I wont be online in a few weeks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmxflash
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: I wont be online in a few weeks Reply with quote

Today, 06:40, I was raided by the Swedish police, which accused me of illegal activities on the internet and taking over several servers.

The police took 7 of my computers, including my college laptop and the server in the raid. Hopfully, I'll be back online in a few weeks. Until then, I will be inactive on this forum and my server will also be offline.

They also took 4 of my external harddrives, and for some reason, my PDAs and my MP3-player.

Last edited by cmxflash on Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
PaulK
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you're ok mate, look forward to welcoming you back soon!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope to see you back later. I think they took your MP3 player because they're
probably looking for evidence of illegal music downloads.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tom Chapman
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol how ever did you know you smart cookie and although we've never really got on, I'd hate to see you go as well. From what I've observed, police hardly ever do the job right lol so I truly hope you'll be ok!

you know, he might even get the read this topic till he get back :o
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cmxflash
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRUSTAbyss wrote:
Hope to see you back later. I think they took your MP3 player because they're
probably looking for evidence of illegal music downloads.

Nope, they're just after some evidence they're hopping to find on my harddrives. They found my pirated Counter-Strike disk on my desktop but they didn't take it.

They just took the MP3-player because I could have stored some "illegal content" on it.

Anyways, right now my internet connection is beeing logged (they told me so) so I wont reveal too much information.
cmxflash
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys, I'm back. And I still don't know what I'm accused of, even tough I have a feeling of what it is.

I'm currently using a replacement computer (my old laptop). I will get my college laptop back on Monday, which the cops said was "clean" of evidence. I guess this little program did its job. I'm not sure when I will get my server back, mainly since I doesn't need it as much as my laptop and they beeing lazy.

However, it looks like I will be getting out of this mess without any kind of punishment. The cops advised me not to get a lawyer yet, since it doesn't look that bad. If this would have happened in the US, I would probably get sent to juvy or something similar.

Hopfully they wont be too hard on what they will find on my other computers. I kept them unencrypted since I never tought the cops would be knocking on my door.

By the way, they got pretty pissed when they found my Auditor CD. As far as I know, it's not illegal to have a copy of a free Linux distribuation. We use Auditior in my college to test the security of our networks and just to play around with. They took it as evidence.

* Edit
Donated $10 to the TrueCrypt Project.
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, makes me wonder how if the cops will raid me 8| but nevertheless hope you get everything back :D
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the EFS or BitLocker on Vista compare to True Crypt and its relatives?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cmxflash
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrWiseOne wrote:
Would the EFS or BitLocker on Vista compare to True Crypt and its relatives?

My guess is that the government has made some deal with Microsoft in order to be able to decrypt its content.

TrueCrypt on the other hand is both free and open source, so it would not be possible to include some sort of "master key" to decrypt any TrueCrypt volume. Sure, they could have included that in the binaries on their website, however, it's very unlikly they did. If you're paranoid, you could just compile TrueCrypt yourself.
madman1337
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is nothing truly illegial from the Auditor cd. It is just a buch of network tools to check security and intergity of personal networks. Its only illegial if they log you doing something your not supposed to do with it. Its just like guns; not exactly illegal to own or to use in certian ways, but if you use it in the wrong way...well, you aren't getting out of prison in a long time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guns are illigal to posess in the UK ;-) US is different.
cmxflash
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guns are illegal in Sweden too.
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait wait how did we get on guns?????? O_0
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hc2995 wrote:

madman1337 wrote:
Its just like guns; not exactly illegal to own or to use in certian ways, but if you use it in the wrong way...well, you aren't getting out of prison in a long time.

hc2995
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbyssUnderground wrote:
hc2995 wrote:

madman1337 wrote:
Its just like guns; not exactly illegal to own or to use in certian ways, but if you use it in the wrong way...well, you aren't getting out of prison in a long time.

lol odd, but whatever
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hc2995 wrote:
AbyssUnderground wrote:
hc2995 wrote:

madman1337 wrote:

lol odd, but whatever

Well, you asked ;-)
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbyssUnderground wrote:
hc2995 wrote:
AbyssUnderground wrote:
hc2995 wrote:

madman1337 wrote:

lol odd, but whatever

Well, you asked ;-)

lol i know :)
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love texas...its legal to own guns and its perfectly legal to shoot someone that trespasses on your property. just the way it shuld be.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman1337 wrote:
I love texas...its legal to own guns and its perfectly legal to shoot someone that trespasses on your property. just the way it shuld be.

Lucky, in Maryland you have to "Have probible cause of persoanl injury" (IE someone has to be attacking you) to shoot them :/

ALSO! Another thing i dont get is, there is a law that if someone is berglerizing your home and they get hurt they can sue! WTF!!!! If they get hurt thats there dumb ass fault they had no right to be there in the first place!
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't we going off topic?

What you just said is so TRUE. I heard on the news that a burgler sued the
owner and won. It's sad to see America the way it is today.
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree i think we have gone a way off topic, but the name of the forum is "Off Topic Discussions" so if no one has a problem with it, i say keep ranting XD

Last edited by hc2995 on Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
madman1337
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyways, back on topic, there really wasn't much that they could truly use against you, and that is the illegial music and pirated software, but that is a case between you and the other companies. but, chances are, they are going to tell the companies, so the worst that can happen is some civil lawsuit.

anyways, best of luck to ya, and I hope that everything just works out for you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman1337 wrote:
anyways, back on topic, there really wasn't much that they could truly use against you, and that is the illegial music and pirated software, but that is a case between you and the other companies. but, chances are, they are going to tell the companies, so the worst that can happen is some civil lawsuit.

anyways, best of luck to ya, and I hope that everything just works out for you.

true it is not "illegal" in the usual sense, it is stealing and the companies are can (and mostly will) take you up in a civil suit
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you're back, cmxflash, care to share more about this primetime drama of yours regarding the police intruding on you (this time, because I thought, normally, it was the other way around :-D).

Your posts have always been truly educational and informative (AuditorCD, TrueCrypt, etc.).

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
cmxflash
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got my laptop back, which was "clean". Still haven't heard anything about the rest of my gear, but I will call the cops next week and tell them I want it back. I still don't know anything more about the case since they kept it secret. However, I really don't want to give out more information about it on the forum, since they told me they'd keep my connection logged.

I don't think I'm in too much trouble tough, I'll probably get fined a few hundred of dollars or get some (God forbid) community service. Depending on what "evidence" they'll find, I might even get out of this without any punishment. If they find me guilty of whatever I'm accused of, I will be in the cops register for five years.
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, good luck to you, man. Here's (drinks up) to you on getting all your stuff back.

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: