Line Usage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pocketpac
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Line Usage Reply with quote

I have a server hooked to a internet connection that is 1 Mbit down and 1.2 Mbit up, and I was curious how many people can be connected to my server before it become unbarebly slow. Im talking about parallel connections. I have searched the internet for ways of finding out but I have come up empty handed. Just curious what you guys think would be a good limit to set on the server for parellel connections.
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Anonymoose
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's really no concrete answer - it depends on how popular you expect your site to be ( realistically :wink: ), the content you'll be hosting and the users. Will there be a constant stream of traffic, or dribs and drabs of visitors, visitors only during USA daytime type hours etc.

It's not the number of simultaneous connections that will limit your site, it's the content, and the download speed available to the users accessing it. For example, if you're hosting a bunch of mp3/video files and you have only one user accessing the site, and they're on 2mbit, they can in theory download faster than you can upload, so once they start downloading from you, anyone else connecting to the site will see it as very very slow. On the other hand, if you have a bunch of plain text files and users on 56k, they can only download at 5k/sec max, so in theory you could support around 24 users simultaneously downloading.

Again, this is theoretical since you're unlikely to have 24 users all accessing files at exactly the same time; more likely that they'll all be slightly out of whack - one will have just finished downloading a page and started reading it when the next one accesses etc.

Also, be aware that if you're on ADSL (not sure about SDSL), when you hit the max upload speed, your own download speeds will suffer. Unfortunately Abyss doesn't yet have a max upload restriction - I work around this by hosting any large files on my own FTP, which can be capped.

BTW, you have a higher upload than download speed ? Unusual!
Back to top View user's profile Send private message
pocketpac
-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, Im rated at 1 Mbit download and 128 Kbit upload, and I have done several speed test, all of which rate from 900 kbit upload to 1.2-3 Mbit upload. I think my ISP mucked up the upload cap for me, but hey, I ain't complaining :-)
Back to top View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
iNaNimAtE
-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.2Mbit upload.. I was going to say.. How much to you pay for that?! :D
-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.2 Mb/s uplod ?

I have 700 Kb/s uplod and 1 Mb/s download.
-

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these speeds you are claiming coming from your ISP, or are you taking speed tests?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aprelium Forum Index -> Networking Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: