Web Photo Gallery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsownsby
-

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Web Photo Gallery Reply with quote

After looking for quite a while, I located "Gallery" a web-based photo gallery (album-maker) that works very well with Abyss. It's available at http://gallery.sourceforge.net/ and is free. It requires only requires PHP and a few standard, Linux image processing modules.

It has administrative controls that address public or secured viewing of any album. It seems to cause little loading to the web server and though I'm using a home-based, Linux machine with Abyss connected via DSL, web pages are created quickly and with an attractive selection of skins to change the appearance of the albums.

There is also a companion software package called Gallery Remote (also free) that enables you to interact with the web software and upload and create albums very quickly. Normally, creating web albums more or less manually, took quite a while but with Gallery, it only takes a few minutes and most of that is simply waiting for the image files to upload. A trick I learned is to make sure you set up an aliase for the path to the Gallery files or you get an album without graphics.

Gallery is an attractive, wonderful and quick method of sharing photos with family or friends and if you're Abyss on your own machine, there are basically no size limits on how many photos you can have on-line (just the size of your hard drive).

Gary

Keywords: Abyss, Fedora Linux, Photo Gallery, Albums, Sourceforge, DSL

Last edited by gsownsby on Wed May 12, 2004 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
nquin321
-

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like:

http://jalbum.net/

but that looks pretty nice :)
-

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAlbum looks good but I think it is a PC-based, web-albummaker then it uploads the finished web pages to your website? Is that correct? I have used a couple of those before. They were good but I wanted to avoid having to process on the PC then upload.

Gallery does all the processing on the server. It carries the heavy lifting so to speak and man, does it make albums fast! Just upload the images and you're done. All that is stored on the server is the thumbnail image and the original. The web pages are created on-the-fly as needed.

I've used Gallery for almost a month and as fast as I can get to an Internet connection and upload, my albums are on-line. It's really pretty slick and it has a search function that enables you to locate individual photos or albums on a particular topic (provided, of course, that you put in a few words or captions to say what an album or photo was about). It's a very remarkable product and seems to have a very active user group with various hacks and mods to consider.

But whichever package one uses and is happy with is the RIGHT one to get those photos out there! :-)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Exterus
-

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like coppermine best. http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/

Most CMS has plugins/modules to integrate it as well.
goose
-

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and best of all they are freeeeeeeeeeeeeee !

did i say freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee beaut! ;p

mawuahahaha :)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
goose
-

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opening the source was good.....

i am now licking my lips waiting for more goodies....to put with me source!

hehehe ;p

mawuahahaha :)
Gerrit
-

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: 4Images Reply with quote

Yet better,

Take a lookat www.4homepages.de for the 4images script. I use it myself, see www.windvangers.homedns.org ,within the Abyss We Server.

Greetings

Gerrit - The Netherlands
MeriBOT
-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like coppermine best. http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/

too :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: