Images load twice. Why?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Images load twice. Why? Reply with quote

[EDIT: Problem Solved. See final post ]

I use Opera as my main browser, and for a while now have suffered with a serious problem:

Images load twice.

It happens most with Gallery2, though it also happens with some other scripts (though I forget which). It only happens with Opera, not Firefox or IE, and it doesn't happen with these same scripts on other servers using Apache or whatever.

[EDIT: Example removed]

Any ideas?

Last edited by Lawrence on Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't load the images twice for me, and I used Opera to access the Photo
Gallery. Why do you think this is Abyss's fault?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cmxflash
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loaded once in both IE and Firefox. Firefox (and Opera?) loads the image from the cache if it has allready viewed it before. When the rest of the page has finnished loading, Firefox will reload the image to make sure it has not changed since it was loaded last time.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I host that script using abyss as my webserver. Everyone I know using the latest versions of Opera complains that images load twice. Different ISPs, different computers, different cities, same problem.

Quote:
Why do you think this is Abyss's fault?

'cause it doesn't do it on any other webserver. Maybe it's Opera's fault, but it doesn't do it on any other webserver, so at the very least it's a problem between the two systems.

The image loads, but just before it finishes it starts over. Sometimes it blanks the image to do so, sometimes it leaves the mostly-done one visible, though it will disappar in chunks if you scrol part of it off the screen before the second reload is done.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Mikor
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i'm using the latest version of opera and it dosnt do it for me

MSN:
michael_walker_2004 <at> hotmail <dot> com
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opera 9.01 here.

I just had it confirmed by someone in another country, they're seeing the same effect too. It's especially noticable on large vertical images. If you scroll around the parts that slide offscreen get cut off.

To recap: it's a problem with the combination of Opera and Abyss. No other browser and no other server app has the same issue. The problem can be replicated, it's not a once-in-a-while thing.

Irritating.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence,

Could you copy/paste here the log lines showing an example of an image loading twice?
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aprelium.

Code:

IP - - [17/Oct/2006:21:11:19 +0900] "GET /URL/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=593&g2_serialNumber=6 HTTP/1.1" 200 46336 "http://nfggames.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=593" "Opera/9.01 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en)"
IP - - [17/Oct/2006:21:11:18 +0900] "GET /URL/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=593&g2_serialNumber=6 HTTP/1.1" 200 46336 "http://nfggames.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=593" "Opera/9.01 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en)"

Doesn't seem to be anything weird about it, except that it's logged twice...

Last edited by Lawrence on Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:01 am; edited 1 time in total
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence wrote:
Doesn't seem to be anything weird about it, except that it's logged twice...

It's logged twice because there were two requests for it. The server does not do more than answering requests that the browser sends. So one has to determine here why is Opera sending two requests for the same image in less than 1 second.
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it looks like it's coming from the browser, except that I do not get the same result when I view the same script on any other webhost. It's something weird between the two, perhaps Opera's reading a header wrong in the PHP, I dunno...
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Problem solved. Reply with quote

Solved the problem.

Turns out it was the PHP prepend that was causing the trouble. My prepend.php file was:

Code:

<?php
ob_start("ob_gzhandler");
?>

This was freaking out something, and caused Opera to load the images twice. I removed this chunk of code and everything's groovy again.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gZip compression on my site and Ive never experienced these issues. Weird.
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to drag up such an old thread, but I'm having the same problem again. I've got a fresh install going on: New PHP5 (used to run PHP4). New PHP.INI, no prepend files, gzip compression is disabled in PHP, but images in gallery2 are once again loading twice in Opera (running 9.24, the latest non-beta).

You can see what I mean if you're an Opera user: Awesome Self Portrait

All ideas are welcomed!
aprelium-beta
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence,

Is Opera requesting the page twice? We did a test with 9.23 and it worked fine (at least from our point of view). We'll do a test tomorrow with 9.24.
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The page doesn't load twice, only the images. I was convinced it's something to do with the PHP setup, but since this is a brand new PHP5 install using a default PHP.INI (the aprelium remixed version of PHP5 was used) I don't think that's the problem.

Which means that somehow it's a carryover in the Abyss config? I had to migrate the whole server to a new box (which went very quickly and easily, thanks aprelium!) only to find this old problem striking back. =(

My father has the same problem, so it's not just me. It's not just Opera 9.24 either, I had the problem a year ago when Iwas probably using Opera 8.
aprelium-beta
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence wrote:
My father has the same problem, so it's not just me. It's not just Opera 9.24 either, I had the problem a year ago when Iwas probably using Opera 8.

Opera code could have a bug which just reappeared in 9.24. Could you please let us know if: http://nfggames.com/gallery/d/593-6/RedBull1.jpg is directly linked to a static file on your system or does it invoke a PHP script to serve the image?
olly86
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence wrote:

As only Opera is showing this bug, it might be worth submiting a bug report to Opera directily:
http://www.opera.com/support/bugs/

--
I've submited a report using "Report a site problem" from the Help menu.
-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aprelium-beta wrote:
Opera code could have a bug which just reappeared in 9.24.

My guess is the 'bug' never went away. Last time it happened I solved it on my end.

aprelium-beta wrote:
Could you please let us know if: http://nfggames.com/gallery/d/593-6/RedBull1.jpg is directly linked to a static file on your system or does it invoke a PHP script to serve the image?

It's a script, that is not a link to a flat file. This is a direct link, and doesn't load twice.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence wrote:
aprelium-beta wrote:
Opera code could have a bug which just reappeared in 9.24.

My guess is the 'bug' never went away. Last time it happened I solved it on my end.

aprelium-beta wrote:
Could you please let us know if: http://nfggames.com/gallery/d/593-6/RedBull1.jpg is directly linked to a static file on your system or does it invoke a PHP script to serve the image?

It's a script, that is not a link to a flat file. This is a direct link, and doesn't load twice.

Can you post the script here (or send it to us) so that we can understand what's going on?
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The script is the very popular Gallery2. I upgraded to the newest version (2.2.3) just now to ensure that wasn't the problem. It's still doing it. =(
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence wrote:
The script is the very popular Gallery2. I upgraded to the newest version (2.2.3) just now to ensure that wasn't the problem. It's still doing it. =(

We're going to give it a try to understand how Opera is dealing with the script output in that particular case.
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing I have been able to do with resolve this problem. It still happens to every file requested by an Opera browser that goes through Gallery2 PHP. It doesn't happen on other PHP scripts, or on other browsers.

It's quite maddening, really, moreso because I had solved it once on my old server, and because on this new server I'm using the default PHP5 and Abyss installations (though I did carry over the old Abyss CONF file).
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence,

The good news is that we've experienced that same behavior (images are downloaded 2 or three times) on sites no powered by Abyss Web Server using Opera. The same sites with Firefox load just fine.

It seems to happen when there are many embedded images in a page with some of them larger than a few tens of kilobytes.
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, it may be good news for you but it doesn't help me much. =)

It's definitely a problem with PHP somehow - I don't get this problem at all when the same page is loaded as a static page. Only images fed through a PHP script are affected. I can even get the same behaviour on a single image with no HTML, if it's called by a PHP script.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence wrote:
Haha, it may be good news for you but it doesn't help me much. =)

Some Opera long time users have suggested to us that such a behavior may be related to this parameter:

Opera > Preferences Menu > Advanced Tab > Loading > Redraw every X seconds.

So if you are loading a PHP page that is being generated chunk by chunk, Opera will redraw the page several times until it gets it fully. Meanwhile, images referenced by the page are incorrectly being reloaded instead of being redisplayed from the cache or the memory.
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried what you suggest, and it masks the problem rather than hiding it. One symptom of the loads-twice issue is that it sometimes doesn't load an image at all, as if it's somehow failing during one of the load processes. If I change Opera's behaviour to 'draw after completed' it loads the entire page before drawing it, but still I get some images that just don't load.

I would suggest that while it is Opera that is perhaps not insistent enough when requesting data, it is Abyss that's failing to provide the data in the same way other webservers do.

What really annoys me most is that this problem was resolved on one system, brought to new server hardware, where it now fails. Same config, same PHP, same INI files. Surely this isn't something that's so complicated? <frustrated>
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence wrote:
I would suggest that while it is Opera that is perhaps not insistent enough when requesting data, it is Abyss that's failing to provide the data in the same way other webservers do.

Abyss couldn't be blamed since the issue has been experienced on other servers too. Abyss won't drop any connection unless the browser does request it explicitly. In this case, Opera is simply hanging the download or breaking the connection.

Have you reported the problem to Opera's people? What was their feedback?
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This problem appears to have been solved with a fresh Abyss installation. I don't know what was up with my legacy CONF file, but every single problem I've had with Abyss over the last two years has gone away now.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawrence wrote:
This problem appears to have been solved with a fresh Abyss installation. I don't know what was up with my legacy CONF file, but every single problem I've had with Abyss over the last two years has gone away now.

!!!! That's really strange. Have you archived a copy of your old abyss.conf so that we can see the differences?
Lawrence
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But of course. =)

I'll email it to you soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: