Windows XP Home Edition - I cannot get my server to work

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jptablake
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:59 am    Post subject: Windows XP Home Edition - I cannot get my server to work Reply with quote

I have Windows XP HE. No one from the outside world can access my web server. No one. I have tried messing with the Integrated Firewall, enabling it, disabling it, tweaking it, etc. I've literally done everything I can think of to try and allow inbound HTTP connections to reach the server. Please, PLEASE... If anyone knows how to get this blasted XP to let me run a server, I would much appreciate it!! I was running Win98 and had no problems at all. Now this... Ahhhh!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
!Keys
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

read the FAQ :-)

i personally like personal help so here you go:

Disable firewall, restart, try again
check http://www.aprelium.com/ip/ if your ip address might have been changed.. you never know

if you have any kind of dial-in connection your ip changes every time you re-dial... so yu have to check your ip and tell it to the one who wants to visit your site every time you re-dial(long sentence :|)

hope this helps you
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: I've tried shutting down the firewall Reply with quote

I've tried shutting down the firewall. And I've tried going through all the Windows help documentation. Nothing works. Something is blocking outside access to the server, whether it be my ISP (not likely because when I was running Win98 I had no problems) or XP. I've tried many different ports, all of them don't work.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I've tried shutting down the firewall Reply with quote

jptablake wrote:
I've tried shutting down the firewall. And I've tried going through all the Windows help documentation. Nothing works. Something is blocking outside access to the server, whether it be my ISP (not likely because when I was running Win98 I had no problems) or XP. I've tried many different ports, all of them don't work.

The 2nd question in the FAQ summarizes most of cases and gives you solutions. But sometimes, this still doesn't work.
So to help you, can you tell us if you have the same configuration as the one you used to run with Win98? Do you use the same network ? Do you have a new router or have changed something else?
jptablake
-

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:16 pm    Post subject: Everything is the Same Reply with quote

I have the same ISP as before, my configuration file is identical (I copied it from the old computer running Win98), even the site itself is identical. I don't use a router, I'm directly connected to the internet with my one PC (the old one is not connected to the internet at this time). I've heard various comments about XP having an integrated firewall. When I disable it (or when I think I've disabled it) users are still not allowed in. The message they receieve on their end is, "Page cannot be displayed."
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Everything is the Same Reply with quote

jptablake wrote:
I have the same ISP as before, my configuration file is identical (I copied it from the old computer running Win98), even the site itself is identical. I don't use a router, I'm directly connected to the internet with my one PC (the old one is not connected to the internet at this time). I've heard various comments about XP having an integrated firewall. When I disable it (or when I think I've disabled it) users are still not allowed in. The message they receieve on their end is, "Page cannot be displayed."

It is obviously a Windows XP issue. Please read that document on Microsoft's web site about enabling/disabling ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/networking/icf.asp .
booboo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: boohoo Reply with quote

booboo with too many servers that don't work on his computer says see what shields up tells you. probe will tell you if your firewall is at fault. booboo boohoo, why won't this little # run php for me...

:arrow: http://grc.com/default.htm
Mnet:Web_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: 1 Word Reply with quote

Firewall....

Micrsoft Windows heXP comes with a built in firewall, you'll find that you have to enable http outgoing otherwise it will not work..
anonymous reader

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have disabled the firewall properly then consider two things:

your adress is NOT 127.0.0.1 that is only an adress that point to yourself
your computer have to be power ON to admit others to see your site
you must also have a site .....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: