Which *nix Is Better?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Computer-Pro
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Which *nix Is Better? Reply with quote

I would like to use a *nix os for my second comp. Which one is better and has a shell?

Thanks!
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you couldn't figure out where to click to launch another shell once the GUI was running doesn't mean there wasn't a shell... All *nix's have a shell. The shell is central to the whole system, xwindows and whatever window manager you've chosen runs to provide the GUI after the shell is already launched.

There is no better *nix - there may be a better *nix for you, but that doesn't mean it is the best distribution. You need to look at what you want to achieve by running it to decide which is best for you. Without knowing this, all I can recommend is which distributions are better for beginners - you could try Open Suse, Mandrake, Debian or Ubuntu.

If you're not sure you want to go the whole hog and install Linux, try getting a live CD image instead - after burning it to CD you will be able to reboot, boot from CD and have a play and see if it's for you or not.

You may find the forum at http://www.justlinux.com/ useful.

"Invent an idiot proof webserver and they'll invent a better idiot..."
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
roganty
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymoose wrote:
There is no better *nix - there may be a better *nix for you, but that doesn't mean it is the best distribution. You need to look at what you want to achieve by running it to decide which is best for you. Without knowing this, all I can recommend is which distributions are better for beginners - you could try Open Suse, Mandrake, Debian or Ubuntu.

here here! I second that!

Anonymoose wrote:
If you're not sure you want to go the whole hog and install Linux, try getting a live CD image instead - after burning it to CD you will be able to reboot, boot from CD and have a play and see if it's for you or not.

liveCDs can also come in handy if you manage to detroy windows and want to save some important work before the disk becomes reformatted

from your previous post:
Computer-Pro wrote:
Oh I just had a screen similar to Dos. And there wasn't a gui or desktop.

that was the shell you were looking at!

Roganty
| Links-Links.co.uk
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
liveCDs can also come in handy if you manage to detroy windows and want to save some important work before the disk becomes reformatted

Hey! I never thought of that :-)
Computer-Pro
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roganty wrote:

from your previous post:
Computer-Pro wrote:
Oh I just had a screen similar to Dos. And there wasn't a gui or desktop.

that was the shell you were looking at!

Oh then how do you get a desktop. lol Or as Anonymoose said a gui.

I've seen screenshots of the Gentoo deskop, but i couldn't figure out how to launch it.
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In he shell (bash, normally) just type

startx
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Computer-Pro
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks p3 now I just have to find my old livecd or burn another one.
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother with an old version of a live CD unless you have very limited bandwidth - I especially wouldn't be in a rush to find it if it's a Gentoo CD which is definitely not for beginners!

If you want a quick live CD download to have a play with Linux and aren't bothered exactly what applications come with it, have a look at Damn Small Linux. It's only a 50mb download and will boot automatically to a full desktop while providing you with easy access to a shell.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

You can also download from there the 'embedded' version of DSL - this is designed to actually perform a bit of voodoo and run in a window on your Windows desktop so you can get used to things before taking the plunge.

If you want something that's still small but with potential to add a lot more functionality, look at PuppyLinux.

http://www.puppylinux.org

Last edited by Anonymoose on Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Computer-Pro
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Anonymoose!
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Anonymoose. *Two Thumbs Up* :)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. I'd definitely recommend giving the DSL embedded version a quick test drive whilst still in Windows, just to get a feel for things.

If you want access to a shell prompt once it's booted, you want the XTerminal icon on the DSL desktop.

Tom Chapman
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it a try but forgot a screenshot I quite suit me but I've ordered a set of Ubuntu disks in the mail so about 4 weeks for them,

Cya ya all Later!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Computer-Pro
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymoose wrote:
Welcome. I'd definitely recommend giving the DSL embedded version a quick test drive whilst still in Windows, just to get a feel for things.

If you want access to a shell prompt once it's booted, you want the XTerminal icon on the DSL desktop.

I am downlaoding them now. I just have to try them out when done downloading. I'm also downloading Chubby Puppy Linux. Thanks again.

MrWiseOne wrote:

I gave it a try but forgot a screenshot I quite suit me but I've ordered a set of Ubuntu disks in the mail so about 4 weeks for them,

Cya ya all Later!

So you like it? Then I most likely will love it aswell.
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computer-Pro wrote:
Anonymoose wrote:

I am downlaoding them now. I just have to try them out when done downloading. I'm also downloading Chubby Puppy Linux. Thanks again.

MrWiseOne wrote:

Cya ya all Later!

So you like it? Then I most likely will love it aswell.

I've installed Ubuntu before, I personally am a fan of it!
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 5 Ubuntu disks in the post a while back. When I got them Id forgotten Id even ordered them ;-)

I have to say, its not a bad OS when you come to use it. Little slow at running on Virtual PC.

I tried "Damn Small Linux" last night also. Its very fast at loading, even on VPC. I was quite pleased with it. It even picked up my internet connection no problems.
p3
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Inquisitor wrote:
I got 5 Ubuntu disks in the post a while back. When I got them Id forgotten Id even ordered them ;-)

I have to say, its not a bad OS when you come to use it. Little slow at running on Virtual PC.

I tried "Damn Small Linux" last night also. Its very fast at loading, even on VPC. I was quite pleased with it. It even picked up my internet connection no problems.

Wireless internet?
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but then I am going through VPC so its already configured in a way.
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you try the embedded version, you won't even need to run it through Virtual PC - it runs using QEmu instead. You may find it a little faster...

redlion
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running XandrOS 3.02 OCE on my surfing computer for 4 months now.

It just works ... right out of the box, so to speak. (well, I did have to obtain codecs for the media players so I can get embedded movie previews, that sort of thing ...) It's Debian based and conservatively updated, so you really have to be trying to break it.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: