mirroring?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: mirroring? Reply with quote

Ok it just happened, my servers harddrive failed and i lossed some data and a lot of downtime. So now im thinking of buying an external harddrive after i figure out 1 thing, i have heard of a thing called "mirroring" where if HD A goes down HD B will take over. So i wanted to know if it ws possible to do with windows XP and with abyss.
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesnt relate to abyss as its a hardware function. Its called RAID and can be difficult to set up. The best thing to do is buy 2 drives and get it to backup every 12/24 hours. A failing RAID drive can still cause problems and the second may not take over.
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well then ill just buy a new HD (the old on is small and bad lol i think its got a few bad sectors and 1/10 of it cant read/write)
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, there are many diffrent RAID configs...some being having one drive write while the other one reads, and it reads it as one big hard drive. another is setup so two drives act as one drive but they do the exact same thing the other is doing. there are a few other configurations, but those are the most popular.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman1337 wrote:
some being having one drive write while the other one reads, and it reads it as one big hard drive. .

Think about that one for a second... If one drives writes and the other reads, one will be full of data it can't read and one will be empty and reading nothing. That isn't a RAID config ;)

RAID 1 is the mirroring as described, not sure why you'd buy two drives and backup every 12 hours as AU suggested. If you have two drives and want the exact content of one on the other RAID1 is the way to go. It's easy to setup if your motherboard already has a an onboard RAID controller.

"Invent an idiot proof webserver and they'll invent a better idiot..."
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymoose wrote:
madman1337 wrote:
some being having one drive write while the other one reads, and it reads it as one big hard drive. .

Think about that one for a second... If one drives writes and the other reads, one will be full of data it can't read and one will be empty and reading nothing. That isn't a RAID config ;)

RAID 1 is the mirroring as described, not sure why you'd buy two drives and backup every 12 hours as AU suggested. If you have two drives and want the exact content of one on the other RAID1 is the way to go. It's easy to setup if your motherboard already has a an onboard RAID controller.

He may not want to go as far as a complete mirror. Sometimes just backing up once or twice a day is enough. RAID systems can fail just as easily as non-RAID systems so its whether you want to pay extra money and waste time setting up RAID thats the problem. Personally I would just get software to mirror the data on the drive (I used to use norton ghost 9.0 and it worked perfectly for this).
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i think im going to just buy an enternal HD and back up my internal HD every day so that way if the internal fails the external will have the data so i dont loss anything (no my PC dosent have a RAID controller im looking into it but i doubt ill do it as im not good with RAID)
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hc2995 wrote:
yea i think im going to just buy an enternal HD and back up my internal HD every day so that way if the internal fails the external will have the data so i dont loss anything (no my PC dosent have a RAID controller im looking into it but i doubt ill do it as im not good with RAID)

Thats what I do and it works well. Just set up an automatic system for backing it up. You must make sure the drive is connected otherwise (obviously) it will fail. One day you might forget and regret it :-)
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i plan to leave it connected 24/7 (its got battery back up so if power goes out durring back up im ok :D) and it comes with a scheduale system (so i set date: DATE and time: 12:00 am frequency: daily)

also i cant do raid...... my PC dosent have RAID1 or RAID0 connections.......
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can install a PCI Card for a Raid Controller. I have one on my old server
that ran my Windows Server 2003.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oppps forgot about the PCI slot thnx ill look into that :D
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

having one drive read and the other write is a RAID 0 config, and it shares information whenever it is needed. its not that one hard drive fills before the other, its just that is splits the work load and then reconsolidates when the load relives. I have a computer with two 80GB SATA 3.0GB/s hard drives in a raid 0 config, and it reads it as one 160GB hard drive. its my gaming computer with an X1300

heres some info on raid 0

ive been building computers since I was 8...I know my hardware.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt know they had RAID software O.0 onlything i know of was the card that you plug both drives into then plug the master end of the motherboard cable into (the real name is IDE cable i just call it motherboard cable lol)
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman1337 wrote:

ive been building computers since I was 8...I know my hardware.

Apparently not, since you seem to have no understanding of what you just quoted. Raid 0 uses both drives for reading *and* writing. It also provides absolutely no extra reliability or redundancy in the data. Not a useful solution for data protection on a server. Raid 1 is the absolute minimum you would want on a home server solution.

hc2995
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAID 1= HD A and HD B have same info if HD A fails HD B starts
RAID 0= HD A and HD B Share some of the information the PC combines both A and B to make 1 big HD (EX if HD A is 150MB and HD B is 100 Youll see a 250 MB HD in the "My Computer" area of the PC
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hc2995 wrote:
RAID 1= HD A and HD B have same info if HD A fails HD B starts
RAID 0= HD A and HD B Share some of the information the PC combines both A and B to make 1 big HD (EX if HD A is 150MB and HD B is 100 Youll see a 250 MB HD in the "My Computer" area of the PC

Close, but no cigar. You technically shouldn't mix disk sizes, but if you do, you only get the size of the smallest disk in the set. Mixing a 100GB with 150GB drive would result in a 200GB striped set.

RTAdams89
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not to get in the middle of this delightful RAID discussion, but on the back up note: a simple batch file can copy folders from on drive to another. I have mien copy all the folders I really want from drive A to B daily and weekly. So I always have a back up that is less than 24 hours old, and another that is less than 7 days old. Works great for me. I also run na regular back up with WinBackup to copy my entire A hard drive to B.
hc2995
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was close lol yea but i plan to run RAID 1 (HD A as main and HD B as back-up if HD A goes down HD B takes over operation) after i get a RAID controller and an internal HD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: