Directory listing... ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChaNelo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:41 am    Post subject: Directory listing... ? Reply with quote

Good evening all!

I have stumbled across Abyss Web Server last night and decided to have some fun - I installed it and am impressed with the "gui" interface - compared to the complex use of Microsoft's stuff...
I have noticed it can and does support varies functions - that is good.
But like I said, I am just playing with this software -

What I would like to know is how to enable DIRECTORY LISTING/INDEXING for individual web dirs. I saw the AUTOMATIC DIRECTORY INDEXING but either that is turn ON or OFF. I would like to have it OFF at all times for a "feeling" of security but there are certain times when I would like to have
a web dir to have the INDEXING/LISTING. How can I do this? Or is it not possible? Does Abyss Web Server only support ON or OFF Indexing for the WHOLE server?

Thanks -

(I am so recommending this software to my friends who know "JACK" about computers - damn it was easy to install and it looks damn easy to configure and maintain. lol - but I am not quite ready to down my Apache Linux box for this yet... hehe... - probably use it for internal web purposes)
vbgunz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: "How to Create a Directory Listing in Abyss Web Server Reply with quote

Very simple. Create the directory in which you would like to show the list. Remove every and all files that start with index...

Remove: Index.htm
Remove: Index.html
Remove: Index.asp
Remove: Index.php
Remove: Index.pl
Remove: Index.anything

Now any other files and folders will be listed

Aprelium would say to read the manual and in it you'll find the answer but I understand you're only playing around with Abyss... Maybe you should at least find a little bit of time to play with the manual too :)

Its in there...

Good luck :)
ChaNelo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh heh - as I said, I am playing with the software... and it is proving to be a nice software too :-)

Yes - I did read the manual (Chapter 4 has the index stuff) but I think you mis-read my post.

I WANT "directory indexing" off so that it will ALWAYS give the 403 error to anyone trying to access a dir without a proper "index" file name listed in my configuration. However, I was hoping that there was a opinion to have directory indexing/listing for specific dirs.

ie.
1) /palmfiles <- no index files - I want a listing that will appear with the files located in this dir.
2) /palm <- doesn't have a proper index file so users get 403 unless you add /palm/files.htm where file.htm is whatever filename I put.
3) /"root" <-does have an index file (doh .. heh heh I better remember that) and so the users get a loaded page.

In Apache - you can enable or disable "directory index/listing" for each seperate dir and also set a default value for the whole site.

thanks dude - you time is appreciated.

ps. LOL - got a friend to try out Abyss Software - her first time using any web stuff and she had no problems setting it up. Hands down. GJ and keep up Aprelium - :-)
thedane
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps you could like at .htaccess files .. they do exactly the stuff you want :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: How to turn off Indexing Reply with quote

Server Configuration > Advanced > Server Parameters > Automatic Directory Indexing > Off

I hope that helps you out :)
vbgunz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: As to the above answer I gave you Reply with quote

If there is no index file in any directory with indexing services off your visitors shouldn't see anything without an absolute address to a file... It's global...
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaNelo,

Our advice is as follows: Let the Directory Indexing set to Yes.
Now, if you have a directory where you want to disable directory listing, just throw an index.html file (it can be empty of with a little message saying that directiry listing is prohibited for that path).
ChaNelo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone,

yups - I ended up giving on trying to figure out how to do it and have opted for Aprelium's suggestion.

Directory Indexing/Listing = OFF
and when I DO want indexing/listing for a specfic directory I would have to
create an index file with a listing. heh heh. ah wells. The world isn't perfect
:twisted: :lol: :wink:

thanks again everyone!

Happy "servering"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: