGI directory, so your advice has fixed that!

You may not be the person to ask, but how do you pop-up a password box such as when you are accessing a secured virtual directory?

I would like to put this into my scripts!

Thanks
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeWest wrote:

You may not be the person to ask, but how do you pop-up a password box such as when you are accessing a secured virtual directory?

I would like to put this into my scripts!
Thanks

We cannot gove you immediatly a code snippet but such a code return satus 401 back to the client to start the authentication. It should process the received password later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> FastCGI/CGI All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: