External access to site issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjanak
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: External access to site issues Reply with quote

Okay. I've left the defaults in for Abyss. USing port 80 etc. Although thats allowed to be changed right? I mean its generall not good to keep the defualts right?

I've setup my Linksys Router for UPNP Port Fowarding, Fowarding Calls on HTTP port 80 to go to my PC's internal Static IP. My ISP's IP is Dynamic. So I signed up a while ago for a Freem domain name and useDynamic IP monitoring software that communicates with DynDNS.org, I'm USing UpnP Port Fowarding because using thwe Linksys's "Port Range Fowarding" causes the address http://video-freak.kicks-a$$.net(Dollar signs replace "S" for this post) to fail here on my end

Its my understanding that such free monitoring of ISP IP changes can result in people getting nowhere if they tipe the above address. I've had this for a few years and this free Address has never ever worked outside of my own PC. So I must be continuously doing something wrong
My Linksys comes with a setting for DynDNS.org and I tried it too. Even though DynDNS.org says the Linksys' setup was implemented incorrectly.

When I run ipconfig at the command prompt it says it cannot find video-freak.kicks-A$$.net also

Alo what exactly is a virtual path? I get that its a "fake path" but Im not sure how to use it

I've setup my html page on a different drive and folder than the default HTdocs folder.

Do I have to absolutley setup the server to Allow an IP range? My friend uses verizon just as I do. But I don't know the range. ANd one can't know everyones IP range so seems like I won't need to know it.

I have to say that this Web Server software is not at all easily understood by the average joe. At least not this one.
I can't thik of anymore questions to ask
Back to top View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
hubson
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the looks of it you have the same router as myself, in the DDNS Service : change it to disabled, and dyndns.org. then see if this sorts your problem out.

Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: External access to site issues Reply with quote

pjanak,

There is nothing to change in the default server configuration. It will work fine for most situations.

Your problems are caused by your network and not the software: you should configure port forwarding in the router, setup the dynamic IP, disable any firewall on your computer that may block port 80, and ensure that your ISP is not blocking port 80. All these checks and configuration have nothing to do the software itself (and cannot be automated by it).

Please read http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3806 for more information about the checks you must make to ensure that your network is not blocking incoming connections to the server.
pjanak
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I fifnall got things to the point where my friend can access the my site. The passwording even works. The thing that was causing the problem before was the fact that I thought I was using virtual paths properly. Apparently not. The manual doesnt even really tell what do do with regards to creating a virtual path. I mean what do you do just pick an folder on your drive? It doesnt seem to explain how to tie them to the real paths. At least that I noticed.

Anyway, The page is just basic HTML with a few links to download. He gets to the page but none of the links are clickable. Yet they are here on my end. Although a left click renders nothing. But a right click "save target as" does

The links pont to objects in a folder And the code for the link is like this:
<p class="style2"><a href="file:///J|/Epiphone/mysong.mp3" target="_self">My Song</a> <span class="style3">3,540 KB </span></p>

So Im wondering if its something to do with "file:///J. AS you don't see that when you download even from the simplest pages. Its always a URL link instaed of a files link. accept I guess ona ftp site

SO I guess that measn there is something fundamental I'm not doing right. Like this webserver isn't actually serving anything. Like a server would. I don't know.

CGI, PHP I don't know what any of that stuff is. Nor do I know if I can use any of that strictly with just having the Abyss software.
Pete
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjanak wrote:
Okay. I fifnall got things to the point where my friend can access the my site. The passwording even works. The thing that was causing the problem before was the fact that I thought I was using virtual paths properly. Apparently not. The manual doesnt even really tell what do do with regards to creating a virtual path. I mean what do you do just pick an folder on your drive? It doesnt seem to explain how to tie them to the real paths. At least that I noticed.

The first chapter of the user manual explains in one page what virtual paths are: http://www.aprelium.com/data/doc/2/abyssws-win-doc-html/howdowswork.html .

Quote:

Anyway, The page is just basic HTML with a few links to download. He gets to the page but none of the links are clickable. Yet they are here on my end. Although a left click renders nothing. But a right click "save target as" does

The links pont to objects in a folder And the code for the link is like this:
<p class="style2"><a href="file:///J|/Epiphone/mysong.mp3" target="_self">My Song</a> <span class="style3">3,540 KB </span></p>

So Im wondering if its something to do with "file:///J. AS you don't see that when you download even from the simplest pages. Its always a URL link instaed of a files link. accept I guess ona ftp site

SO I guess that measn there is something fundamental I'm not doing right. Like this webserver isn't actually serving anything. Like a server would. I don't know.

The paths you are putting in your HTML refrence the hard drive and not the files on the web site. For the browser to understand that it must get the files from the web site (and not from the local hard drive), you must enter virtual paths (the definition is in the link cited above). A virtual path begins with /.
So if your Abyss Web Server is configured to serve files from C:\website and if your file on your hard drive is C:\website\test\2005\file.txt, its virtual path is /test/2005/file.txt .

Notice that the above rule is not specific to Abyss Web Server. It is actually a general rule that applies to all web server and is documented in HTML manuals and courses.

Quote:
CGI, PHP I don't know what any of that stuff is. Nor do I know if I can use any of that strictly with just having the Abyss software.
Pete

Abyss Web Server can serve static HTML files but can also ask external programs to process HTML forms data and generate for it answer pages which are not static (they are generated on demand and not saved as a static HTML file). Abyss discusses with these external programs using a communication protocol called CGI. These programs could be written in any computer language (almost) but some languages are more appropriate than others. PHP is one of the languages that was tailored for this purpose and is one of the most popular.
pjanak
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny. I woke up this morning and it hit me. Of course a website isnt going to know where a J drive is. Its gotta know the web address. So I fixed that I'm such a dork. LOL

Thanks for the info. on EVERYTHING.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: