PHP 5.3.1 means XAMPP for me

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeltus
-

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: PHP 5.3.1 means XAMPP for me Reply with quote

I have been an avid fan of Abyss for ages, but I really need to get on with PHP 5.3.* development work.

With no sign of a Pre-compiled PHP module coming out of Aprelium anytime soon, I have regrettably uninstalled it and gone the XAMPP route instead.

It's not as nice an interface as Abyss but then, it gives me access to the latest and greatest PHP versions. Which are must-haves for my development work.

And it gives me the full logging capabilities I expect of an Apache-based distro. Which is a big, big bonus. For those who don't know, I have raised this point before - Apache pretty much by default logs what was GET'd whenever a site is accessed and sperately logs failures to GET (such as, issing img files) - this as a trivial example.

I will be keeping an eye on Aprelium however, with a view to returning when it finally does catch up with the plethora of not-that-easy-to-configure WAMPs out there (fortunately (or not) I am an Apache hack so I know my way around it's arcane-ness)

So c'mon Aprelium, a years' worth of "PHP 5.3 will be released soon"? - if this isn't your highest priority, it should surely be pretty close to it.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium-support
-

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: PHP 5.3.1 means XAMPP for me Reply with quote

zeltus,

You can download Preconfigured PHP new packages here :

PHP 5.2.12:
http://www.aprelium.com/data/php5212.exe

PHP 5.3.1:
http://www.aprelium.com/data/php531.exe

Last edited by aprelium-support on Thu May 20, 2010 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zeltus
-

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news!
Axis
-

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: PHP 5.3.1 Failed for me. Reply with quote

PHP 5.3.1 failed for me resulting in a 500 error of my blog and PHPBB 3.0.7.

I had to revert back to 5.2.10. All worked fine again.

20/May/2010:11:20:09 -0500 SUID: 7 PUID: 7 RUID: 0 URI: Reading 24 bytes failed = The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process ???? From Error Log Viewer Script.

From raw cgi.log:
20/May/2010:11:18:58 -0500 SUID: 5 PUID: 5 RUID: 1 URI: /sixa/strayvoltage/index.php connect() = The system cannot find the file specified.

Thought I'd let you know.

Regards,
Axis
aprelium-support
-

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: PHP 5.3.1 Failed for me. Reply with quote

Axis,

Did you uninstall PHP 5.2.10 before installing PHP 5.3.1 ?

If no, please uninstall it and make sure that the PHP installation directory is deleted (Generally C:\Program Files\PHP5)

If yes, could you please change your php settings from fastcgi to simple cgi and perform the test again ?

We'll be waiting for your reply.
Axis
-

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Aprelium--

No I did not uninstall PHP 5.2.10 but I think I'll just stay with this one for now. Everything works and I'll keep your suggestion in mind. I just didn't want to lose my php.ini settings.

Thanks,
Axis
zeltus
-

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Works for me! Reply with quote

a. Uninstalled PHP5.2.x,
b. deleted Program Files\PHP5 directory (just for good measure!)
c. installed PHP 5.3.*
d. Restarted Abyss

No other changes made at all

result: Nasty PHP timezone warning about umm, not having set a timesone.

A quick edit of php.ini and all is well.

So far, so very good.

I am a happy camper again! :-)
Axis
-

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi zeltus--

Yes, that was where I got to as well. Did a., b, c, (not d) and got what you called the "result: Nasty PHP timezone warning about umm, not having set a timesone."

I guess that is where I quit. I started looking at php.ini but just decided to go back to the earlier install as everything was working fine with the earlier version.

I am glad to read your report as I now know I don't have to go further than php.ini in editing php files. And I still have the 5.3* so I can fiddle a little more when I have the time.

*edit* 5/25/2010*
I tried again and set the time zone. Got phpBB 3 working fine but my blog php script gave me warnings about timezones and wanted me to configure a file on a specific line. I gave that a whirl but no go, (I guess I don't know enough php coding) so it is something that was probably set when I installed the software.) Again, I gave up and went back to 5.2.10. I didn't want to loose all the stuff on my blog.
End edit*

Regards,
Axis

Last edited by Axis on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> FastCGI/CGI All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: