Another, can't connect to my site problem thingy!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Woolley
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Another, can't connect to my site problem thingy!! Reply with quote

My system is a home-network setup, with my computer being the one that connects the rest to the internet. Most of the problems i've read on the forum is of my type, LocalHost, no problem. Connecting from outside, no-go!
The post on the top of this section of the forum "Can't view your website-bla,bla,bla...worked for some of the way to solving my crisis. But when it came to port forwarding, i fell at this hurdle. I can get into my router page with no problem, but the only mention of port forwarding is under the section of virtual server. With this i put in what it required and tried it, it just takes me back to the log in page of my router.....any thoughts!!

My system setup is as follows....AMDAthlon XP2600+ (2.09GHz) and 1.50GB of ram. The router is a TRENDnet TEW-435BRM 11g wireless ADSL modem router. I'm running Windows XP pro with SP2. And i'm not sure if my ISP blocks port 80?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try going to www.portforward.com and see if they list your router. It will explain how to port forward and you might be able to see where you are going wrong.
Robert Woolley
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Port Forward Reply with quote

Tried this with no joy, my router is not in the list!
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who is your ISP? Also what is your router type, as this will help you get your problem solved faster ;)
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Moden Type and ISP Reply with quote

My ISP Provider is PIPEX (8MG Broadband)
The Router is a TRENDnet TEW-435BRM 54Mbps 802.11g ADSL Moden Router. The router log-in page is no problem to get into, but the only mention of Port Forwarding on the page, or the manual is in the section about VIRTUAL SERVERS?...nothing else!. I've looked in other sections, FIREWALL RULES & SERVICES but again nothing about Port Forwarding. I tried to phone TRENDnet but just got stuck on a waiting Queue, costing something like £1 a minute, i put the phone down after 20 minutes. Thats my pocket money gone for the next 20 years!....me brain hurts trying to solve this problem. Thanks for trying to help!!
West Auckland, world cup winners twice. Met most of the 1966 world cup squad when they played West Auckland, just after Dennis Waterman made his "Captains Tale" television thingy. I was 12 years old when England beat Germany in 1966
Gannyaa
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Your lookin in the right direction Reply with quote

Your lookin in the right direction

The VIRTUAL SERVER is a good place to start
have port 80 forward to your computer local IP 192.168.1.116
- which could be your laptop and your webserver could be IP 192.168.1.127
or 192.168.1.xxx or your computer. Check the CLIENT List as well to see how you are connected to the router.

Can you post a screen shot of the VIRTUAL SERVER settings page?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
m1rkd1rk
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should buy a Belkin router.

They are better because they have preset port forwarding rules for loads of games and other applications that need to go through a router.

Only thing though, I find running Abyss through it slows it right down, so no massive downloads while running your server. I also recommend forwarding port 8080 not 80, 80 is the standard virtual server port and especially if you are going through a router, 80 could be used by another PC on the network. Just make sure Abyss is configured like that.

Your router seems to be a practically unkown brand, and a few google searches might bring up some guide or forum dedicated to it.

Or another option is installing Abyss on the PC physically connected to the router and port fowarding wont be a problem.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Robert Woolley
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: My Virtual Server Page in router setup. Reply with quote

I'm just going to forget it and bin Abyss server. I've just signed for a web hosting package, they can have all the headaches. This was my last attempt, as i've been trying to solve this for months now, with no joy. Anyway thanks to all.....Merry Christmas to everyone and thanks![/img]
West Auckland, world cup winners twice. Met most of the 1966 world cup squad when they played West Auckland, just after Dennis Waterman made his "Captains Tale" television thingy. I was 12 years old when England beat Germany in 1966
m1rkd1rk
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh Abyss is a good virtual server, you just need a good router if you want to run it through a wireless network.

To be honest wireless networks arent the best way to run a server especially with high load.

If your still interested I forgot to mention one thing.

In a wireless network the inside IP of every computer changes when you turn them on or disable the connection to the network. This may be why you were having trouble. First, right click on the wireless network icon in the task bar, select "Properties" then click on the Support tab, what you need is the IP Adress, make a note of it. Now go into your router settings. You need to change the port the "default host" is running on to 8080 if it is not already. Now you need to forward port 8080 to the inside IP of your computer, and you will need to check the IP every time you turn your computer on and make the changes in the router settings.

I really recommend trying to find some sort of firmware update for your router or at least a support forum/site. Belkin routers can go just over £30 on ebay, take a look at this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Belkin-Wireless-Cable-DSL-Gateway-Router-F5D7130_W0QQitemZ160047521338QQihZ006QQcategoryZ44997QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem its the one me and my dad use in our 5 pc network.

I wish you good luck with your hosting package and a merry christmas.

P.S If you want to really get Abyss working, install it if you have uninstalled it, and why not send me a remote assistance request via MSN? :D (on your main pc cos remote assistance dont work very well with a router!)
Robert Woolley
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Just going to leave well alone. Reply with quote

I've tried all these suggestions and none work for me. It looks like the modem router i use is the problem. It works fine, so im going to leave things alone. I've found out that the VIRTUAL SERVER page on the router login has no Port Forwarding section, can't enter any port 80 or 8080 into it.
I've been told you have to build firewall rules in a section called FIREWALL RULES, but again no Port Forwarding. This is getting a bit dangerous as i am not sure what to do, and the manual is poor to explain the setup. All the above things i've tried, but the only thing it does is take me back to my router log-in page, and outsiders too!. Like i've said, i will let my new hosting company deal with all the headaches. I have now uninstalled Abyss x2 and put it in the bin.

Again thanks for all the help, i'll not be back in the forum anymore.
Live long and prosper!!!
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Just going to leave well alone. Reply with quote

Robert Woolley wrote:
Again thanks for all the help, i'll not be back in the forum anymore.
Live long and prosper!!!

Your problem is with your router. You would have experienced the same issues with any server (FTP, web, mail, or whatever). We don't see how Abyss Web Server is in fault here.

Why not asking your router manufacturer for help and support?
m1rkd1rk
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your Router manufacturer still exist?

I think Abyss is not at fault here like Aprelium said.

Oh well I wish you all the best with your new site on your hosting and a merry christmas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: