Golowe's Collector Stamps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
golowenow
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Golowe's Collector Stamps Reply with quote

http://www.golowesstamps.com
Abyss 2 rocks!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Arctic
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice site, a little bit ugly in FF in some areas for me though.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
golowenow
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: In regards to "ugly" site on Firefox Reply with quote

This website is TOTALLY W3C approved for ALL browsers. Apparently you are missing the CORE FONTS to be able to display it correctly in Firefox. Follow this link to learn about them.
http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/
Hope it helps!
Arctic
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... maybe you've been tricked.

XHTML 1.0 Transitional is nice to have, but that doesn't stop useless applets from annoying the hell out of me, I don't believe w3 works perfectly hand in hand with Javascript.

http://arctic.trielite.net/har.jpg
Example.
golowenow
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: I understand Reply with quote

Wrote this before looking at the example. Please read the second reply I wrote under this. Sorry hehe...always in a hurry.

Yes I have a few Java based applets for convenience to collectors. A site search applet, a drop down menu listing and connecting to all the different country pages ummm also pop-up page applet to view items in a different window so you don't have to keep going "back" I basically use all forms of code on the site. Java, Shockwave, php, xhtml ect;. The site IS based on IE settings but I try to make it accessable to all. I guess the problems you are having viewing the site correctly is why I never really have had an interest in Mozilla and such. 90% of users use IE. Yes there are flaws and vulnerabilities but it has since been proven that FF and others are vulnerable also. Hackers and such just have not exploited them as much because they like to go for the BIG FISH if you know what I mean. In comparison with that in mind...the flaws and vulnerabilities discovered in RATIO are about the same for both systems. I have run IE since it's creation and have never had problems. Of course I run a good firewall, antivirus AND several anti-spyware programs also. I really don't hehe know viruses and such because of this. And have no fear browsing the web.
Anyway..am sorry to all mozilla fans if the site does not come up to the liking but I (and I am reading this from my counter system) see 36 hits from IE based systems....3 hits from FF based....in the last 2 days. Wish I could make it totally compatible which by using W3C standards...it SHOULD BE. You can check any page using the W3C link at the bottom to see if they are. Nothing more us "webmasters" can do for it. Firefox will have to comply or it is a sinking ship.

Last edited by golowenow on Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
golowenow
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Looked at the example Reply with quote

Appears that the FF system is not reading DIVISION commands correctly. All the items in the circles are being placed wrong. the applets and links look fine. But your system appears to not understand pixels hehe. The problem viewing the sight is NOT because of the java code. It is the HTML code that it is not displaying correctly. It is squishing things up. Please look at the source to see. All division commands are set perfectly and checked. The applet and the JPG file and the advertisement should not be overlapping.
Arctic
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IE is the sinking ship here. Let's look at Opera for instance. It loads improperly in Opera too.

Now, let's think. Firefox and Opera, both very current, don't display your site correctly. Now, I'm not genious, but I'd say that having your website compatible with all browsers is definately key.

Let's look at the NEW statistics.

2005 IE 6 IE 5 O 7 Ffox Moz O 8 NN 7
July 67.0% 6.7% 0.4% 19.7% 2.6% 0.8% 0.5%

What's this? IE is 67%. Not only that, but a new IE is subject to coming out, which will probably display websites like the newer, better browsers.

Sinking ship is what I'd say for IE. People who use it are typically too lazy to search for another browser.

Besides, just because something is w3 complient doesn't mean it will display correctly. It means a browser can read and display the code across the board. It doesn't mean that users will be like OMFG WTF in the end.

Cross-browser compatibility is a key part of being a good webmaster.
p3
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sinking ship is what I'd say for IE. People who use it are typically too lazy to search for another browser.

Or they just use it because you can't completley remove it from Windows, and always resets itself as default browser.

I finally got tired of it, and switched to Firefox. It actually displays the page how the code is written!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
golowenow
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Think I found the problem Reply with quote

Been doing a little research on the web. I believe that the problem is my divisions. I was lax on exact height thus FF is squishing them up. I am going to change them some and see if it effects FF. Would you be kind enough to assist as I do not have FF.
Arctic
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be more than happy to help :-)
golowenow
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Thankyou! Reply with quote

I have always tried to make compatibility an issue. Am presently adding a couple more divisions on the homepage. I believe that is the problem. Seems like everything else is showing fine. Give me about 10 minutes to change measurements then try looking at it again please. Please make another picture of the effect. That is how I saw what was wrong. Thanks!
golowenow
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Website corrected I hope. Reply with quote

Waiting for reply...looks good to me.
Arctic
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need an easy to use program for your website that does it all? GREAT support!

That part overlaps a bit, other than that, it's all good, I'll post a SS later :-)
k1ll3rdr4g0n
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p3 wrote:
Quote:

Or they just use it because you can't completley remove it from Windows, and always resets itself as default browser.

I finally got tired of it, and switched to Firefox. It actually displays the page how the code is written!

Ahh, youv'e been lied to I believe in windows xp you can finally remove it. (Or was it windows xp pro). Just goto add/remove compents. But, I wouldn't reccommed it because just in case firefox decides it doesn't want to work (for example a virus) you always have a plan B.

Or so I've been told...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Couple minor ajustments Reply with quote

OK! lowered the said statement and put a break between it and logo. Think the alignment issues are solved thus showing me that the site IS compatible. Have one more question...does the search site applet work for you in FF? Thank you VERY much for the help on this Arctic. Believe I will have to make adjustments on several other pages also. Mainly the sales homepage. I see that firefox takes divisions very directly hehe. You cannot bunch up a lot of stuff under one division.
p3
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k1ll3rdr4g0n wrote:
p3 wrote:
Quote:

Ahh, youv'e been lied to I believe in windows xp you can finally remove it. (Or was it windows xp pro). Just goto add/remove compents. But, I wouldn't reccommed it because just in case firefox decides it doesn't want to work (for example a virus) you always have a plan B.

XP Home won't let you remove the install files, and IE sometimes deicided to re-install itself.

Or so I've been told...

I once tried to uninstall IE.
It told me all files were removed... After I rebooted, IE was back!!!!!!

I contacted Microsoft and they said that IE leaves behind its install files, and sometimes reinstalls itself. That was right after I got my PC 4 or so years ago... Not sure about more secure of IE that comes with SP2

EDIT: Arctic, all I did was type a little edit tidbit and clicked submit, and now all the text that I wrote has shown up! (It was in the edit box.... Just not on the page!)

Last edited by p3 on Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
Arctic
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search applet does work. If you get PHP, get PHPdig, I use it on my site and it's like Google's dumber brother. :-)

p3: Nice work, quoting nothingness there.
p3
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arctic wrote:
Search applet does work. If you get PHP, get PHPdig, I use it on my site and it's like Google's dumber brother. :-)

p3: Nice work, quoting nothingness there.

Thank IE for that.

That was while I was still configuring Firefox how I wanted it.

Apparently, it didn't save what I typed.
golowenow
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Thank you Arctic and here are my links again! Reply with quote

Yes the homepage is a PHP page. I use an editor called HTML KIT. VERY versatile and it is free! MASSIVE plugins for it too. Thank you for your time on this Arctic. Now as I was the one that started this here thread hehe...here are the links to both websites that I run on ABYSS X2.

http://www.golowesstamps.com

http://www.wildercraft.com

The second one is my wifes site.
Enjoy the show!
Arctic
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, then if you have PHP I'd definatley reccomend getting phpdig. It spiders, it doesn't just look aimlessly through directories. :-)
golowenow
-

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the info Reply with quote

I will check it out.
briosky
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: not bad at all Reply with quote

i found it confusing in some ways:
- more order between the sections;
- the black background isn't used anymore: it tires the user' eyes;
- perhaps i would get rid of the a:hover' font size and weight change: it shakes the screen and my eyes begin to dance.
anyway good job and congr for the idea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Powered by Abyss All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: