SSL Renewal from GoDaddy Configuration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodneywirtz
-

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: SSL Renewal from GoDaddy Configuration Reply with quote

My server has been running with SSL certificate from GoDaddy for the last couple of years. My account automatically renewed and I didn't think much about it until my site stopped working.

So, I went to GoDaddy and they had new certificate files for me to down load. I downloaded the zip which had 3 new files and they were:

123ab4cd45678910.crt this is the Main Certificate

gd_bundle-g2-g1.crt this is the Intermediate Certificate

123ab4cd45678910.pem this is the CA Root Certificate

Open the SSL section and copy and paste these 'keys' into a NEW Certificate Section, name the new certificates Renewal 1 or something different than the original name of the first certificate entry.

So, you will have one Private key that will reference both Certificates. You do not need to renew the Private Key. Just use the three files you downloaded from GoDaddy and enter into a new certificate section with a unique name.

Then you have to go to the Main Menu, in the box, click Configure then General then beside Certificate select the new certificate name you just made... Renewal 1.

Test the site should be working...

Rodney
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: SSL Renewal from GoDaddy Configuration Reply with quote

rodneywirtz,

Have you experienced any issue declaring your new certificate? Is everything working fine right now?
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
rodneywirtz
-

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It couldn't be easier once I knew what was going on... I was originally confused as to which certificate was what. I didn't know how to copy them into the key file textboxes in Abyss Server. The names on the files didn't match the names on the keys. So, I was confused.

When I finally figured it out, it worked perfectly and once I knew where to put everything, it works like a dream.

So, it works fine. Be sure people reading this understand this is a certificate extension by GoDaddy NOT a new certificate from scratch.

Rodney
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodneywirtz,

Thank you for writing this to help other GoDaddy users. May be one should suggest a better wording for their file names.

On our side, we may be adding a way to upload the certificate files in no special order and have Abyss Web Server try to figure out the right order. This could make users life easier.
Forum Administrator
rodneywirtz
-

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin,

Thanks...

Setting up SSL and renewing SSL certificates is confusing. You have a nice explanation in the manual as to how to do this. It was invaluable for me the first time.

Thanks again for your help...

Rodney
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rodneywirtz,

SSL/TLS certificates have always been very complex and we've tried making things easy. But most certification authorities prefer to continue using complex procedures and jargon for no reason.

Quote:
Thanks again for your help...

You're welcome.
Forum Administrator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> SSL/Certificates All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: