Graphics Problem and Happy New year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
max_carpenter
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Graphics Problem and Happy New year Reply with quote

Hi everyone and Happy New year to 2006.

Was wondering if anyone can spot my problem with my monitor. My PC turned it self on this morning all working fine. I turned it of then about 30 mins later I turned it back on apart from the screen never came out of standby. I have tried plugging the monitor in to port two on my graphics card, turning it fully of and on which displays the No Signal message for 1 min then goes into standby again. I have checked the Graphics card for seating problem damage (none apparent) and the power plug into the VGU I have also checked all the wires. I also swapped screens and the 2nd screen does not work on my pc but my screen works on other pcs.

There is a connection as when you turn a screen on and the No Signal displays if you turn the pc on then screens go into standby then back out again and mine does go into standby as soon as you press the power button on my pc but never comes on again I tried leaving my pc on for 10 mins and everything. Someone please help me. I will try borowing a pci graphics card form work and trying (mine is GeForce 6800 Ultra PCI Lateast Drivers updated last night.

DHCD Computing
max@dhcd.co.uk
www.dhcd.co.uk
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Computer-Pro
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Did it stop working after you updated the drivers? Because You said it was upgraded last night. It takes a restart to apply the changes after upgrading. I have had this problem with two computers and the reason was a fried motherboard.

However I hadn't upgraded the graphic card drivers very recently so that wasn't the probem.

Hope my info helps!
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded my graphic drivers,shut the pc down for the nite turned it back onit was fine turned it off again and then wouldnt turn bk on. I borrowed a basic PCI Slot graphics From work today and that does the same so it does not seem to be the graphics card.

DHCD Computing
max@dhcd.co.uk
www.dhcd.co.uk
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
abyssisthebest
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the pc keep continually restarting?
you can tell by the cd rom drive(s)

if it does it sounds like the motherboard.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
max_carpenter
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internal speaker is making no noise wot so ever and no its not restarting the cd drives go after a few seconds then stop and it just stays like that alos my cpu fan when u hit restart or it auto restarts whenever the fan stops and for 1 second then starts again and its not doing that either

DHCD Computing
max@dhcd.co.uk
www.dhcd.co.uk
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the motherboard or cpu is dead. Im guessing MOBO because you would at least get a beep if it was the CPU.
max_carpenter
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shooty thing not even year old seems like i will be phoning overclockers up then in the morning. Typcial, Well at least I get to use my laptop on two screens now but not quite the same.

Thanks For your help

DHCD Computing
max@dhcd.co.uk
www.dhcd.co.uk
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the motherboard was dead, I'd expect the CPU fan to not be spinning and no response when you hit the power. The ATX power connector goes into the motherboard and the cable from the power button on the case goes to a jumper on the motherboard. If you press the button and the PC responds by switching on, I'd say the motherboard is not dead at all.

If the system is powering up but there is no beep at all from the internal speaker (assuming it was beeping once on startup before), I'd look at swapping out other critical components - CPU and memory - before deciding the board has a problem. In theory the BIOS should be able to beep to inform you that memory has failed but I have come across a lot of boards where this is not the case.

After switching the PC on, do you see any activity from the HD LEDs?

"Invent an idiot proof webserver and they'll invent a better idiot..."
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
max_carpenter
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i press the power button the power light comes on all fans spin up (cpu delayed 1 second as normal) the hdd light flashes grpahics card powerlight comes on, cd roms check and as for the beeping i did not have the internal speaker plugged in before hand but i did try it once and it just kinda went

beep beep beep beep constantly when there was no problem so i unplugged it but now does not beep at all

DHCD Computing
max@dhcd.co.uk
www.dhcd.co.uk
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, do you mean since unplugging the speaker and plugging it back in it doesn't beep anymore, or it is no longer beeping because it is unplugged?

The beep codes are the important part here - there are different beep codes for different errors which would prevent the board from completing a POST.

What is the motherboard make & model?

"Invent an idiot proof webserver and they'll invent a better idiot..."
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
max_carpenter
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I built my pc in July last year I never plugged the internal speaker in, then a couple of months down the line i decided to plug it in one day when i did on start up it contantly beeped for some unknown reason so i unplugged it again. Since this problem has occured with nothing on the screen I have plugged it back in but no sound now plays at all

DHCD Computing
max@dhcd.co.uk
www.dhcd.co.uk
Computer-Pro
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymoose wrote:
If the motherboard was dead, I'd expect the CPU fan to not be spinning and no response when you hit the power...

You are wrong, I had this exact problem. And it was the motherboard, heat fried the motherboard and it powered up no beep but no video or sound. I tried multiple monitors, Video cards and pci video cards. The problem was the mother board. I had the comp in a cabinet and the air did not circulate around the computer so the heat fried my motherboard.
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet it could still be the MOBO because my fried board did the same... and it WAS the CPU.
max_carpenter
-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still very hard to be overheated as I have good air I have fans on rgw Power Supply 1 on the CPU one on the front of the Case and Two on the back of the case. I also have Air con in with it keeping the room temp down. I will be phoninh ovebrclockers this morning

DHCD Computing
max@dhcd.co.uk
www.dhcd.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: