MySQL with XP Home with Abyss server?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
btos
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: MySQL with XP Home with Abyss server? Reply with quote

Does XP Home work with Abyss Web Server X1 (v 2.0.0.20) and MySQL as a platform for PHP5? I have the Coppermine Photo Gallery online and wanted to be able to work offline, prior to putting to the site. Abyss is a great work-around for ASP on the XP Home OS abortion. I thought I had read on WebThang, that MySql is incompatible with the XP Home OS (sadly, Gordon Knapp recently passed away as the moderator for WebThang). Does anyone know the answer? I cannot get through the installation proceedure for MySQL's latest version.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
olly86
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All versions of MySQL (4.x, and 5.x) work on XP Home.
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: MySQL with XP Home with Abyss server? Reply with quote

btos wrote:
I cannot get through the installation proceedure for MySQL's latest version.

It would help if you explain what problems you are having.;)
Yami King
-

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had that just download:
mysql-5.0.16-win32.zip

from the mysql website.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
btos
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the install instructions found on this website for what must be an older version of MySQL and put the version 5 program into the Abyss web server/database/mysql
I followed the prompts in the installation and errored out with a red x in the third checkbox. I can't get the same dialog to appear for the error. I went into the bin foder and clicked the cofiguration and am blocked where the start service button appears. Do I need to configure it in Abyss or am I getting blocked because of some other issue?
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btos,

In MySQL site, there is a Windows Installer version (.msi) of MySQL. It features a graphical installer and do not require any command line or file editing.
Yami King
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's also the one I used. But mine was packed as a zip file. That was called mysql-5.0.16-win32.

Name as zip: mysql-5.0.16-win32.zip
Name as setup: Setup.exe
Size as zip: 34,439kb ~= 34mb
Size as setup: 34,6kb ~= 35mb
Link to download: http://dev.mysql.com/get/Downloads/MySQL-5.0/mysql-5.0.18-win32.zip/from/pick

That was the one that worked for me.
btos
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice and the link. I do not recall which version I had installed. I will get the version that you linked me to, Yami. I'll give it a try. Thank you again.
btos
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The version that I had tried to install was named "Essential" (MySQL 5.0.18) and was a smaller file size than the 34mb that is now downloading- also version 5.0.18. I found no explanation as to the differences between the two files on the MySQL site so I had opted for the smaller one, since I'm on dial-up. I'll try this big one and see how it fits...when it finally finishes downloading. Thanks again for the support.
btos
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got time to clean up the hard drive and try to install the MySQL program, the 35mb version. I forgot where the instructions are on the forum! I remember that I was to make two folders inside the Abyss program >database/MySQL...I'm unsure if this is correct, even though I read it on this site...the Essential MySQL version installation did not work and it seems that the uninstall left some data files behind.

Since the program seems to be unforgiving in the installation process, I need to know if the above proceedure is the correct installation for the program. I may have gotten the wrong instructions...
Yami King
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed it in C:/Program Files/Abyss Web Server/database/mysql/

that worked for me.
btos
-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: SUCCESS Reply with quote

Thanks Yami...I have MySQL installed. Very confusing to install a database that calls it's self a server, into a server.

I'm sure my troubles are just beginning with the bridging programming that I want to try between Mambo and Coppermine...to view locally and remotely. Anyway, thank you for your support.
bprsk8r4272
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that all you have to do is just install it there or is there some other things you gotta change to configure it ? or is there a link somewhere to tell me what to do?

Last edited by bprsk8r4272 on Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
btos
-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO THIS: Install PHP- two versions, one for the database handler and one for the actual data, MySQL, set-up a database name, and then go into the program for installation. After that gauntlet, plan on spending days on the different forums trying to figure out what's going on. You should be good at it after getting far enough to install the damn thing.

I invested too much time in the Joomla/Mambo configs. It was too much work and I have paying customers to service. I opted to use ASP, which I know well enough for results. I did not finish the php, mysql, and Abyss gauntlet yet but may pick it back up when I get time, or complete steps are found for the necessary set-up on a localhost. I am a photographer in my spare time, and study programming, a necessary evil for display - using opposite hemishpheres of the brain. Joomla seems to be a blog / text designed program that doesn't lend itself to art easily. Programmers love it - artists do not! The learning curve put a whammy on me for now. Not enough information to be found easily! Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Databases All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: