Wireless router slowing down website?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
foreigneye
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Wireless router slowing down website? Reply with quote

Hello, I've been hosting my website using Abyss for about 2.5 years now. I used to have just a cable modem connecting my computer directly to the internet. Just recently I bought a wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) and now use it to connect to the internet and I also have two other computers connecting wirelessly. I forwarded the ports and the website works, but it is PAINFULLY slow. It was never slow before. On top of that, my download speed has doubled since I installed the router because I also installed an ethernet card (my modem was connected USB before), so I don't think it's the added connections. Is it just the router? Is there anything I can do to make it faster? I won't be able to use Abyss if I can't make it faster, and that will make me sad :(

I have:

2.8 Ghz processor, Windows XP, 640 RAM.
Cable connection, Linksys WRT54G Router
Website connecting on Port 80
Sygate Firewall, NO windows firewall
my website is http://aughraseye.no-ip.com (Just pictures of my family and one Javascript menu).

Is there anything I can do? Thank you in advance!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting very good speeds here, 65KB/s roughly. Wireless will slow down if you have a poor signal. Also, firewalls such as ZoneAlarm are culprits for slowing the speed down too.

If you are running a server I suggest that PC should be wired because its more stable.
foreigneye
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Inquisitor wrote:
Getting very good speeds here, 65KB/s roughly. Wireless will slow down if you have a poor signal. Also, firewalls such as ZoneAlarm are culprits for slowing the speed down too.

If you are running a server I suggest that PC should be wired because its more stable.

My server computer is wired, from computer to router to modem to cable connection. When I use another computer, the pictures upload as slow on mine. It used to load instantly but now the pictures take about 10 seconds to load completely. Do the pictures load instantly for you?
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They load pretty much instantly. It could be the fact that the router does not like loopback as much as it should. Maybe a firmware upgrade will solve this. I use linksys myself and have never had troubles after I upgraded the firmware. Could be worth a shot, but do it right. We dont want to end up with a dud router.
foreigneye
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. The other computer that I tried it on is one that's connected wirelessly. I didn't think about how it would be essentially the same as connecting with mine. Duh! I will look into upgrading the firmware. I'm glad to hear that it's only slow on my end. I'll also try it from another computer. Thank you so much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: