How Do I Read The Logs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angelsan
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: How Do I Read The Logs? Reply with quote

How do I read the logs without stopping the server? I have tried to find this ifo and have not been able to find out how to do it.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Axis
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello angelsan--

I use a log viewer "BareTail" available free from http://www.baremetalsoft.com/

From the vendor:
"BareTail is a real-time file viewing utility. Similar to the Unix tail -f utility, it can be used to view the end of a growing file. It is ideal for viewing logs or traces in real-time. It can be used to view huge files (larger than 2GB) and runs with the same performance regardless of the file size. With BareTail you can scroll to any point in a file instantly, even if the file is enormous. BareTail supports configurable highlighting and international character sets (Unicode and UTF-8)."

Regards,
Axis
angelsan
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Axiz! That works quite well for Windows XP
angelsan
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, my server is running fine, and i am looking at my access log. I see some people trying to access my machine with some strange codes in the line. I imagine they are trying to take control of the server or the computer. Where can I find information as to how to interpret these log records and the codes? Also, what is a favicon.ico that Firefox request whe trying to access a foto in my server?
olly86
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angelsan wrote:
I see some people trying to access my machine with some strange codes in the line.

The code is probably an ICS, or Apache vulnerability attack, so there is nothing to wore about in terms of security. Abyss currently has no know security problems.

angelsan wrote:
Also, what is a favicon.ico that Firefox request whe trying to access a foto in my server?

A favicon is a small image 16*16 pixels that is displayed in the address bar, next to the address of the server. As well as being displayed next to the address in your bookmarks (favorites).
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I get information as to what everything in the logs mean? I am lost trying to read all that info. I can tell what afew of the lines mean, but most of the rest is greek to me. Please porvide any reference material I can study.

Thanks
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The log is written in a standard format known as Common Log Format - this is explained here :

http://www.bacuslabs.com/WsvlCLF.html

If you mean what do individual lines in your log mean - ie ones with strange requests - your best bet is to copy a sample of the request into google. If the request was generated by any type of worm or other automated attack you should see a number of security sites reporting it.
mcwilliams132
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can also try Funnel Web Analyzer...works great, fast and provides great reports - FREE.

http://www.funnelwebcentral.com/
:: "Lobster sticks to magnet!"
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: