Non disk request

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boris
-

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Non disk request Reply with quote

I want to make a request to Abyss server that doesn't try to read from the disk.. i'm looking for a simple way to see if Abyss is running, but without the HDD spinning up.

How?
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
BobN
-

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This actually has nothing to do with the software - such as Abyss.

I think I can safely say that 99% of the time any action taken with a PC will cause HDD activity.

Perhaps the piece of software being run doesn't use the HDD at all but the operating system does and can. I you want to run a piece of code that is currently swapped to the page file, the OS will have to read that file to put the software in real memory from where it will be executed.

I cannot think of any way something can be done to assure that no HDD activity takes place

Well -- if you take out the HDD and run everything from a server, you could eliminate HDD activity. But the server's HDD would be active

Why don't you want the HDD to spin up?

Bob
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
pkSML
-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No guarantees here, but you could make an alias (virtual directory) in Abyss pointing to a directory on a ramdrive. Then Abyss would serve up the file from the ramdrive, presumably without having to activate the hard drive.

Another thought: you could try loading the console URL. If it prompts you for a username and password, then you know Abyss is running. I don't know if that will entail spinning up your drive. Let us know if you find a solution!

Edit: I just realized this post is six months old... Thought it was more recent.

http://CodeBin.yi.org
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: