Error hits? Also: wanna recommend a log file analysis tool?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
meijin
-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 5:51 am    Post subject: Error hits? Also: wanna recommend a log file analysis tool? Reply with quote

OH...MY....GOD!!

OK...I have to say this...

I have a Win2K box (AMD K6-2 400 MHz, 256 megs of RAM, SP3) that had been using Xitami. Xitami kept crashing at wierd times and no cause could be identified. Plus, no one is really supporting it anymore. I was very unhappy.

Tonight I downloaded Abyss and in about 15 minutes, I had it installed. In addition, I set it up to support PHP and Perl. I rebooted and was immediately able to get to my site and also to the phpBB forum I already had set up. Absolutely amazing...

I have two quick questions if I may...

#1. I notice on the Server Statistics page of the console that there is an entry for ERROR HITS and it is slowly increasing. I am not sure what this is and if I should be worried about it. Can anyone enlighten me?

#2. I would like to get a good (prefer free) web log analysis tool that will work with Abyss. Can anyone recommend one? Also...what is the format of the log files that Abyss creates?

To the Abyss team members that read this...great job guys! I could not be happier with the product so far!

Mike
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Error hits? Also: wanna recommend a log file analysis to Reply with quote

Thank you for you testimonial :D
meijin wrote:

#1. I notice on the Server Statistics page of the console that there is an entry for ERROR HITS and it is slowly increasing. I am not sure what this is and if I should be worried about it. Can anyone enlighten me?

This is the number of requests that generated an error. In clear words, this encloses all the '404 errors' for example. You can have more information on any this topic by clicking the small ? button in front of the "Error Hits" text in the console (it links to the relevant part of the documentation.)
meijin wrote:

#2. I would like to get a good (prefer free) web log analysis tool that will work with Abyss. Can anyone recommend one? Also...what is the format of the log files that Abyss creates?

Abyss Web Server log is the standard Common Log Format. It can also produce an Extended Log Format by activated the Extended Log in the Server Parameters section in the Console. With these two formats, you can use any log analyzing tool as these two are the standards.
For a tutorial on installing a free log analyzer, please read http://www.aprelium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=422 .

meijin wrote:

To the Abyss team members that read this...great job guys! I could not be happier with the product so far!

Great to read that. I'll forward it to all the people in Aprelium Technologies.
DLashley
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: TRY WEBLOG EXPERT LITE (FREEWARE)!!! Reply with quote

go to http://www.weblogexpert.com

I just got a GREAT freeware log analyzer from there! Got it installed, and had it generate a good-looking, easy-to-read log for me in about one second!

The FULL version is even better, but you have to pay for it. :wink:
-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheak out analog its nice i like it.. it has DNS look up and everything and nice little graphs :D

oops :D i supose you want a URL....
http://www.analog.cx/ :D

if you set your webserver for the extended format logs it gives you tons of info....

increasing error hits are normal... bots searching around on your server can cause them... some look for robot.txt file on my server.. dono its weird cheak out analog it will help ya. and its free :D
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: