phpMyAdmin-Error

View previous topic :: View next topic  
keith-f
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: phpMyAdmin-Error Reply with quote

Hi, I have followed the tutorial to the letter, and there appears to be a slight quirk with the file I'm told to edit.

Step 3 is an instruction to edit the config.inc.php file..... It doesn't exit! There is a config.default.php with a line of code the same, but alas, all I get is this Red Banner error whe I try to run phpMyAdmin in the browser.

phpMyAdmin-Error
Cannot load mysql extension. Please check your PHP configuration. - Documentation

The documentation says "To connect to a MySQL server, PHP needs a set of MySQL functions called "MySQL extension". This extension may be part of the PHP distribution (compiled-in), otherwise it needs to be loaded dynamically.

Its name is probably mysql.so or php_mysql.dll. phpMyAdmin tried to load the extension but failed.

Usually, the problem is solved by installing a software package called "PHP-MySQL" or something similar.

Mmm ! yes, very clever Mr. Smart@rse...... 'And'?

I'm running a Server2003 platform on a 64bit Xion, Abyss X2, and the 2.7 version of phpMyAdmin...

Help...please anyone!,
I'm beginning to feel like a frustrated rabbit about to devour the offspring.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please search the forum for the mysql extension error. This has been discussed lots of times previously.

www.aprelium.com/forum/search.php
MonkeyNation
-

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the exception of the 100 other threads littering the forum with this problem, there is no answer.
> Open php.ini in C:\WINDOWS or your php installation directory. (If it doesn't exist, rename php.ini-recommended.)
> If the ext or extension directory doesn't exist in your php installation directory, create it.
> If there's no php_mysql.dll in ext or extensions (Depending which one you like best.), download the PECL extension package off php.net and unzip it to that folder.
> Open php.ini and uncomment extension=php_mysql.dll.
> Make sure extension_dir is set to the directory where the dll was placed.

If that's too brief, just search for the error phpmyadmin gave, there are plenty of threads exactly the same.

The Inquisitor -> You posted while I was typing. Not letting my typing go to waste.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonkeyNation: No problem.

Another alternative is to download the preconfigured PHP5 package from aprelium. http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/php5win.html

This has all needed extensions enabled, including mysql.
keith-f
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is'nt a "php_mysql.dll" on my server at all. Needless to say the browser returns an Error 504 'Gateway timed out'

Where is my php_mysql.dll gone ?

Has it been nicked?

Do PHP newbies have to pass some sort of a test to get one?

Oh nearly forgot... After nearly three years on this forum 'I've found the 'SEARCH' link! Wow.. must be first.....
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said above, download the preconfigured PHP5 package and it will work straight off. Remember to use php-cgi.php, not php.exe for this package.
MonkeyNation
-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith-f wrote:
There is'nt a "php_mysql.dll" on my server at all. Needless to say the browser returns an Error 504 'Gateway timed out'

Where is my php_mysql.dll gone ?

Has it been nicked?

Do PHP newbies have to pass some sort of a test to get one?

Oh nearly forgot... After nearly three years on this forum 'I've found the 'SEARCH' link! Wow.. must be first.....

In a way, there is a test, yeah. More of an intelligence test though.

Four posts up I wrote:
> If there's no php_mysql.dll in ext or extensions (Depending which one you like best.), download the PECL extension package off php.net and unzip it to that folder.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee! progress.... (Well nearly?)
My browser reports:

Welcome to phpMyAdmin 2.7.0-pl2

phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in config.inc.php ....

Which almost takes me back to a question in the beginning !

Where is my config.inc.php ? I don't have one on the server. I have a config.default.php in the phpMyAdmin Directory but looking at the opening statement leaves me a little dewildered.

<?php

/* !!! DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE, EDIT config.inc.php INSTEAD !!! */

/* $Id: config.default.php,v 2.20.2.1 2005/11/23 10:34:32 nijel Exp $ */
// vim: expandtab sw=4 ts=4 sts=4:
MonkeyNation
-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy the contents of config.default.php to a new config.inc.php, and edit it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMm.. ! Why didn't I think of that ! q8op

Well, it looks like it wants to connect to the database but now it's telling me that
Access denied for user 'user'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Now call me dopey, or even lazy but I have spent over an hour and a half trawling through hundreds of posts most with the same or similar error, but no one has the answer.

in my new Man-Made config.inc.php I can identify and change the user and localhost name, but I'm not sure what I should be changing it to.

Is there a file in the the mysql database bin I can interrogate?

One post mentions a re-install of mysql, bit of a drastic move..... or am I not just looking up the wrong tree, but in the wrong forest!
MonkeyNation
-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith-f wrote:
MMm.. ! Why didn't I think of that ! q8op

Well, it looks like it wants to connect to the database but now it's telling me that
Access denied for user 'user'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Now call me dopey, or even lazy but I have spent over an hour and a half trawling through hundreds of posts most with the same or similar error, but no one has the answer.

in my new Man-Made config.inc.php I can identify and change the user and localhost name, but I'm not sure what I should be changing it to.

Is there a file in the the mysql database bin I can interrogate?

One post mentions a re-install of mysql, bit of a drastic move..... or am I not just looking up the wrong tree, but in the wrong forest!

I'm assuming that your database server is completely untouched.
The default username is root, with no password.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to all that has contributed to helping me on my Quest.. At last the sweet sight of success. phpMyAdmin is now working, and I can now build my Db.

At the end of the day I had to enter 'password' as a password into my 'Man-Made' config.inc.php and 'Bingo' lit up better than the Christmas Tree!

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'password'; // MySQL password (only needed with 'config' auth_type)

I think one of the main and biggest problems has been that there is so many tutorials and help files out there that it becomes very confusing to anyone who wants or needs to get into Post Hypertext Preprocessor and Database Server Query Languages. I really feel that it is about time some learned individual compiled a precise editorial which would quell this mystic which surrounds the entire MySQL arena. (I can sense a paper coming out of this!)

A classical example of what is meant is in a few days back being confronted with an instruction to edit a line of code in file which was supposed to called the config.inc.php but was called config.default.php to where the first line of code says ‘
/* !!! DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE, EDIT config.inc.php INSTEAD !!! */

Doesn’t really conduce to rational thought or logical thinking patterns which usually accompanies Information Technology in general.

Then gratefully accepting the advice to copy rename and edit the config.default.php to config.inc.php……

It could well be understood if MySQL was in beta development.

With those few but chosen words, I will if I may, sign off.

Very Best Wishes to all in this August Assembly, and A Very Happy New Year to All.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> PHP All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: