autorun folders

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amie
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: autorun folders Reply with quote

hi all,
im looking for a script or software or anything that will let me allow visiters to download an interactive magazine (web pages and files in a folder) but give it a menu like an auto run cd so when they click on the folder instead of displaying a load of files it shows a professinal looking menu i cant find this or anything similar anywhere and am trying here as a last resort as your all very clever im hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

many thanks
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
MonkeyNation
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: autorun folders Reply with quote

Amie wrote:
hi all,
im looking for a script or software or anything that will let me allow visiters to download an interactive magazine (web pages and files in a folder) but give it a menu like an auto run cd so when they click on the folder instead of displaying a load of files it shows a professinal looking menu i cant find this or anything similar anywhere and am trying here as a last resort as your all very clever im hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

many thanks

What does it do when you autorun?
I disabled it a long time ago and cant remember.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you click on the folder instead of it displaying all the files i want it to open a menu like when a menu pops up when you put a cd in the draw but obviously not a standad autorun which is written on the cd but a nice looking interface that pops up instead of just of list so it is easy to navagate through the files

if you understand that im finding hard to explain

sorry guys
MonkeyNation
-

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amie wrote:
when you click on the folder instead of it displaying all the files i want it to open a menu like when a menu pops up when you put a cd in the draw but obviously not a standad autorun which is written on the cd but a nice looking interface that pops up instead of just of list so it is easy to navagate through the files

if you understand that im finding hard to explain

sorry guys

Dont suppose I could get a screenshot?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All they mean is the standard menu that pops up when you throw in a CD - either when autorun kicks in or you manually run that menu... The usual shiny picture with "Install / Play / About" if it's a game CD etc.

You don't need a webserver to achieve this, you just need a well written website (or magazine, or whatever you want to call it) - if you try and use a webserver you will have 3 different platforms (at least) to cope with, Windows, Linux and Mac. You'd then have to consider configuration, running without properly installing, trying to run if the viewer isn't root/administrator. That's totally overcomplicating things.

Just design a site that is intended to run in a small frame with no scroll bars etc and have it open using the users default browser when they load the index page of the magazine.

"Invent an idiot proof webserver and they'll invent a better idiot..."
Amie
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes thats exactly what i need web pages to run offline but is there a way to link directly to the index and not show all the pages and files and images that will need to go in the folder so it looks more proffesinal
richardyork
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how I create an autorun CD for use with a HTML website. You need a freeware program called ShellRun.exe

Here is how it should be set up after burning to CD:

Here is the example above in .zip format: (The CD folder represents the CD after burning)
Download Example (Right Click -> Save Target As...)

Here is what the autorun.inf should look like: (Also see example in .zip file)
Code:
[autorun]
open=ShellRun.exe index.htm Starting CD now...

I hope this has helped!! :-)
--------------------------------
P.S.
There is also a retail version with a few more features!

ShellRun Freeware Loader:

ShellRun Retail Loader:

Last edited by richardyork on Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Amie
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
but is there a way i can do this without a cd so i can have the folder downloaded instead of having to make a cd for all my members
ive not found one so im not sure if it exists and my programing knowlage isnt good enough
richardyork
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure, but I will keep a look out for you ;-)

Thanks
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks ive looked too cant find anything but ill keep trying and if i do come across nything ill post it might be useful to some one else
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: