Perl problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ton 1512

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:16 pm    Post subject: Perl problems Reply with quote

:) I am really impressed with Abyss...I tried all the available webservers sofar but Abyss is easy and good!!

I was the whole day busy with trying to get Perl scripts to work...My Abyss is running on a windows XP platform and Perl just doesn't seem to work with Windows...Is it true that Perl only works well on Unix platforms? All the time I get messages like "File cannot be opened" "Cannot send" "Directory cannot be opened" Get really sick of this...

Just had to get that off my chest!
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Perl problems Reply with quote

Thank you :D
Have you followed our Perl installation guidelines in http://www.aprelium.com/abyssws/perl.html ?
Pink1512

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:27 am    Post subject: Perl problems Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, I followed the clear instructions by Aprelium exactly. If I make a simple script...Perl works just fine. Problems arrive when I download a more extensive Perl script like a guestbook for instance. As soon as files have to be written to my directories it goes wrong. And I know CHMOD doesn't make any sense in Windows. Most of the Perl scripts you find on the Net are written for Unix platforms..Is it true that those scripts won't work on a Windows platform?

Any tips would be much appreciated...Thanks!
aprelium
-

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Perl problems Reply with quote

Pink1512 wrote:
Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, I followed the clear instructions by Aprelium exactly. If I make a simple script...Perl works just fine. Problems arrive when I download a more extensive Perl script like a guestbook for instance. As soon as files have to be written to my directories it goes wrong. And I know CHMOD doesn't make any sense in Windows. Most of the Perl scripts you find on the Net are written for Unix platforms..Is it true that those scripts won't work on a Windows platform?

Any tips would be much appreciated...Thanks!

We have tested a lot of Perl scripts (even forums and some complicated pieces of code) and most of them run without problems.
But it is common in the web scripting world to edit scripts and to modify it in to have them work on your platform. The common problems comes from the filenames. If they are hardcoded using UNIX semantics then you'll need to change them in order to work under Windows.
If you need some help with some particular script, feel free to contact us either on the forum or by sending an email to support@aprelium.com .
name

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might suggest you change the permissions anyway. use an ftp program like ws ftp and just change them on your local side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: