Gatewayservers.co.uk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
creativeyonder
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Gatewayservers.co.uk Reply with quote

Quality hosting, for quality prices :)

Main server http://gatewandromeda.no-ip.com - Hosted by abyss!

www.gatewayservers.co.uk - for all sales and subscriptions :) Feel free to ask any questions :)

Thanks for looking!
Ryan
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of bare looking site...

Are you just running the whole set of hosting off a basic Freedom2Surf DSL account, 256k upstream etc ?
creativeyonder
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope,

most of it is going on another server at my m8s house, he got 2mb dsl
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most UK DSL only has 256k upstream, regardless of downstream - so I'd assume he's on 2mbit down, 256k up... Just wondering why anyone would pay £3/month for hosting on a 256k link when they could pay the same for 10mbit on multiple backbones...
creativeyonder
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hes on 720k upstream or something :S i cant remember,

u seem against me for some reason,
creativeyonder
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im hosting about 6 sites on my connection, and 12 on the other server about 1 mile away from me.

No one is complaining, about speed issues...
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing against you personally, I've just never understood anyone who thinks they can sell hosting off of their DSL when you can pay the same for professional hosting on full upstream... Questions were because I thought you might have got a server running Windows and Abyss co-lo'd somewhere. You did say to ask any questions :S
00squeaky
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are going to host people, you musts have a T1+ connection. oif not, your connection is too slow.
Foxified
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

00squeaky wrote:
if you are going to host people, you musts have a T1+ connection. oif not, your connection is too slow.

its close, and like he said, no one is complainign, and his making some money ^.^ which is always nice to have

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence, but if your trying to sell hosting on DSL then good luck. You might be able to sucker someone into it (Who obviously doesnt know a thing) then I can believe it. Other than that you can pay as low as 3 dollars for Quality hosting and get your moneys worth!
creativeyonder
-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like i have repeated about 20 thousand times!! There is a main server, about a mile away from me.. and a really nice connection - basically all peoples sites are hosted on that... and no one is complaining, so keep your comments to your self.. because you know nothing!

> Fool <
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've said yourself it's in the UK and hosted on DSL, at most, it has 384k upstream. Hardly really nice. You asked for comments, you got them. Make your mind up.
Stone-D
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creativeyonder wrote:
nope,

most of it is going on another server at my m8s house, he got 2mb dsl

I really like to see this thread die. What, exactly, do you mean by 2mb dsl?
k1ll3rdr4g0n
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait let me get this straight.....hes selling webspace when -looks around this site- you could just setup Abyss on your own comp and get as much webspace as you want for ummm...FREE! (plus the explanitions to setup PHP and all the other stuff are FULLY explanied.)

Pathetic.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k1ll3rdr4g0n wrote:
wait let me get this straight.....hes selling webspace when -looks around this site- you could just setup Abyss on your own comp and get as much webspace as you want for ummm...FREE! (plus the explanitions to setup PHP and all the other stuff are FULLY explanied.)

I think he is offering the bandwidth (or lack thereof).
-

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k1ll3rdr4g0n wrote:

Pathetic.

security, maybe people would like not to be watching their comps, leaving on 24/7, electricity charges, bandwith charges. and, his trying to make some money, let him be with it, if he makes money, thats cool, and if his customers are happy, everything is fine for him and dont go around taking him or her down or the idea of selling services. maybe also, they have dialup, that would be a very good server, would it?!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks fox :)
k1ll3rdr4g0n
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxified wrote:
security, maybe people would like not to be watching their comps, leaving on 24/7, electricity charges, bandwith charges. and, his trying to make some money, let him be with it, if he makes money, thats cool, and if his customers are happy, everything is fine for him and dont go around taking him or her down or the idea of selling services. maybe also, they have dialup, that would be a very good server, would it?!

Simple solution for security, put up a firewall (XP has one built in, but many users have had problems with it so i wouldnt reccomend it) <_<. Electricty aint that much for the amount the comp will suck, solution buy a cheap small comp setup so everything you need starts up ie. abyss web server (make it so it doesnt ask for a password on startup), disable keyboard checking, plug power cord in (so the only thing you have pluged in are power and ethernet)...push the power button and walk away (of course make sure your ethernet is pluged in ;)). It is possible to host a website on dail-up, however downloads will be slow, and dont host to many pictures but however if your site is 99.9% text (which then it would be a pretty bland site) itll load on the user side longer than it normally would but itll take an extra fre sec so.....your upstream would be about 3kb/s thats about 3000 bytes of information per second one word is about 4 bytes so in total a page can have a maximun of 750 words/page to have it take one second. Now if your site is pretty popular and people want to vist it well....then say 2 people vist it (to do this math we have to take 750/2 = 350) so.... the 2 users together can view 350 words per second. Now lets say 3 people vist it at the same time (i think you know where im going with this.... 750/3 = 250) so the 3 people who vist the site all together can only view 250 words per second. And so on and so on.......

FYI: these figures are NOT! exact they are just my best guestimates, but neither the less they are pretty close.

P.S. Im 99.9% sure this is right....i think aprelium can verify this.
Foxified
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also maybe their ISP doesnt allow them to serve websites . Maybe they wanna have a isp to keep...

also, maybe the comp theyre scared hard drives may crash, over heating, lack of computer knowledge, ease of not having to have that responsibility, paranoid.Maybe, they cannot have ASP, maybe they have windows 95-98SE (98 being very very very popular) and not be able to provide specific scripting kinds, maybe they dont have XP for this "xp" security, maybe they use their comps for something else, like gaming, and cant have abyss running (maybe it slows them down or something), Bandsites, your wrong, they have MUSIC TO DOWNLOAD off their site (administrating 3 on apache, etc) I know, they require more then a dialup if you want a good site.

Maybe, abyss is too much for them to handle, maybe they have busy lives, and
dont have time to watch over their comps, or do any web administrating,
maybe, they decided, No to the option of making themselves their own host, so decided not to do it. and, Ill re-eterize bandwith limits, Much like me, and being limited to 3gbs/mo, which, Would be killer doing all the things I do, and hosting would just not be good option.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxified wrote:
also maybe their ISP doesnt allow them to serve websites .

Use port 81

Foxified wrote:
Maybe they wanna have a isp to keep...

huh?....wtd are you talking about....if you pay for an ISP doesnt that mean u wanna keep it?

Foxified wrote:
also, maybe the comp theyre scared hard drives may crash, over heating,

Backup anyone?

Foxified wrote:
lack of computer knowledge, ease of not having to have that responsibility, paranoid.

The forums are here so people who have lack of coumpter knowledge can post here. Paranoid, i highly doubt it, they just dont where to start...then i tell them about Abyss and there like wow im going to start hosting my own website.

Foxified wrote:
Maybe, they cannot have ASP,

http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-asp-hosting.php

Foxified wrote:
maybe they have windows 95-98SE (98 being very very very popular) and not be able to provide specific scripting kinds,

I thought Abyss and all the other 3rd party applications work on 95/98/ME

Foxified wrote:
maybe they dont have XP for this "xp" security,

Heres 2 alternatives:
http://www.download.com/Sygate-Personal-Firewall/3000-2092-10247416.html?tag=lst-0-3
http://www.download.com/Enigma-Firewall/3000-2092-10284670.html?tag=lst-0-12

Foxified wrote:
maybe they use their comps for something else, like gaming, and cant have abyss running (maybe it slows them down or something),

Heres the system reqirments:
"This guide documents the Windows version. Abyss Web Server X1 for Windows minimum requirements are:

An Intel 80386 processor at 33 MHz.

8 Mb of RAM.

A web browser with HTML 4.0 support.

TCP/IP protocol stack installed.
"
I dont even think Doom can run on that, and if it slows them down while playing a game, it shouldnt because the processer would handle it, assuming they had enough memory, it may lag someone while playing a multi-player game while someone is downloading something from you but thats the tradeoff you do. You are strongly encourged to make a deadcatied server so that doesnt happen.

Foxified wrote:
Bandsites, your wrong, they have MUSIC TO DOWNLOAD off their site (administrating 3 on apache, etc) I know, they require more then a dialup if you want a good site.

A good site constitues as it has content and the content is good and truthfull

Not just a site where it says "Welcome to my site and enjoy the music".
A good site would be "Click here for cheat codes" and it has tons of codes.

Foxified wrote:
Maybe, abyss is too much for them to handle, maybe they have busy lives,

If Abyss is to much for them to handle....then god help them because its pretty dummy proof.

Foxified wrote:
and dont have time to watch over their comps, or do any web administrating,

You dont have to watch the computer 24/7. Id say 5 min a day, not even that.

Foxified wrote:
maybe, they decided, No to the option of making themselves their own host, so decided not to do it.

....then they can get webspace for free.....heres serveral examples:
http://thefreesite.com/Free_Web_Space/
http://www.free-webspace.org/
http://www.webhosts4free.com/
http://free.hostultra.com/ <-- this one has unlimited space and unlimited bandwith (limit filesize to like 900kbs i think....)

Foxified wrote:
and, Ill re-eterize bandwith limits, Much like me, and being limited to 3gbs/mo, which, Would be killer doing all the things I do, and hosting would just not be good option.

Wait....if you have a connection to the internet as in DSL you have a bandwith limit, i dont think so you can have an many people vist ur site as you want (assuming ur the one hosting) the speed at which they d/l will be affected yes, however you set your own bandwith limits.

P.S. Stop flaming me
olly86
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k1ll3rdr4g0n wrote:
Foxified wrote:
huh?....wtd are you talking about....if you pay for an ISP doesnt that mean u wanna keep it?
I've had an ISP disconnect, and fine me for running a server!!
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm thats unlucky,

how high was fine?
Foxified
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe their rich, dont care about anything, and 5dollars, or whatever he charges sounds good to them as long as they can be lazy rich,

Quote:
Foxified wrote:

Ive had a ISP disconnect me..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original point was why pay $5 for hosting on a single DSL based server which probably has no UPS, backup connection or even actual permission to run a server when you can pay $5 for

Quote:
Our Network of Servers, Switches and Routers is connected directly to the Internet via redundant 10 and 100 MBPS lines in the Cable & Wireless Jersey City datacenter in New Jersey.

Quote:
2 Secure Locations...

Quote:
All Sites Have...
24/7 On Site Technicians
Advanced Network Monitoring
Raised Floors
Fire-Retardent Structures
Zoned Temperature Control

Quote:

300 MB Disk Space
8 Gig Data X-fer
Control Panel
Webmail Access
Unmetered FTP/E-Mail
1 Hosted Domain

Seems an obvious choice which is more sensible to pay to have your site hosted on...
olly86
-

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creativeyonder wrote:
hmm thats unlucky,

how high was fine?
£40
-

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymoose wrote:
You've said yourself it's in the UK and hosted on DSL, at most, it has 384k upstream. Hardly really nice. You asked for comments, you got them. Make your mind up.

And i gave mine.

P.S. http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/HostingHome;jsessionid=C693A04E55BDC35235D55C9DC8944BC2.TC62a?__frame=_top
5$ a month can get you this.

And also if anyone has comcast they know how often they get disconnected(not shut off you would just lose internet), i remember i got disconnect at least once a month. And most ISPs wont fine you for hosting a small site on your little corner of cyberspace, now if you start getting as much traffic as yahoo then yeah i can see it, but not to have a small personal site because the bandwith usage would be so small it would be unnoticable. Hell most ISPs GIVE you webspace (if they dont then well....form your own opinion).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Powered by Abyss All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: