Complicated networking problem (solved)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tritonstar
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Complicated networking problem (solved) Reply with quote

Ive download and used the server alot, and it worked fine.
The situation i had was the following:

My pc --> Router --> dsl connection

Now i changed a few settings in the router and it all worked. A few days ago i got my second pc up and running, and decided to let that pc be the server (so my daily activities wouldnt interrupt the server). This is the new situation:

Server pc --> my pc --> router --> dsl connection

Im unable to connect to the server pc. The pc has a connection to the internet, which is working since i can use my browser etc. etc.

What settings do i have to change to get the server running on that pc?

Last edited by tritonstar on Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Complicated networking problem Reply with quote

tritonstar,

Your PC must act as a gateway between your router and your server PC.
If you're using a firewall software (or XP integrated firewall) on this PC, configure it to forward connections on some port to your Server PC. This is very similar to what you did with the router.
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the server PC connected to your main PC ?

Do you mean it's actually

Code:

Server PC ->
                 Router -> DSL
Main   PC ->

or is the server PC connected through your PC to the internet ?

If it's actually connected via your main PC, you're going to need an application running on your main PC to forward all traffic for the server to the server PC and relay it back from the server PC to the internet.

This application has worked well for me in the past when I needed to do this :

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/autapf.html

You configure it in a very similar way to how you'd set up port forwarding on your router - run the application and set it to forward all traffic on whatever port you normally have Abyss running on to the IP of the server PC.[/code]
tritonstar
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well call me a total noob, i have no idea on how to set up that program. Ive installed it, but it seems to me that it will make traffic -from- my server pc go through my main pc. Thats nice, but i also need traffic to go the other way :).

Anyways its not working, i have these settings:
Local port: | Local IP:
80 (i use it for Abyss) | Blank (all ip's)

Remote port: | Remote host adress:
80 | Client's IP (or i could give my ip, the same ip my server has, i suppose it doesnt matter)

I have no clue what im doing wrong here, but thanks for your help so far :)

EDIT: When i try to acces my website (by typing in my ip, all the numbers in the program do change, untill it says page cannot be found. The same thing happens when I try to connect to my ftp server (on the same pc as the webserver), so the program is obviously blocking it or something. Dont know if that helps you out :)

Oh, i am not using firewall software (well actually i am, but i ALWAYS turn it off when testing this kind of stuff)
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... The program was to install on your main PC and send traffic from the main PC to the server PC. If you already have a shared connection set up where the server PC can access the internet through your main PC, you don't need to worry about traffic going back the other way - it will just send traffic out directly via whatever method you've used. The exception is if you're just providing a proxy on your main PC for the server PC to access the internet...

When installed on your main PC, the settings should be the same for local (leave it blank, listening on port 80), the remote port/host address is the IP of the server PC) - the reason you're doing this is to allow traffic from the internet to be arrive at your main PC and be forwarded on to the server PC. Making more sense ? :)

This is far from the ideal solution, but if it's all you have, it's all you have. A better alternative would be a modem/router with a built in hub and multiple ports that both PCs can be plugged into directly, or some proper routing software like WinRoute on your main PC.
tritonstar
-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a very stupid mistake :P, i thought the host was my main ip adress, so no wonder it didnt work, it sent all the traffic back where it came from :P.

Its all working now, thanks ALOT.

Its not a very beautiful site, but if you do want to see what you helped me out with: http://www.imagehosting.tk I think you can guess what the purpose of the site is going to be :P If not, well, too bad i spose :wink:

Praise you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: