Linksys router, DynDNS, and web server not working together

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trethacker
-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Linksys router, DynDNS, and web server not working together Reply with quote

ok.. i have read a bunch of "only visible on my computer" threads here and none of them that I have read pertain directly to my issue, so if this IS a duplicate thread and I missed it somehow, I do apologize.

My setup:

WinXP Pro (no firewalls turned on)
Linksys NR041 WIRED router
Port Forwarding 80 AND 8000 to my server because I am not sure if the reason behind my issue is ISP blocking or not.
DYNDNS Dynamic IP address due to A DHCP ISP (ADSL)
Abyss X1

I know that the router port forwarding works and the DYNDNS forwarding works because I also run an FTP server on the same domain and it works perfectly.

I have treid setting the server to port 80 and also to port 8000 and neither will return a webpage for remote computers...

Locally, I can access my server with 127.0.0.1 and networked computers can access it with 192.168.x.x. Both show the web page just fine.

My router has the feature to disable incomming WAN requests... I have this turned off so that is not the issue.

Each time someone outside my network attempts to access the web server via my REAL IP OR the dyndns name they get a yahoo or msn search engine or a 'page cannot be displayed' error.

I am out of normal options that I can think of to try and get this working.

If anyone has knowledge of how to fix this issue... PLEASE post me some help...

Thank you for all time and effort in this matter in advance.

Tre
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
HIWD
-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe your ISP blocks those ports, try using something else.

Regards,
HIWD.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cagozoe
-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: I had that problem as well Reply with quote

do you use a modem? for the dsl?

if so

i had that same problem and can help.

let me know what type of setup you have.

also how many computers are you running off the router?
db-ie
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadly im in the same issue, i used to be on road runner and have no issues at all. now im on charter and ive been lead to believe they block port 80/8080 nothing really seems to work. port forwarding etc. i tried using a url redirector at a uncommon port people say it works but .. with popups i just wanna stick to something that works with out using the :xxxx after ip.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
cagozoe
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: what are you running now Reply with quote

tell me what you are running now. what type of website do you want to setup?
jlp09550
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you disabled/unchecked this: Filter Internet NAT Redirection

Here is a preview on my WRT54G Linksys Router:

Back to top View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trethacker
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have that style of router... I have an NR041. It does not have an option for that filter and if it did, the service would not have worked before either...

I have changed nothing on this server except the port forwarding on the router to the new machine, and the new install on the new machine.... so there should be no differences in how the router forwards or anything like that.... there is something else I am just not seeing
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trethacker,

You can find step by step instructions on how to set port forwarding for almost any router model/brand in http://www.portforward.com .
trethacker
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info but the issue is not port forwarding... as a matter of fact, I don't think it is the router at all.

I run an FTP server on the same machine, using the same dns name and all, just a different port, and it works just fine...

The problem is a timeout error when accessing the web server from machines not on the LAN.

I have setup the web server the same way I had done last time... I have the router setup the same way as I had done last time... there are no firewalls on except for the router... my ISP does not block port 80... I have tried other ports anyways, both in the web server and in the router forwarding table...

I can access the web server locally (LAN) and all pages, cgi's, and misc work... it just isnt getting access from the outside.

In the router, External port 80 is forwarded to Internal Port 80... the web server is running on Port 80 and says it is listening.

I have tried port 8000 and several of the other ports including the 102* ports and still no external access.

I know the dns ios working because the FTP is working with the dns name... I know the router is forwarding because the FTP is working... and the web server itself is working because I can access it LAN side...

Maybe that will help in determining what could cause it.

I have run this same issue past several LAN experts, several people in Router forums, and the tech support department of Linksys.

Here is the kicker.

I have setup a second webserver on the same machine. I have set it up with port 80, 8000, and a few others... the problem is that the second webserver is not abyss. And it works fine. On any port.

The trouble ther eis that I dont want to use some other program.. I really like Abyss and would rather use it then some of these other servers that just dont have the capabilities or ease of use factor...

Thanks for any help.
trethacker
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also...

just for reference...

http://www.portforward.com

Does not have any info regarding the NR041 Linksys Router. Thanks for the link tho, I will add it to my collection for others in my web site.
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trethacker wrote:

I have setup a second webserver on the same machine. I have set it up with port 80, 8000, and a few others... the problem is that the second webserver is not abyss. And it works fine. On any port.

What version of Abyss are you using? If you're still using 2.0.0.20 then we recommend upgrading to the lastest 2.0.6. It should solve this kind of issues.

Otherwise, please send to support@aprelium.com your abyss.conf file and let us know what is your port forwarding configuration.
Moxxnixx
-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trethacker wrote:
also...

just for reference...

http://www.portforward.com

Does not have any info regarding the NR041 Linksys Router. Thanks for the link tho, I will add it to my collection for others in my web site.

trethacker, try this link:
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/NetworkEverywhere/NR041/default.htm
trethacker
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the nr041 router. It mentions in that page that you have to use static IP's to forward ports and this is not correct, at least, it isnt correct with this router according to Linksys Support.

After reseting the router and reconfiguring it for normal operation, it appears that I had an error in it somewhere which was somehow blocking http requests on any port... I solved that...

I spoke (again) to roadrunner ISP and they still maintain that they do not block ports to their customers... however, i have also noticed that port 21 does not work (for my ftp server) but a custom port does... just as a custom port works for the webserver.... only the standard ports are not working.

So I believe that Roadrunner DOES in fact block ports from their customers and therefore is the cause of my issues...

I guess I will just have to use ":(custom port#)" at the end of my Site's web address (which is exactly what I was trying to avoid).

Oh well, at least it appears that the server itself is in fact working good as I can access it from other machines on a port other than 80.

Thanks to Roadrunner for the BS they tell their customers. I will be speaking to higher level support tiers tonight to confront them on this issue...
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trethacker,

Thank you for the update.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: