Virtual Directory on another server

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PWD
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Virtual Directory on another server Reply with quote

Greetings!

I currently have 1 static IP running the following separate boxes:
1 Web Server, 1 Exchange Server and my Domain Controller.

I use Abyss to run the SSL portion on my website and am trying to add a virtual (alias) path to a directory located on another server on my network.

What I am trying to accomplish is to run Outlook Web Access (OWA) from my Exchange Server through my SSL Abyss web server. When I click browse to find the directory, it only gives me local options. I attempt to enter the network address (\\server\owa file path) and it gives me a 'Directory Not Found' error.

System:
1) Windows 2000 Server
2) Exchange 2000 Enterprise Edition
3) Abyss X1 (free edition)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-PWD
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you do \\server\drive\htdocs otherwise its \\server\htdocs which means there is no drive specified.

NOTE: "drive" is the share name.
PWD
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, made sure my path was correct. Since i use IIS 5 (sorry!) as my webserver of choice for my main website, I created a virtual directory that points to my Exchange server and use NTLM for authentication. Works fine on my network, just not able to access this externally....Which is for a different forum, of course (since this isn't the IIS forum).

I still find Abyss flawless to run my SSL pages, just wish I could figure a way to redirect to my Exchange server...

Thanks for the look!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
loloyd
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see 3 possibilities here.

1. Would it not be possible for you to setup a drive mapping such that you can map a drive to the shared network path \\server\shared_network_path\? You could use unused drive letters here, maybe N: or O: or P: etc. This way, you will be able to browse, within Abyss, the path you were looking for.

2. Would it also not be possible for you to use UNCs such that, if your OWA file path is at
D:\Directory1\Directory2\OWA\ and your server name is Server1,
\\Server1\D$\Directory1\Directory2\OWA\
becomes available and then trying that in the field that you want Abyss to search for?

3. How about associating a virtual drive to a path route, like, for example running
SUBST Q: \\server\shared_network_path\
in a command prompt? You can then try to browse, within Abyss, the path you were looking for through Q:\ - as in this example.

http://home.loloyd.com/ is online if the logo graphic at left is showing.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
use NTLM for authentication

I beleive that is probably where the problem lies. If you need authentication then Abyss will not ask for it, it will simply cause an error as far as I can see. Since its an internal only network it should be ok to disable authentication for accessing network drives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: