MYSQL setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ville1955
-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: MYSQL setup Reply with quote

Are there more up to date instructions for installing the latest version of mysql on Abyss, I am having problems understanding the one I have found on here as the version mentioned is no longer available and the code format is written differently for newer versions, I have installed version 8 it appears to be installed but I don't understand how to make it work with abyss, how do you make Abyss see mysql? I have installed PHP with no problem and it works fine, I am also having problem with myphpadmin 4.8 so I guess I don't understand how to tie in Abyss and mysql and myphpadmin and PHP so they work together so if someone knows of a more up to date website or file I can visit with more clear and up to date instructions I would be most grateful if you can point me in the right direction.

Thank you.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: MYSQL setup Reply with quote

Ville1955,

MySQL is available in a clean and easy to use installer. We are assuming you are on Windows. If this is not the case, please let us know what system you're having.
You can download it directly from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/ . The Web site will detect your Windows version and will offer the best MySQL match for download. Click on the "Download" button in the "Recommended Download:" section.

Run the installer and follow the on screen instructions. Always validate the default values (they are good for most uses).
At some stage of the installation you will be asked to choose a password for the database. This password is for the database administrator (root) and will be useful for accessing MySQL and configuring scripts (such as PhpMyAdmin). So note it down and do not forget it.

To manage the SQL database, you can install later a Web application/script such as the popular PhpMyAdmin.
Our recommendation though is to start with a free Windows tool to manage MySQL databases (similar to PhpMyAdmin but it does not require any setup on the web server). It is called SQLyog and is available from https://github.com/webyog/sqlyog-community/wiki/Downloads .

By the way, the "connection" between MySQL and PHP is done by correctly configuring the Web application (such as Wordpress) and letting them know where MySQL is installed (locally or on a remote server) and giving them your MySQL username/password.
The Web server has not to know (and does not care) about MySQL. It requires that PHP is well declared only. And it is up to PHP to run your Web applications code, and it is that code which instructs PHP or its libraries to connect to the MySQL database and get/update data from it.
Forum Administrator
Aprelium - https://aprelium.com
jxxaxxy
-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abyss isn't the problem in this case. PHP is what actually makes the connection to your MySQL database. The problem has to do with MySQL 8.0 and the php login algorithm.

MySQL 8.0 uses caching_sha2_password by default which php doesn't use or at least not right now.

You have to convert your MySQL user to use mysql_native_password.
There will be other issues with doing this as well where you will need to change a setting in my.cnf so that new users and passwords use this setting as well.

I am not an expert on this but I tried to use MySQL 8.0 for test purposes and did a lot of research to find out that is what the issue is.

I just ran through the installer options. On the Type of Networking page at the bottom there is a box for Show Advanced and Logging Options.

Check that and the next screen takes you to the Authentication Method screen. You can change it to the Legacy 5.x (AKA native) password setting.

Or install MySQL 5.7.24 which still uses the old native_password setting.
Jimmy Logan
-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find the setup on dev.mysql.com, go to the site download and install.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Databases All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: