Server is slow from external computer HELP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dnphillips
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Server is slow from external computer HELP Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Sorry to trouble you with this. I searched all the forums and couldn't find a specific fix. I'm running Abyss on a home computer with a shared lynksys router (shared with one other computer). It works. However, i've noticed that it is very slow on external computers.

Here's the address of my website: http://24.33.28.149:1975/stickfront.htm
or use domain name http://www.dnphillips.com to get there.

You'll see that it works, but for some reason those jpg's are loading very slowly.

I use winxp. I have no firewall activated (unchecked in xp) and use AVG antivirus. My router points to port 1975.

Is there a special way to configure the linksys for abyss to which someone might link me that might optimize my connection?

Is there a special setting in my control panel that might optimize my ram that i'm not aware of?

Does anyone know an easy way to check for memory leaks in xp?

Thanks so much!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
senshi
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

open your routers access control and navigate to the port forwarding and click on th plug n play settings button, you will already see port 80 pre set in the configuration, simply point it to the IP address of the machine your running abyss on and ensure that TCP is selected as the transport protocol and then apply the change and then try again.

If you still cant see your server via your URL then you have a configuration setting thats wrong, check the firewall settings (not router) allow port 80 access to your machine, I suggest Zonealarm as this presents the least configuration problems.

Also ensure that your webserver is listening to port 80 on the machine that your running the server on.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is all about your connection. If you have a consumer/home ADSL or Cable connection, you will normally only get around 128-256Kbps upstream, which will give your website the speed it has.

If you would like to test your line speed, go to http://www.broadbandreports.com/stest to find out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: