Help me make Abyss completely automated!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
world-wide-hosting.us
-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Help me make Abyss completely automated! Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed that automation with Abyss is rather... Non-existant?
Well, I decided to do something about it. Now I need the help of the "Old Timers" (Sorry) that I've seen running around this board, answering all kinds of questions for people.
Answer me one.
I wrote, and talked to the Aprelium staff, and the people I knew could do something, and had a long talk with Moez, about it, and decided to write to the Zee-Way guys after finding out they were supposed to do a version of ZPanel for Abyss, and it kinda slipped away.
So, Zee-Way said yes, and Aprelium said yes, and here comes the problem.
Now I need a team of programmers familiar enough with Abyss and ZPanel to "port" ZPanel over to Abyss. Moez seems to believe that there are people here who might want to try to redesign ZPanel for Abyss.
What do you get out of it? Well, for one thing you get a CP for abyss that would automate the process of running a great server... and you'd get it at a great price. You would also be helping to move Abyss forward.
I was supposed to get a call from Kris Anderson, who is the Chief of Operations for Zee-Way Services, however, Mr. Anderson hasn't deemed the call as important, as I was hoping he would, so I'm going to get started anyway. Mr. Anderson will just have to catch up to the rest of us. I can do this, since I have in writing, him saying yes.
So, I want volunteers! Anyone willing to do some programming for the greater good of Abyss needs to get a hold of me. Answer here, or e-mail me. projects@world-wide-hosting.us. I will be posting this to the ZPanel boards later on today.
Waiting to hear.
-Steve.
--UPDATE--
Zee-Way has changed their License. They went from the "Don't touch my Code" version to the Open Source Artistic License.
The License Agreement can be found here:
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/artistic-license.php
They are also brining out the next generation ZPanel. 2.5 was supposed to offer automation, but, didn't. the Next release (3.0, I think) is a totally rebuild CP. They're offering two types of CP, one being ASP (for Windows) and the other being PHP, (for Windows anf Linux.) It will have complete automation, and support for specific E-Mail, and FTP servers. I didn't like the idea of switching my (all ready paid for) e-mail server, but, a control Panel with thats capable of it would be good.
Now, I would like to redesign the PHP version, for a number of reasons, I shouldn't have to explain, not to mention it should be easier to make work with Abyss. According to the License agreement, you can not sell the CP once you've made it, but, you can include it with the paid version of Abyss, which is really the only option, since you need to be able to control Virtual Directories.
So, now I'm just waiting to hear from TrustPunk, to see if he's interested, and I'm hoping a few more people will trip and fall into this project. The more people working on it, the less time it will take to release. I'm going to talk agian, with Kris Anderson about getting a pre-release of the new ZPanel, but, I don't see why we can't get a jump on the current version.
Any comments?
-Steve.
Working on the Abyss Control Panel. Anyone who would like to help us with PHP XML, Documentation, Graphics, JavaScript, or if you have ideas for the CP, Everyone counts! Go to: http://www.abyssunderground.co.uk/cpforum/ and register.

Last edited by world-wide-hosting.us on Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:37 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MonkeyNation
-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, I'm sure there are a lot of people here who will help.
I'm not the best programmer going however, about the best thing I've done is a modified promisance game and some forums, but I'd help if it was needed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will help in any way I can :-)
world-wide-hosting.us
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Well, it's about time! Reply with quote

Geeze, Inquisitor.
I thought for a while there you had foresaken me. LOL!
I know you don't remember me, but, years ago, you helped me put Abyss on my fresh Win XP. (In 2001). But, *I* remember *you*!
Read the post again. I updated it.
-Steve.
Working on the Abyss Control Panel. Anyone who would like to help us with PHP XML, Documentation, Graphics, JavaScript, or if you have ideas for the CP, Everyone counts! Go to: http://www.abyssunderground.co.uk/cpforum/ and register.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about MySQL yet but I can probably help out in this project.
What type of things do you have in mind ? I want to remove the htaccess stuff
in Zpanel v2.5 , I can probably easily do this if its Open Source.

Edit: After I finish ::File Limit:: v2 , I will learn XML just for the sake of this
project. The only way you could make this work is to learn XML with PHP. :-)

Sincerely , TRUSTpunk

Last edited by TRUSTAbyss on Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MonkeyNation
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRUSTpunk wrote:
I don't know much about MySQL yet but I can probably help out in this project.
What type of things do you have in mind ? I want to remove the htaccess stuff

Note: You can easily create a Controle Panel for Abyss Web Server if you know
how to edit XML files , thats when you need an XML parser , PHP has one built
in and im willing to try and learn XML with PHP in order to help in this. :-)

Sincerely , TRUSTpunk

XML functions are rediculously easy tbh. The problem you'll have is needing to restart the server persistantly.
I'll help where I have time, but I don't have that much; I'm usually looking at 3 screens as it is anyhow.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Well, it's about time! Reply with quote

world-wide-hosting.us wrote:
Geeze, Inquisitor.
I thought for a while there you had foresaken me. LOL!
I know you don't remember me, but, years ago, you helped me put Abyss on my fresh Win XP. (In 2001). But, *I* remember *you*!
Read the post again. I updated it.
-Steve.

2001! Gosh that is a long way back. I dont even know if abyss exisited then :-s
world-wide-hosting.us
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRUSTpunk wrote:

What type of things do you have in mind ?
I want to remove the htaccess stuff

Well, hold on to your seat. It *is* OPen source! But, you know what... Instead of just removing the htaccess from the script, why not create our own? Call it Abaccess, or something. Something that will allow the same fuction?
I want a nice simple port to abyss. Actually, I want to start it, until I can get a hold of the new Z-Panel, which has a lot of new features, but, is made for Apache. I don't think it would be too much of a problem to rework a 90% complete CP to one that will work with Abyss. I need to know if you guys are ready to go. I need to get the technical specs on Abyss, and get this project rolling.
Just let me know if you guys are ready to dig in.
TRUSTpunk wrote:
Edit: After I finish ::File Limit:: v2 , I will learn XML just for the sake of this
project. The only way you could make this work is to learn XML with PHP. :-)

Are you prepaired to start this? Not to the point of dropping everything and diving in blind, but, can you start to look around the program?

-Steve.
world-wide-hosting.us
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, it's about time! Reply with quote

The Inquisitor wrote:

2001! Gosh that is a long way back. I dont even know if abyss exisited then :-s

I think it was a 2. something, or it may have been a 1. something, or I could be off with the date, but, I *know* it was a "Help me, I am the ONLY one running this company, and I need some help before I go completely insane!!!!!!!!!!!! software product. (Looks at camera, knowing Moez is out there somewhere laughing is head off).
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I looked at some XML examples last night , it didn't look too easy to
code , I will try my best to learn XML with PHP so that we can edit the config
file , like MonkeyNation said though , restarting the server constantly. :/

Aprelium may need to also do something in this project , like adding the
configuration without restarting the server , this would make it easier. :-)

Sincerely , TRUSTpunk
world-wide-hosting.us
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRUSTpunk wrote:
Aprelium may need to also do something in this project , like adding the configuration without restarting the server , this would make it easier. :-)

I'll talk to Moez, and see what he thinks. Otherwise, we rip open Abyss, and make it a server with E-Mail, and FTP capabilities, and a control panel built in that only takes a user 4 days to set up, and 4 weeks to customize.
Ah.... Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
(j/k)
-Steve.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, hold on to your seat. It *is* OPen source!

It's not a GPL open source project. Although the source code is available, Zee-Way does not allow people to modify it. See the ZPanel license below:

Quote:

YOU MUST READ AND COMPLY WITH ALL OF THESE REGULATIONS BEFORE USING ZPANEL.

These regulations are subject to change and will be posted on TheZPanel.com for review by all hosts.

I. Developing and Sharing

1. ZPanel is in no way a GNU open-source project. The source code contained in the ZPanel files are not to be altered and redistributed without written permission from ZPanel staff.

2. Themes or templates may be developed and shared freely as long as the ZPanel copyright is maintained within clear sight on every page.

3. Modules that expand on the capabilities of ZPanel may be developed and shared freely.

II. Usage

1. The ZPanel software is not to be used on a hosting server that doesn't belong to hoster that's using this software. This is strictly prohibited and will cause in immediate termination of this license.

2. If Zee-Way Services, the creators of ZPanel, feel that the hoster is using this script in any way that it wasn't designed for they may terminate this license without warning.

III. Download

1. If the download of the ZPanel software being installed, or is currently installed, was not downloaded directly from TheZPanel.com it should be removed immediately and a new version should be downloaded from TheZPanel.com.

IV. Script Ripping

1. Not at any time should the hoster take parts of the ZPanel code for use in other projects. All source code is copyrighted and legal action will be taken.

VIOLATION OF THESE SIMPLE REGULATIONS WILL CAUSE TERMINATION OF THIS LICENSE. BY CONTINUEING THE INSTALL, YOU (THE HOSTER) HEREBY AGREE TO THE GUIDE LINES STATED

So it's better to check with them first and ask for a written permission to work on such a project.
world-wide-hosting.us
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aprelium wrote:

It's not a GPL open source project. Although the source code is available, Zee-Way does not allow people to modify it. See the ZPanel license below:

So it's better to check with them first and ask for a written permission to work on such a project.

Hi, guys. Nice of you to join our little Pow-Wow.
Ok. Let me try this again. The current Licsense in the ZPanel package no longer excists as their License. They have moved to using the Artistic Licesne I Linked to above. I have verbal permission at the moment, they're sending me written permission in a couple days, And if you read through the Artistic License that I linked to above, it states that you may not sell the software. However, according to Kris Anderson, who is the Cheif of Operations for Zee-Way, you can bundle the CP in with a commercially release package, and sell the package, with the CP in it.
Here, I coppied this out of my e-mail. Maybe this will set your minds at a little bit of ease.
"Steve,
ZPanel's new version is going to bypass it's previous versions, and maybe
even CPanel. We'd be glad to supervise another distribution of ZPanel aimed towards Abyss. The new version of ZPanel is geared towards Apache and we also have another distribution in ASP geared towards Apache."
Ok, so I would still like to start on this with the current version of ZPanel, and then work on the New one when it comes out.
If you have anymore questions about the project, please ask. I will do my best to answer them, and if I cannot, I will find the answer for you.
-Steve.
world-wide-hosting.us
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Look what have *I* have found: Reply with quote

So I have been talking to programmers, as one would when running a project such as this, and I have found some interesting things.
The ZP, when the new one is released, is integrated with mail server software, and an FTP server software, (Don't remember which ones, but I aim to find out), this means in the blueprint of automation, and once programmed fro Abyss, you (By you I'm talking in a general sense) will install Abyss, and have a control panel, you will also be able to set up your e-mail servers by clicking, filling in some info, and boom. Done. You will also be able to set up your FTP servers in just a couple of clicks, and some text. Zee-Way is also integrating BIND. So in a matter of minutes, you will be able to have a total server package set up on your PC.
Now, let's talk host selling. Not reselling, mind you, but, if *you* want to sell space on *your* server. What do you need?
Well, you need a system that will allow you to sell domain names. (I found that Yesterday) I have a friend who has a program that looks up the domain, registers it, and, and will sell the hosting for it, if programmed. The program its self is reasonably new, He's planning to CSS it, and I'm working on getting him to create an Installer.
Once that happens were talking about putting it into the ZP, by way of pre-installed script.
I met a programmer who is working on an integrated Billing system, once he finishes that, I want to put it in the pre-installed scripts, also.
So, your clients can register their domain name with you, set up their hosting account through the ZP, and be billed re-accurringly, Automaticly. (And then they can do the same thing, without the actual reselling, if you restrict that from happening). This will allow you, the web / hostmaster to focus on your site).
I'm just kinda thinking out loud. I would appriciate comments.
-Steve.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this is complete it will be an excellent piece of software/coding. For reselling etc, it would be 110% perfect for me. Im using manual updating for everything at the moment and automation will seriously ease the work load.
world-wide-hosting.us
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Inquisitor wrote:
When this is complete it will be an excellent piece of software/coding. For reselling etc, it would be 110% perfect for me. Im using manual updating for everything at the moment and automation will seriously ease the work load.

Yep, Me too. I was talking to the programmer for that script, though, and we thought about writing a program that would extract the "First name" "Last Name" and "Phone Number" from the sign up form, and e-mail it to the hostmaster, (Or set up a pop up for the Hostmaster with a list of that info) so that the hostmaster could call and verify by voice, the information given. The point to this, is to keep the hackers away.
world-wide-hosting.us
-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Hey, I have a question. Reply with quote

What does the little green flashing triangle mean on the Abyss server Logo?
My visitors are telling me they can't see the site, so I'm troubleshooting today.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green triangle (or arrow) is to tell you traffic is passing from the server through an IP (possibly localhost or your LAN IP).
world-wide-hosting.us
-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Ummm, ok... Can you be a bit more specific? My head is all coudy today, and I am not fuctioning well. Is that like, if it's not flashing, start troubleshooting?
-Steve.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only flashes when someone has accessed the server in the last 5 seconds.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just sent a mass email to all my forum members (about 50 of them) asking them for help with this project. Hopefully we will get a large response.
p3
-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I don't know much, I'm willing to use whatever I do know about PHP, etc. to help in any way I can!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Worm-Nut
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know some PHP, not much, but I'll try to help.
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Hello, All. Reply with quote

You know, I have been getting a pretty good number of people here. Diverse programmers too. Over on thier board, no one replied at all. (Makes you wonder, doesn't it?) Anyway, I'm glad everyone wants to help out.
The beginning of this is relatively simple. If you want to lend a hand, go to http://www.thezpanel.com and download the latest release of the ZPanel program.
Once you have it, look into it. The object to this little project is to take the CP, and track down the areas the program that references Apache, and make those work for the Abyss system. When I am in my office, I have my IM's up. Anyone who wants to help us out here, is able to IM me, almost anytime. When you have looked through the CP (Control Panel), and have the feel of it, IM me, and let me know. Also, I would love to hear from you guys, even if it's just to say hi.
-Steve.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Ive just created a dedicated forum for everything about the abyss control panel. The URL is:

http://www.abyssunderground.co.uk/cpforum/

I hope this forum will make discussions easier.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are currently 8 members in the forum. We will soon be designing a website and we will have a domain for it so you can keep track of its developments and possibly download BETAs as it is developed.

More information will follow when we have it!
world-wide-hosting.us
-

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Inquisitor wrote:
We will soon be designing a website and we will have a domain for it so you can keep track of its developments and possibly download BETAs as it is developed.

More information will follow when we have it!

The domain name registered for the site is www.abysspanel.com Though the site isn't up yet, when it is up, that will be where it is.
I'm moving the discussions here to the forum addresses in Inquisitor's post above. That way, we can have a small, organized place on the Net, to get this started, without having to direct people to the Abyss Site, or the ZPanel site.
Please Register on the new board.
-Steve.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need more support for the control panel. So far we have 12 members on the forum but this just isnt enough!

The more people we get the better and faster we can make the control panel.

Just a suggestion to aprelium, maybe you can make a link to the website/forum on this website to it makes it easier for members to spot.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Inquisitor wrote:
We need more support for the control panel. So far we have 12 members on the forum but this just isnt enough!

Just a suggestion to aprelium, maybe you can make a link to the website/forum on this website to it makes it easier for members to spot.

Post an announce in this forum and we'll make it sticky.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aprelium wrote:
The Inquisitor wrote:

Post an announce in this forum and we'll make it sticky.

I cant make an announcement...
olly86
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think Aprelium means to post a normal topic, and they will change it's states to sticky.
-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Ill do that.
world-wide-hosting.us
-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Inquisitor wrote:

LOL.
Step 1: Open mouth.
Step 2: Insert foot.
Step 3: Chew.
Then, Repeat Step 4.
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Inquisitor wrote:

LOL.
Step 1: Open mouth.
Step 2: Insert foot.
Step 3: Chew.
Then, Repeat Step 4.

There is no step 4:P lol
world-wide-hosting.us
-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Inquisitor wrote:
There is no step 4:P lol

Good. Your paying attention!
:P
-Steve.
easytec
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, but wasn't ZPanel reported for so many errors and voted as the worst?
Don't you get any errors.
MAYBE Aprelium could make a compatible hosting panel? Or some other third party?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
AbyssUnderground
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easytec wrote:
MAYBE Aprelium could make a compatible hosting panel? Or some other third party?

This will be done in V3 as far as we have been told.
easytec
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbyssUnderground wrote:
easytec wrote:

This will be done in V3 as far as we have been told.

What will be done?
Telling off ZPanel or embedding a hosting panel into V3?
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aprelium, plans to release a full control panel for Abyss Web Server version 3 from what I heard.
Sophia
-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or have the guys from Rapidcp and zpanel gotten together to come up with something that will rival cpanel?
TRUSTAbyss
-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this topic should be removed because the user is no longer active. Maybe remove the sticky and keep AbyssPanel topic instead?
anybody
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. This thread should be removed.

I really hate it when people blow smoke and you can see it all through this thread.
gomez687
-

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the best programmer going however, about the best thing I've done is a modified promisance game and some forums, but I'd help if it was needed.
gomez687
-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are currently 8 associates in the community. We will soon be developing a web page and we will have a sector for it so you can keep a record of its improvements and probably obtain BETAs as it is designed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: