WiFi - Dont know what to buy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
comwiz3000
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: WiFi - Dont know what to buy Reply with quote

Hi! I am trying to work our what to buy for this wireless network I am going to setup - the problem is that the distance is about 1km. I have 1 computer at one end with DSL and a modem and router, I want the computers 1km away to use the internet from the main network with internet.

Here is what i thought i might do:
Main network (with the internet connection) Plug the ethernet modem/router into a wifi router with a 10db arial .
Other network (1km away):
Have another wireless router with it original arial and get it to connect to the main network and just plug the computers in the router in this network.

BTW: I am planning to use 802.11g
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a start I doubt this will be possible with a normal antenna. You would need a very high gain antenna. These can cost a bomb. Also, it needs to be as high up as possible. The higher the better. A line of sight to the place 1km away is best. You will need an equal setup at both places in order for the signal to reach each other.

Wireless is never going to be a good way to reach 1km. Its best for 0.3km at most in my experience. I cant even get 4 houses down my road before mine cuts off, but then it is on a standard antenna.
rrinc
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, be prepared for VERY LOW or none at all signal strength. My router can't transmit through 3 walls 100 feet (no concrete), and mine was expensive.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's expensive for a SOHO router (I'm guessing you paid maybe $150?) and expensive... Proper equipment for htis would probably run to about $700+. May be worth researching building your own equipment, but realistically, if you have to ask, you're probably not at the level where you could...

It's not going to happen at all with 802.11g, at least out of the box. You've also forgotten one important thing. Data/signal has to get back to the original network, as well as be received from it. It's no good having one router with a 10db aerial and one with a stock aerial. It might pick the signal up, but it sure as hell isn't going to be able to get one back to the 10db antenna.

"Invent an idiot proof webserver and they'll invent a better idiot..."
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: